2015: WRX Limited or STI ? Why one over the other? What is the real difference?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2015: WRX Limited or STI ? Why one over the other? What is the real difference? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, I am a Subaru noobcake. I am long time VW fanboi who really, really wants the new WRX. ...

2015: WRX Limited or STI ? Why one over the other? What is the real difference?

First off, I am a Subaru noobcake. I am long time VW fanboi who really, really wants the new WRX.

Besides the obvious....why would one choose a WRX Limited over STI or an STI over WRX Limited?

I am so damn torn.

If what I am reading is correct, the WRX engine is brand new for 2015? While the STI engine is old.

STI has awesome fanboi badging, brembo brakes, better suspension? Exciting unique interior.

I just built a fully loaded WRX Limited with all the awesome options (full underbody spoiler, short shifter, sti exhaust etc) for around 36k.

If I build the same STI is around 42k.

A big question I have is can you get the STI 18" rims/wheels on the WRX Limited? Or only the STI?

Thanks in advance for guiding this noob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    15 WRX: terrific performance value (slightly more emphasis on value and broad appeal) with decent comfort. Great handling and new engine technology that the aftermarket is going to catch up with. Comfy enough to daily commute but great fun on a twisty road. Decent mpgs. Good low end and usable torque in stock form.

15 STi: terrific performance value (slightly more emphasis on performance not quite as much broad appeal) and little less ride comfort, especially for passengers. Probably the way to go if you with track. Incredible handling with a robust engine aftermarket already in place. It's more of a "hardcore" performance car in terms of peak power, how it will corner etc that some will love but not everyone. More peak power than WRX but in stock form not quite as much as WRX lower in the rpm range (where much of daily commuting happens).

Comparably equipped the the price difference in more like less than 5k. Some of what you get for the price difference though: better AWD, better steering, better wheels, better gearbox. It's not as if the WRX is a turd in all these categories at all but only you can answer if these differences are worth it to you.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

The STI is just a WRX on steroids. As mentioned above, it has better handling, better brakes, STI rims and larger tires, etc.

Just like TheJ said, it is a more raw car that is centered around performance. On the downside, it will be less forgiving on bad roads, will get worse MPG, and it still has the old engine vs the 2015 that has the new engine. Honestly you probably should drive them both before and decide.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    WRX: Motor
    STI: Everything else

STi base is actually quite comparable to the WRX limited, minus the sunroof.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I think they discusses this in Jalopnik, and I liked the conclusion they came to;

Road car that can do track days - WRX

Track car that is road legal - STi

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    A big question I have is can you get the STI 18" rims/wheels on the WRX Limited? Or only the STI?

Thanks in advance for guiding this noob.
    I wasn't able to do this through my dealer. I'm sure sti wheels will start popping up sooner or later. I saw a 2015 base sti set on ebay for $1300 that sold in a day.

There are so many damn options...I mean there are what 3 WRX and 3 STI (including launch edition)...I LOVE that Subaru has this much to choose from basically 1 car.

Coming from VW where there are zero options, this is great.

I just cant make up my damn mind. WRX Limited with almost every option for around 36k or a base STI with almost no options for around 36k.

CANNOT DECIDE !!!!!!

zax
    I toiled over this decision for weeks. In the end I went with the STi, and haven't looked back.

Facebook me here

Did the MPG difference affect your decision at all?

At the end of the day, I'd be happy in any WRX/STI in reality....1st world problems.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Bontchimuz View Post
    Did the MPG difference affect your decision at all?
    Yes.

But in the end, the STi is not much different from my current fuel costs. Keep in mind that the far superior drivetrain in the STi adversely affects fuel consumption. Economy or performance: Pick one.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    I do like some of the options on a limited, but at that point I'd also go with the STI. The base WRX is a great value at $25.6k, a fully optioned out WRX at $36k....not so much. At the end of the day they are the same car mechanically. Whereas the STI is better performing and the price increase is justified, in my opinion. Sure the limited package makes the WRX a better car, but at that price it loses half of the appeal to me.

Something else to think of is that there is a massive aftermarket scene for these cars. Many people have found that aftermarket options for many of the options available on a new car (short shifter, exhaust, etc) are both better performing and priced lower than Subaru's version of that part.

I Support ClubWRX
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    Something else to think of is that there is a massive aftermarket scene for these cars. Many people have found that aftermarket options for many of the options available on a new car (short shifter, exhaust, etc) are both better performing and priced lower than Subaru's version of that part.
    A massive aftermarket for the WRX or STI? Or both?

Thanks all for the great information. I cant believe it, but I am in love with WRX over the Golf R. I guess 10 years of VW will tire anyone out....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.