2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by TheJ The STi may not be a great DD for those who don't like such a stiff ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    The STi may not be a great DD for those who don't like such a stiff ride but thats and individual choice. Believe it or not, most people who choose the STi, use it as a daily driver and are perfectly fine with it in that role. It really depends on what your daily trips look like and what you value most.
    Totally agree. Everyone's situation and driving style is different.

I drive 20-30k/year and plenty of driving on ****ty nyc roads. I did that in a heavily modded s2k, which sucked. I couldn't DD the STi. Need something slightly more comfy.
    Last edited by shasan546; 04-16-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shasan546 View Post
    I've seen multiple posts on iwsti and nasioc about stock cars having Ringland failures...

It's easy to blame "abuse" (like Subaru does) but it seems to be way too common for me. I want a car that I can enjoy driving while not having to baby it bc I'm worried about it blowing up.

Regardless, to each their own. The New STi looks sick in person!
    Just to add a little more perspective to ringland fears... The USDM STi has been around for 10+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabedude View Post
    These are all known issues with proven reasons why:

07 ringland failures: An early batch (including my 07 and all of the 07 limited STIs) received non turbo fuel pumps. Ouch.
    08 ringland failures: A mapping error (seen in tuning tables) eliminated the fuel cut boost resume that previous STIs had set at 9 PSI and the ECU mapping did not have any timing retard like the 16 bit ECUs. Subaru issued a mapping update.
    09 spun bearings: Bad batch of bearing material mainly in the WRX EJ255.
    12 and 13 evap issue: Hoses pop off the EVAP solenoids. Zip tie them. Mine are zip tied and codes disabled.

All other failures are due to bad tunes / too much TQ for the stock pistons to handle. These are very few issues compared to many other "quality" manufacturers like Honda. The 2000-2002 1/2 S2000 had serious oiling issues where not enough oil got to the heads causing burnt and bent valves.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

Quote Originally Posted by shasan546 View Post
    I've seen multiple posts on iwsti and nasioc about stock cars having Ringland failures...

It's easy to blame "abuse" (like Subaru does) but it seems to be way too common for me. I want a car that I can enjoy driving while not having to baby it bc I'm worried about it blowing up.
    And every other post in the newbie section on Nazioc is something about launching or beating the piss out of the car, then complaining when it blows up.
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    And every other post in the newbie section on Nazioc is something about launching or beating the piss out of the car, then complaining when it blows up.
    I would agree as an admittedly hasty generalization, most issues you see likely arise from driver abuse.
    ...But there have certainly been some real issues that are documented as well. The rub comes in when folks don't understand the perspective to put it in.. And in the echo chamber of the interwebz forums, perceptions are often shaped for us by less than complete information.

Personally, I no more fear ringland issues on the new STi I ordered then I would fear some similar issue on a WRX if I ordered one instead. As with anything produced (especially mass produced) there is always a risk. It's truly not as if Subaru's track record for reliability is particularly bad.
    -The J

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    TBH, the EJ257 is more prone to piston and ringland failure than other designs, including the EJ205/207. This really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the pistons, which are actually quite good. The same hypercast pistons in the EJ257, shrunk in size, and placed in the JDM v8 EJ207 hold up fine under boost, so this is not the issue.

In reality, it's the extremely large bore that causes the pistons to fail. Large bore means a larger piston with larger cross-sectional area per swept volume. Flame-front propagation upon ignition is more violent and unpredictable under pressure, and that unpredictability is amplified by the large piston bore. While large bore and short stroke is ideal for high-revving applications, for forced-induction a square motor is ideal and has the added benefit of a longer moment arm to the crank. I recognize that Subaru was forced to adopt a short stroke and long bore for packaging reasons, but it just really isn't ideal for forced-induction. This is why I feel that the FA20 is much more suited to forced-induction: the square bore:stroke design is more modern and will all-but-eliminate piston-related failures. Furthermore, the Direct Injection technologies aim to improve the detonation resistance, but is really offset by the bump in compression ratio. IMO, the EJ257 is "good enough" at stock power levels, though extraneous failures have been recorded. The FA20 will be able to produce much more power from the stock bottom end, provided the bearings (which have demonstrated to be smaller) are up to the task.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    TBH, the EJ257 is more prone to piston and ringland failure than other designs, including the EJ205/207. This really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the pistons, which are actually quite good. The same hypercast pistons in the EJ257, shrunk in size, and placed in the JDM v8 EJ207 hold up fine under boost, so this is not the issue.

