short throw shifter from dealership or aftermarket

This is a discussion on short throw shifter from dealership or aftermarket within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Looking at getting a WRX and was wondering if the short throw shifter is something to consider as an option ...

short throw shifter from dealership or aftermarket

Looking at getting a WRX and was wondering if the short throw shifter is something to consider as an option from the dealer or to just add an aftermarket one. How do they compare from dealer vs a Cobb short throw or any other one? Any input is appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well its up to you but most switch to the Kartboy shifter. I have the Suabru short throw and it works well for me but I have yet to sit in a car that has the stock, kartboy or cobb for comparison. Definitely opt out of the shifter bushings and go aftermarket
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I have a Cobb nock-off looks just like Cobb but was cheaper and have had no problems so far and I'm at 22k miles now :-)
    2013 WRX Premium SWP HB Stage 2
    1976 Corvette Stingray black
    2008 WRX Basic CBS HB TRADED IN
    2002 WRX Basic WRB SOLD

I haven't experienced a short throw on the wrx or sti yet but i do want one so I'm looking at the Cobb

anybody ever get the chance to experience and compare the different shifters? this is hella noobish but what do the bushings do? what difference do you feel?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyRama4
    anybody ever get the chance to experience and compare the different shifters? this is hella noobish but what do the bushings do? what difference do you feel?
    Bushings > Lever

Reduced play makes for better shifting.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Just wanted to bump this up to see if anybody had anymore input. I'm looking at 2 different wrx's; one with the short throw and one without. Want to see if there was any big difference between the dealer's and an aftermarket short throw.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is this the 2015 or earlier? If 14 down I believe the aftermarket short throw (non adjustable) will be shorter the factory option. If you can get a chance and the dealerships arent too far go sit in them and see how it feels. Im a taller guy so when I rest my arm on my arm rest extension the shifter sits perfectly at my had position instead of lower.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I went for the factory short throw after reading a lot of complaints about the stock setup. Shifting is still really notchy, unless I rev the piss out of it or double clutch a lot. I hear some kartboy shift bushings will improve the situation. So having said that, I would recommend getting the stock setup and replacing both the shifter and bushings with aftermarket.

Anyone have feedback on the '15 6 speed?
    2013 WRX Premium Hatch DGM

I've got the factory short shifter on my '15, and I think the throws are pretty long. It came with the car and I've yet to compare the throws on a car without it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

i have the Kartboy ss with front and rear bushings. I drove with the stock shifter and bushings for about six months and there is definitely a difference.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I've got the bushings in now and those alone make a big difference and very easy to install. Sts comes in in a few days 🙌

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    I've got the bushings in now and those alone make a big difference and very easy to install. Sts comes in in a few days ��

Good to hear it was an easy install for you. It was a pain in ass for me lmao.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

Quote Originally Posted by jsantos1082 View Post
    Good to hear it was an easy install for you. It was a pain in ass for me lmao.
    Lol I've heard. I think what made it pretty painless is I have a lift.. it really isn't bad to thread in the rear bushing...just wiggle it around a bit while turning the bolts worked out really nice

Quote Originally Posted by nsibanez View Post
    Lol I've heard. I think what made it pretty painless is I have a lift.. it really isn't bad to thread in the rear bushing...just wiggle it around a bit while turning the bolts worked out really nice

AHHH you have a lift, thats nice man. All i have were ramps and jack stands which were enough to do the job but space was a little bit limited. THreading that rear bolt was what took so long for me but eventually got it to go in.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82