2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone I was wondering if I could get some help choosing between the two. I will be trading down ...

2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI

Hello everyone I was wondering if I could get some help choosing between the two. I will be trading down from a 2012 Jeep Grand cherokee SRT8 in the next month or two. I love the jeep but I'm getting tired of constantly taking it back to the dealership to get things fixed, and worrying if the engine will die on me while driving. It has already done this twice and I did not even have 10,000 miles on it . As for the Subaru fans here which would be a better choice between the WRX and the STI? I've read that the STI is better if I where planning on going to the track, however I doubt than would ever happen. Now I dont know if I should totally dismiss the STI for that reason. ....and as far as research goes that's all I've really come across as far as comparisons. Help would be appreciated and thanks in advanced

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Certainly sounds like a typical mexican 392. Love the SRT line, I'd trade it in for a 392 charger, or better yet, a 2015 hellcat charger in a few months. That'll tear up an STI from the track to the drag.
    Sorry to hear about the jeep, but if I had the income to afford a 60k jeep, I'd definitely go for a limited STI. Proven motor and a track beast. However, the FA20 offers better daily driving feel stock in the WRX, and may be a better platform in the hands of a tuner.
    Welcome and good luck!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I am trying to figure out the same thing also......

Lol it feels like a waste of 60k to be honest. Especially after I took it in for my second oil change and found out I needed new tires which where over 2k a set. Ppsshh like I'd pay that much for tires. Chargers are great but I think I want to stay away from Chrysler all together for a few years now. Is there much of a difference when it comes to back seat space?

Between the wrx and sti? No.
    I think there's 2 more inches of legroom than the last gen.
    Have you looked at a Cadillac cts- v? Bigger, manual or auto, supercharged v8, fun DD since you're not tracking it.
    You may miss the immediate power delivery of a big cube v8 when getting into one of these. I had to get used to it, coming from a GTO.
    Why did you need new tires after a few thousand miles? ! Must've been a rough break in.

The stock tires where Pirelli P Zero run flats with estimated 15,000 mile usage. And I'm looking for something cheaper, and something I'd feel less guilty for changing from stock. I don't think there's any greater feeling then building up a car from something basic.

I agree. Just went stage 2 on my 2011 wrx and couldn't be happier.
    Good luck! I say get an STI. Proven platform and responds well to mods.

Get the STi. It's proven, and possibly one of the best years yet.

Someone mentioned the Cadillac CTS-V, but I know of a lot of current WRX owners who came from the CTS-V. Sure it looks great on paper and it will best the WRX, but like a Cadillac, it's numb. Most people feel they aren't nearly as fun to drive.

Get the 2015 WRX STi I just got one....04/04/2014

Sounds like you want reliability and some decent power. I would suggest the 2015 sti or the 2014 wrx. They both have basically the same engine and are pretty much bullet proof long as you don't mod it too heavily. The new FA engine is nice with the DI in the 2015 wrx but it put downs less power then the 2014 model and it hasn't been around as long as the EJ engines.

I would say sit in and see if your ok with the interior. They improved the interior in the 2015 model but its still sub par for a 35k car. In the 26k range, i would say its more competitive if you get the wrx model.

I Support ClubWRX
    I posted this 30 minute After Drive show on this question. It's good food for thought.
    After drive video on the 2015 STi

Spoiler alert:

All three reviewers said that THEY would choose the STi but all three said the wrx probably better for a broader cross section of people and it is the better overall value for most people.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    This is an extremely tough decision, and one that I've belabored over for the past 3 months.

Keep in mind the STi base has many of the features in the WRX Limited, minus the moonroof, so the price difference is only about $4k.

IMO, the WRX has the motor, the STi has the drivetrain.

I've personally decided to go with the STi base.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    All three reviewers said that THEY would choose the STi but all three said the wrx probably better for a broader cross section of people and it is the better overall value for most people.
    After owning a '13 WRX and now a '14 STI, I can attest to that. The WRX has plenty overall to offer a driver. I'd only get the STI if you want a better platform to build on, as I did.
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This is an extremely tough decision, and one that I've belabored over for the past 3 months.

Keep in mind the STi base has many of the features in the WRX Limited, minus the moonroof, so the price difference is only about $4k.

IMO, the WRX has the motor, the STi has the drivetrain.

I've personally decided to go with the STi base.
    Precisely.
    It's not as if the STi isn't actually worth the premium in price when you really look at what it comes with... Plus the better AWD, steering, wheels and gear box. I mean once you get over the fact that the power output is basically still where it was 10 years ago, you still have to recognize that the power is still pretty great, the engine is far from being a turd and a nice bump in power is not tough to achieve..

Now.. it still may not be the right choice for plenty of people because only each individual can really know what is worth it for them. Even if money is no object, not everyone wants a car ride so stiff or gears so short. For most folks though, money is of course part of the equation and that's where it gets very unique for each individual.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Registered User thesolodriver84's Avatar
    I know this might be considered blasphemy, but I just don’t like the “new” STI. It’s the same 2.5 we have been playing around with for years. The new 2.0, after looking at it on the dyno, looks like such a little gem of an engine to play with. Also after watching car and driver more or less rape their test WRX for hours my fears of the new 6 speed manual has been laid to rest after that abuse. That and later this year once the car becomes more available I’m sure I’ll be able to get a base WRX for only 25,500 or so with USAA car buying service. I mean it’s such a value and looks to be more fun to mod my own then buy an STI with an out dated engine. Sure the STI comes with more bells and whistles for the track, but all that money I save I can mod my own. Will I spend more in the end? Probably, but to me it doesn’t matter. If Subaru would make an STI with this new engine then I might sing a different tune, but for right now I just see no reason to spend the extra cash on an older engine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast