Future WRX driver!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Future WRX driver! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi! My name is Phil and I currently drive a 2004 vw jetta GLI. I plan to sell the car ...

Future WRX driver!

Hi! My name is Phil and I currently drive a 2004 vw jetta GLI. I plan to sell the car in the near future (late spring/ summer) and I am planning to get a 2012 impreza WRX.

I plan to do a lot of my own modifications to the WRX most of which are already planned out and listed below. Any advice or tips would be a great help in building my car.

Things I've planned for the WRX.

1) suspension. Thinking Raceland coilovers but I'm looking into other brands as well.
    2) Intake/exhaust. intake would be a typical cone filter assembly. exhaust will consist of a 2.5 - 3" catless downpipe, with a dual twin tip catback exhaust (haven't looked into this yet so I'd like to know of some of the better brands of exhaust systems out there)
    3) Turbocharger I want to upgrade the turbocharger to something like a borgwarner efr6758 nothing too outrageous so i'd have to modify the entire engine, just to give it a tad more power 100-150 added hp will do fine for now (i'm not jeremy clarkson), waste gate to get the awesome squirrels being stomped on noise, front mount intercooler, but that would be a part of the intake.

4) Rims bitch! Wheels! planning on getting VMR 718 or 710 wheels need help on planning the wheel size cuz i'm not too familiar with the subaru wheel hub specs. (off set, stock camber,) all i know is that they are 5x114 bolt pattern
    5) other cosmetic mods. I want to get led tail lights, xenon headlights. I also want to get a new front and rear lip.

If you could give any advice, harrass me, call me gay as people on the internet would. I'm a very friendly person and always willing to talk cars with people!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

With 400 hp, plan for a transmission build in your near future.
    Cobb SF intake retains stock location and ram air.
    Aem is a true CAI, but you may have trouble running a fmic with it.
    Invidia n1 is a popular catback, I like nameless series though.
    Invidia DP is a great one and comes with an extra bung for wideband.
    Whiteline sways are a great first mod, with new bushings.
    No idea on turbo
    Plan on some ELH headers to get you that power too.
    VMR rims? This isn't a bimmer. But I'd love to see pics, I love VMR.
    Rear diffuser, check HT Autos.
    Any other cosmetic mod look at bayson r or smyperformance.

Welcome and have fun!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    My advice to you would be the drive the car for a little while after you buy it and decide what you don't like about it. Too often people start thinking about the mods before, which is good, but if you have never driven a WRX you are kinda jumping into the pool before it is filled up with water.

The suspension on your WRX will certainly be soft, but coilovers on a street car are sometimes not your best option. You can get a good set up with aftermarket springs/struts for much less that will perform very well. And a good set of sways/endlinks will help with your body roll (which is quite bad on the GR wrx).

Intakes on a GR wrx can be beneficial as low as stage 2, so that is not a horrible idea, but you will want to consider how you are going to be tuning the car. COBB OTS maps (canned tunes) are made for only certain intakes. Opensource opens your options, but that is just something I mention because it should be a consideration.

Exhausts are preference based. Go to car meets. Hear as many as you possibly can. Invidia, Perrin, Turboxs, Nameless, Cobb, etc are all popular brands that sound different. Catless dps will require a protune (or e-tune). They don't make Off the shelf maps for those. Again, just another thought.

You won't be able to just put a larger turbo on these cars to get more HP. You will need to upgrade many other supporting parts if you are looking to go that route (for example, larger injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, bpv, possibly forged internals depending on how much power you are looking, definitely many drivetrain upgrades, etc). Not cheap.

So many wheels out there. Again, that is all preference. Stock wheels are over 50 offset (I think 55 or 53? I can't remember), but most people go with a lower offset to get a more flush look. Lots of stuff here. Check out this thread for ideas...The OFFICIAL 2011/12 WRX wheel/tire thread

Here are some other good threads you should take a read through.

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Don't forget to wave to other subarus.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 04-21-2014 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    My advice to you would be the drive the car for a little while after you buy it and decide what you don't like about it. Too often people start thinking about the mods before, which is good, but if you have never driven a WRX you are kinda jumping into the pool before it is filled up with water.

The suspension on your WRX will certainly be soft, but coilovers on a street car are sometimes not your best option. You can get a good set up with aftermarket springs/struts for much less that will perform very well. And a good set of sways/endlinks will help with your body roll (which is quite bad on the GR wrx).

Intakes on a GR wrx can be beneficial as low as stage 2, so that is not a horrible idea, but you will want to consider how you are going to be tuning the car. COBB OTS maps (canned tunes) are made for only certain intakes. Opensource opens your options, but that is just something I mention because it should be a consideration.

