Looking at a 2012 sti or wrx......need help with the difference
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Looking at a 2012 sti or wrx......need help with the difference within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I currently have a 2011 EVO, love it, but now I am pondering the idea of going to either a ...

Looking at a 2012 sti or wrx......need help with the difference

I currently have a 2011 EVO, love it, but now I am pondering the idea of going to either a wrx or an sti.

Now, what makes the difference for horsepower? I know the sti makes 305hp and the wrx is 265. I have looked everywhere and cannot find an answer to why the sti makes 40 more hp??? Now, is it as simple as a factory flash? so changing the a/f maps and boost? is there a different intake? different exhaust? Are the turbos the same??? I understand the the handling and the transmission and brake differences, but I am struggling to justify the money for the power?

So main question....why does the sti make 40 more hp than the wrx??

Sorry for the noob question, but I cant find it anywhere

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do I dare help a noob out when he could just google it? Sure, why not...

Different pistons, different intercooler (and subsequently boost), tuning, suspension, transmission (push vs. pull), brakes, etc. The WRX can be faster off the line due to gearing, but it's subjective. Basically my deal was that if I bought a WRX I would mod it to the point of being greater than or equal to an STI. So the question is where do you want the base car to start so you can build from?

You're not paying extra for more HP. You're paying more for better suspension, better brakes, better transmission, DCCD, SI drive, better intercooler, HIDs standard, alcantara seats standard, 18x8.5 wheels standard.
    I think that covers most of the bases.

Edit: motor and turbo are different as well
    Last edited by RichD514; 04-18-2014 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk_rocker View Post
    Do I dare help a noob out when he could just google it? Sure, why not...

Pot calling the kettle black?

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    Pot calling the kettle black?

Just here to help.

ok, I know the suspension differences and visual and brakes. Just more curious as to why the STI makes 40 more hp than the WRX. I searched this forum and found nothing also about the topic. Just that the wrx is faster 0-60, faster 1/4, 100 lbs lighter than the STI. And a 5 post guy calling me a noob lol.

I didn't know it had different pistons. I figured a more aggressive tune, with more boost...didn't know IC was different too.

oh and BTW I googled difference between wrx and sti and couldn't find anything. NOTHING. So, figured Id come here. Oh and whats the difference in pistons? Unless they are a higher compression? shouldn't make a difference in HP. I can see the tune, boost and IC making that extra power. Are you 100% sure about the pistons? What is the stock boost levels of a wrx vs an STI?

And does the wrx and STI have ringland issues or just the sti??

Both have ringland issues, from what I see. Some years are prone to it do to factory issues.
    Same motor same turbo.
    The power difference between the wrx and STI is not much on the dyno. Look at some baseline pulls between the two. Siimply look at cobbs graphs.
    You're paying for driveline and brakes, as u know.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    Both have ringland issues, from what I see. Some years are prone to it do to factory issues.
    Same motor same turbo.
    The power difference between the wrx and STI is not much on the dyno. Look at some baseline pulls between the two. Siimply look at cobbs graphs.
    You're paying for driveline and brakes, as u know.

Thanks mate, so it doesn't have different pistons??? why would he speak false if he doesn't know? ugh. lol So its all with the ecu from the factory.....ok I get it. same exhaust, same intake, intercooler etc...just the flash right?

EJ255 vs. EJ257

They're different.

Quote Originally Posted by 11GSR View Post
    And a 5 post guy calling me a noob
    And let's judge the guy on the number of internet posts he's made. That will tell us everything we need to know...

Quote Originally Posted by pkunk_rocker View Post
    And let's judge the guy on the number of internet posts he's made. That will tell us everything we need to know...
    umm, I have a evo x, not a wrx. You have wrx and have 8 post.....don't troll. You have a wrx and said they have different pistons? Either you're an idiot or just plain ignorant
    Last edited by 11GSR; 04-18-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 11GSR View Post
    Either youre an idiot or just plain ignorant
    ahem. lets keep this on topic folks & avoid the name calling. please see the clubwrx rules if you have any questions ---> ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums FAQ

thanks!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Sorry about that. So, I was reading about many different ej255's and ej257's. but that was from 05-07.

Is there a different internals and turbo? on a different forum they said the sti has upgraded IC and turbo and internals?

I'm talking 2011+cars. I no nothing about anything prior.
    STI has a larger intercooler and not sure about pistons, but this is the first I've heard about it.
    Both have a vf52 turbo.

ya, all I could find is the differences from the "older" models.

So the known differences/similarities are....(if any of the gurus who know about this car can help out. still no clear answers on internals, exhaust, intake....) thanks!!

1. STI has a larger IC
    2.Both have the same vf52 turbo
    3.STI has upgraded brakes/suspension/wing...yadayadayada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast