New Member from Katy/Houston Tx.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Member from Katy/Houston Tx. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hows it going? Just picked up a 2015 WRX with a CVT (family man sry lol) and am really enjoying ...

New Member from Katy/Houston Tx.

Hows it going? Just picked up a 2015 WRX with a CVT (family man sry lol) and am really enjoying it. I personally find the CVT to be pretty aggressive when switched to one of the 2 sport modes and it handles like a dream. When the WRX came out i was joining the Marines and told myself i would own one eventually. I saw my friends do some pretty dumb crap with theirs so i decided not too. Now that im turning 30 i think im mature enough to handle the responsibilty of owning a WRX. Well at least i hope so lol. This car is pretty damn temting at times. I look forward to learning more about the WRX community as time goes on. My next purchase may be an older STI that i can tune on and keep this as a daily driver.

Edit: not sure how they CVT will handle more HP. Any insight will be helpful

Edit for pics
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1966719_10152092871953354_2802138241051540519_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	145185
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10262021_10152092874483354_57388090602580118_n.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	145193
    Last edited by Mike0341; 04-23-2014 at 04:36 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!! Looking good.
    2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Desert Khaki
    2011 Subaru WRX SWP
    Stink-Eye Mob # 1907

OH man a local!!! nice whip!!! be safe

Thank man. Ill try lol

I'm curious how much power the cvt holds, however I think it's blasphemy to put one, or even a dual clutch auto, into a sports car. Most of us are family men with our stage 2 manual cars, like you said, it's how responsible you are. My 18 month old loves the quiet rumble, says I could work on my shifts though..
    Congrats! Welcome and enjoy! One of the first cvt New guys

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I test drove both cars and loved them both. My wife cant drive a manual and has always wanted a sporty car and hopefully in a few years this will be her car while i upgrade to an STI. so there was a method to my madness lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    I'm curious how much power the cvt holds, however I think it's blasphemy to put one, or even a dual clutch auto, into a sports car. Most of us are family men with our stage 2 manual cars, like you said, it's how responsible you are. My 18 month old loves the quiet rumble, says I could work on my shifts though..
    Congrats! Welcome and enjoy! One of the first cvt New guys

I see what you're saying but then the GT-R comes up and then what.... I mean if that car came in manual yeah it would be fun to drive but i don't think it would be as fast as it is... Maybe this is a convo for a different time and place..

No its perfectly acceptable. Im very curious how much power i can add to my car with blowing the CVT.

Can i get up to 400hp safely? How about 500? Most likely not 500 with severe reliability issues but 400 would be nice.

I personally am only interested in a DP, and exhaust but it would be nice to know i could add a bit more later if i wanted to.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Congrats! I think you'll be mature enough lol.

What is/was your MOS?

I was an 0341. How about you?

Also i just found this:Any opinions on the reliability of the Subaru CVT transmissions? - NASIOC

It seems the CVTs are overbuilt for the cars they were originally in and may be very well set up for some abuse. Not 100% positive and will keep searching. I do know itll cost a fortune to rebuild if i blow it to pieces lol.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    1371, although not yet. I'm in the DEP right now. I wanted to get a little more college under my belt first.

That makes sense. I went in back in 2001 when i turned 17 and got out in '10. Currently in school now. Good luck and keep your head up.

Quote Originally Posted by BOshea View Post
    I see what you're saying but then the GT-R comes up and then what.... I mean if that car came in manual yeah it would be fun to drive but i don't think it would be as fast as it is... Maybe this is a convo for a different time and place..
    No doubt that that is a fast car, so are 911s, and maseratis and lambos and ferrari, but guess what? They are all autos. If I can launch a car and run 11s all day without lifting my hand from the wheel and foot from the gas, or run same times as my mom, then there's a problem. I'm a driving enthusiast, manual cars for me til they are gone.
    No doubt the PDK tranny and some dual clutch are quicker than manual, but there's no fun in it. Hell, there's not even a manual option for any of these cars...sucks...

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    No doubt that that is a fast car, so are 911s, and maseratis and lambos and ferrari, but guess what? They are all autos. If I can launch a car and run 11s all day without lifting my hand from the wheel and foot from the gas, or run same times as my mom, then there's a problem. I'm a driving enthusiast, manual cars for me til they are gone.
    No doubt the PDK tranny and some dual clutch are quicker than manual, but there's no fun in it. Hell, there's not even a manual option for any of these cars...sucks...

I fully agree with you that it does take a very large amount of skill out of driving. However, it does not make it any less fun and thats what these cars are about. I fully miss driving a manual trans but its just not practical for my every day life. Also, from a company perspective, it makes sense to have powerful cars with a beefy auto trans. Driving as an art form has been lost over the years and there are a ton of people whom cant drive a stick to save their lives. Much less drive a high hp / high torque vehicle with a manual. To many of these car are sent to dealers with blown clutches or even blown motors due to improper technique.

So while i fully miss the art of driving a stick, i embrace the future of automotive technology. Additionally, my grandmother may get a great ET at the strip but taking the back roads still take skill even with an auto. Especially if its a dirt or gravel road.

This debate can go on all day. But at the end of the day it's what brings you joy. If you're and enthusiast and like feel of controlling the gearbox and Mashing multiple pedals with your feet then there you go. If you like paddles on your steering wheel with quicker gear response time then high end exotics are your cup of tea. All that matter is the size of your smile in the drivers seat. And Be Safe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.