Exhausts are preference based. Go to car meets. Hear as many as you possibly can. Invidia, Perrin, Turboxs, Nameless, Cobb, etc are all popular brands that sound different. Catless dps will require a protune (or e-tune). They don't make Off the shelf maps for those. Again, just another thought.

You won't be able to just put a larger turbo on these cars to get more HP. You will need to upgrade many other supporting parts if you are looking to go that route (for example, larger injectors, fuel pump, intercooler, bpv, possibly forged internals depending on how much power you are looking, definitely many drivetrain upgrades, etc). Not cheap.

So many wheels out there. Again, that is all preference. Stock wheels are over 50 offset (I think 55 or 53? I can't remember), but most people go with a lower offset to get a more flush look. Lots of stuff here. Check out this thread for ideas...The OFFICIAL 2011/12 WRX wheel/tire thread

Here are some other good threads you should take a read through.

Public Service Announcement. "I want 400whp!" Are you sure? - NASIOC
    First Modifications - what to do and not to do
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Don't forget to wave to other subarus.
    Thanks! this is good stuff. I know that upgrading the turbo would also require a few upgrades. I was going to do that in the future. but thanks for the tips. i'll drive it around before i plan to do my modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    With 400 hp, plan for a transmission build in your near future.
    Cobb SF intake retains stock location and ram air.
    Aem is a true CAI, but you may have trouble running a fmic with it.
    Invidia n1 is a popular catback, I like nameless series though.
    Invidia DP is a great one and comes with an extra bung for wideband.
    Whiteline sways are a great first mod, with new bushings.
    No idea on turbo
    Plan on some ELH headers to get you that power too.
    VMR rims? This isn't a bimmer. But I'd love to see pics, I love VMR.
    Rear diffuser, check HT Autos.
    Any other cosmetic mod look at bayson r or smyperformance.

Welcome and have fun!

I don't see too many subarus with vmr wheels. I'd have to get wheel adapters but I might just look for some other wheels. and some exhausts make it sound like a weed wacker. I wanna get that low pulsy growl from that flat 4.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySS View Post
    I don't see too many subarus with vmr wheels. I'd have to get wheel adapters but I might just look for some other wheels. and some exhausts make it sound like a weed wacker. I wanna get that low pulsy growl from that flat 4.
    Neither do I, I say go for it. VB3s would be sweet.
    Ahh, so you like the sound of inefficiency. That sound comes from the UEL headers, not the motor. Invidia n1 really accents the growl. But I think nameless sounds like a muscle car, where I'm from: ).
    If you want big power, you're going to need to sacrifice that sound and put on EL headers. It sounds more like a Porsche, then a civic. I agree, not a good sound though.
    I have a stealthback on my 2011. Perfect for me

ooh I like Porsches! And I wasn't going for big power right now that's more in the future like when i get out of college. Gonna stick with cosmetic stuff like wheels and lighting for now. But minor engine work is a must like making it sound good!

Yeah that's what I thought too. Im still in college, was going to add some Rota's and a lip with side skirts and an STI wing. But then I put a stage 1 tune on and got hooked. The new power is amazing, just went stage 2 last week, which is equally as amazing. Going to the drags in 2 weeks.
    End of summer I'll be stage 3, THEN I'll do cosmetics lol

Sweet! good luck on the drags. I can't wait to get working on this car. I'm thinking of getting a front and rear diffuser and keeping the trunk spoiler as is cuz i'm not a fan of the big spoilers myself.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you want 400whp, you should get rid of that low pulsy growl.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks! this is good stuff. I know that upgrading the turbo would also require a few upgrades. I was going to do that in the future. but thanks for the tips. i'll drive it around before i plan to do my modifications.
    Not just a few upgrades. You should consider upgrading the entire fuel system, the intercooler, TGV deletes, air pump delete, UP/DP, equal-length header (like Jimmy said, bye bye boxer rumble). All of these upgrades will be much more expensive than the turbo itself. Not to mention, braking and cornering should be addressed first. Keep in mind that the WRX corners very poorly out of the box. In fact, stock for stock, the car has too much power for its cornering capability. Hilarious that you mention the cheapest **** brand coilovers on the market. You need to pay to play. If you don't plan on dropping $2500 on proper coilovers, springs and struts are your better option.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well my gli is on race lands i think they're pretty good, but I'm looking into other brands too. Like I said these are just options and I know that upgrading to a new turbo will require more upgrades. Fuel system, intercooler, better pistons, manifolds. All that that will be sometime in the future.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Don't forget about the tranny! And some brembos.

Yeah planning on getting better calipers, Gotta check if my company supplies them for subis! and bolt patterns...is it different for the hatch and the sedans?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Racelands are bottom of the barrel crap... The keystone light of suspension. You'd have a much more capable vehicle with good springs and struts
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.