In reality, it's the extremely large bore that causes the pistons to fail. Large bore means a larger piston with larger cross-sectional area per swept volume. Flame-front propagation upon ignition is more violent and unpredictable under pressure, and that unpredictability is amplified by the large piston bore. While large bore and short stroke is ideal for high-revving applications, for forced-induction a square motor is ideal and has the added benefit of a longer moment arm to the crank. I recognize that Subaru was forced to adopt a short stroke and long bore for packaging reasons, but it just really isn't ideal for forced-induction. This is why I feel that the FA20 is much more suited to forced-induction: the square bore:stroke design is more modern and will all-but-eliminate piston-related failures. Furthermore, the Direct Injection technologies aim to improve the detonation resistance, but is really offset by the bump in compression ratio. IMO, the EJ257 is "good enough" at stock power levels, though extraneous failures have been recorded. The FA20 will be able to produce much more power from the stock bottom end, provided the bearings (which have demonstrated to be smaller) are up to the task.
    I spent more time wanting to play with the legos in you avatar rather than trying to comprehend what you just wrote.....trololol

I Support ClubWRX

You engineers always gotta be all smart and stuff with your "knowledge" and "facts" and crap like that. What's up with that?
    -The J

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    You engineers always gotta be all smart and stuff with your "knowledge" and "facts" and crap like that. What's up with that?
    Did I get too nerdy for you Jay?

I see most of the posts on the STi launch were complaining about the lack of power bump. IMO, Subaru ought to focus on efficiency over power on the next STi motor. Here's to hoping the FA20 is adopted

Though admittedly the stout and complicated AWDtrain is partly responsible.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Did I get too nerdy for you Jay?

I see most of the posts on the STi launch were complaining about the lack of power bump. IMO, Subaru ought to focus on efficiency over power on the next STi motor. Here's to hoping the FA20 is adopted

Though admittedly the stout and complicated AWDtrain is partly responsible.
    No not at all. I'm a total nerd at heart. Just having fun cause I'm sure your post lost some folks.

I am totally with you on wanting to see the STi engine advance to be better and would be happy with an FA20 as well. I am hopeful that in a couple of years they do something along those lines and I will likely be in line to trade up when they do.
    -The J

Quote Originally Posted by thesolodriver84 View Post
    I know this might be considered blasphemy, but I just don’t like the “new” STI. It’s the same 2.5 we have been playing around with for years. The new 2.0, after looking at it on the dyno, looks like such a little gem of an engine to play with. Also after watching car and driver more or less rape their test WRX for hours my fears of the new 6 speed manual has been laid to rest after that abuse. That and later this year once the car becomes more available I’m sure I’ll be able to get a base WRX for only 25,500 or so with USAA car buying service. I mean it’s such a value and looks to be more fun to mod my own then buy an STI with an out dated engine. Sure the STI comes with more bells and whistles for the track, but all that money I save I can mod my own. Will I spend more in the end? Probably, but to me it doesn’t matter. If Subaru would make an STI with this new engine then I might sing a different tune, but for right now I just see no reason to spend the extra cash on an older engine.
    You can get a base '15 wrx for around $23,5 and an STi for around $32,5
    Then decade old engine is tried-and-true.

depending on your personal needs/wants will determine which model you should buy.

I debated over splurging for the STi for the longest. I even ordered the WRX. Last week I hypothetically enquired about the STi and changed my mind upon dealer response. Got the STi the next day.
    I'm so happy I went w/ the STi because I would always of regreted not getting what I really wanted. That makes it worth it!
    I DD the STi and it is perfect in all aspects, my picky also wife approves.

PM me or reply here if you have any questions and I'll be glad to assist.
    get you one

Quote Originally Posted by thesolodriver84 View Post
    I know this might be considered blasphemy, but I just dont like the new STI. Its the same 2.5 we have been playing around with for years. The new 2.0, after looking at it on the dyno, looks like such a little gem of an engine to play with. Also after watching car and driver more or less rape their test WRX for hours my fears of the new 6 speed manual has been laid to rest after that abuse. That and later this year once the car becomes more available Im sure Ill be able to get a base WRX for only 25,500 or so with USAA car buying service. I mean its such a value and looks to be more fun to mod my own then buy an STI with an out dated engine. Sure the STI comes with more bells and whistles for the track, but all that money I save I can mod my own. Will I spend more in the end? Probably, but to me it doesnt matter. If Subaru would make an STI with this new engine then I might sing a different tune, but for right now I just see no reason to spend the extra cash on an older engine.

depending on your personal needs/wants will determine which model you should buy.

I debated over splurging for the STi for the longest. I even ordered the WRX. Last week I hypothetically enquired about the STi and changed my mind upon dealer response. Got the STi the next day.
    I'm so happy I went w/ the STi because I would always of regreted not getting what I really wanted. That makes it worth it!

get you one

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post

Welcome to club! You should post an intro thread in the NMH and post up some pics of your new STi
    -The J

A lot of people have mentioned that the STI has a stiffer suspension, has anyone tried changing out the tires to help soften the ride a little? I know on my SRT it originally came with run flats which where rough and after changing them it improved the ride tremendously. Also for the STI owners, does the wind noise bother you?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dragon View Post
    Where?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast