2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STI within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The 2.0 WRX is a test mule, I am sure Subaru is developing a more potent FA20 motor for the ...

The 2.0 WRX is a test mule, I am sure Subaru is developing a more potent FA20 motor for the STI variant.
    They re-used the 2.5l motor because it is tried and true in a track car, instead of blowing their best car with a new failure of an engine.

All hypothetical, but I, too, hope that they update the STI motor in the near future. If Mercedes can make a 2.0 turbo with 355 hp, then Subaru, who has been building 4 banger turbos for years, can certainly muster at least 325 hp out of a new FA20 motor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thesolodriver84 View Post
    I know this might be considered blasphemy, but I just dont like the new STI. Its the same 2.5 we have been playing around with for years. The new 2.0, after looking at it on the dyno, looks like such a little gem of an engine to play with. Also after watching car and driver more or less rape their test WRX for hours my fears of the new 6 speed manual has been laid to rest after that abuse. That and later this year once the car becomes more available Im sure Ill be able to get a base WRX for only 25,500 or so with USAA car buying service. I mean its such a value and looks to be more fun to mod my own then buy an STI with an out dated engine. Sure the STI comes with more bells and whistles for the track, but all that money I save I can mod my own. Will I spend more in the end? Probably, but to me it doesnt matter. If Subaru would make an STI with this new engine then I might sing a different tune, but for right now I just see no reason to spend the extra cash on an older engine.
    I completely agree, honestly. Look back on my older posts. And for some reason I ended up again with an EJ motor. I hope the FA20 STi does happen. I personally think the FA20 is a more capable motor, but the drive train in the STi is just so much better... And that isn't something you can easily mod into the WRX (perhaps not even at all). Will you be able to tell during DD? Probably not. But I just want those toys :-/
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I would just take a wait and see approach. I think the new location for the turbo on the FA motor would make it difficult to swap out it for a aftermarket turbo in comparison to the EJ. I'm just wondering how well the FA head flows in comparison to the EJ.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I posted this 30 minute After Drive show on this question. It's good food for thought.
    After drive video on the 2015 STi
    Great link Jay, thanks!
    Wow, I need to get in here more often...Zach went back to the EJ..didn't see that one coming.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Great link Jay, thanks!
    Zach went back to the EJ..didn't see that one coming.
    Lol. You & everybody else.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Lol. You & everybody else.
    Including me.

Facebook me here

Lol idk how everyone can say oh pick the STi b.c it is proven... Proven how? the EJ motor sucks. it hasn't been proven reliable at all. Maybe coming from the s2k scene has me jaded towards what i think reliability means, but the STi is not a reliable platform.

Anyways OP drive both if you can. IMO for a DD pick the WRX. The STi (regardless of motor or drivetrain) is just too stiff for a DD imo. I already racked up 1500 miles in 10 days driving my WRX through NYC hell. I wouldn't be able to in the STi.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by shasan546 View Post
    Lol idk how everyone can say oh pick the STi b.c it is proven... Proven how? the EJ motor sucks. it hasn't been proven reliable at all.
    You're confusing "reliability" with "power ceiling."

Agreed that the EJ series does not have an exceptionally high power ceiling. Anything north of 350whp and there is a significant chance of failure. However, this is not the same thing as reliability. In general, the EJ motor is exceptionally reliable. Many motors are hitting well over 250k miles on the stock motor.

I have high hopes for the power ceiling on the FA20, and I honestly hope that the FA20 has the reliability of the EJ motor.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You're confusing "reliability" with "power ceiling."

Agreed that the EJ series does not have an exceptionally high power ceiling. Anything north of 350whp and there is a significant chance of failure. However, this is not the same thing as reliability. In general, the EJ motor is exceptionally reliable. Many motors are hitting well over 250k miles on the stock motor.

I have high hopes for the power ceiling on the FA20, and I honestly hope that the FA20 has the reliability of the EJ motor.
    I'm talking about stock cars... I do 20k/year. I've heard if engine issues within the first 100k on the ej. Ringland; etc.

Plenty of people say it's the stock tune, but both tuned and stock cars have had the same issues. That's not reliable to me.
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

zax
    I'm talking about stock cars... I do 20k/year. I've heard if engine issues within the first 100k on the ej. Ringland; etc.

Plenty of people say it's the stock tune, but both tuned and stock cars have had the same issues. That's not reliable to me.
    One robin does not make a spring, bud.

Facebook me here

The person behind the wheel has something to do with it too. If I drive my car conservatively it's going to last a lot longer than if I beat on it.
    '14 SWP STI

get the Wrx! It's got the twin scroll turbo and boost higher than the sti! STI is not the best daily driver and you'll save $8,000 which you could use to customize the wrx just like you want it. It also has a timing chain which will never have to be serviced! Another awesome spec about the wrx is the torque power band. The peak torque is from 2000-5200 rpm! So you get a huge boost at low end torque and really take you back on your seat. I just bought a WR blue pearl WRX and I love it! couldn't be happier

i haven't seen any sti threads about ringland failure on a completely stock sti. All the ringland failures i read either has at least a stage 1 tune or dp, or intake or both. Thats the risk you play when you mod your car. You can't put the engine at fault when people try to add more power then it was originally designed for.

I Support ClubWRX
    The WRX is a terrific value. It's fantastic and the new FA engine is by all indications a great engine with loads of potential. However, I can't help but chuckle at some claiming that the EJ sucks as if its a giant turd. lol

The STi may not be a great DD for those who don't like such a stiff ride but thats and individual choice. Believe it or not, most people who choose the STi, use it as a daily driver and are perfectly fine with it in that role. It really depends on what your daily trips look like and what you value most. The price difference when "comparably equipped" is less than 5k not 8k. And practically speaking, you could not upgrade the things that are different about the STi (better awd, steering, wheels, gearbox, etc.) without spending far more than the price difference. So it's certainly not as if the price difference is not more than justified or the value isn't there in an STi. The truth is that the STi is a great value. Just in a slightly different way that the WRX.

There are perfectly well founded, straight forward logical reasons for one to choose the WRX over the STi (and vice-versa). But IMHO the posts here that merely seem to parrot stuff like they have heard about issues some motors had in select past years or stating unqualified $8k price differences are honestly not really helping much in the OP's quest to make a more informed decision.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"It's like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
    i haven't seen any sti threads about ringland failure on a completely stock sti. All the ringland failures i read either has at least a stage 1 tune or dp, or intake or both. Thats the risk you play when you mod your car. You can't put the engine at fault when people try to add more power then it was originally designed for.
    I've seen multiple posts on iwsti and nasioc about stock cars having Ringland failures...

It's easy to blame "abuse" (like Subaru does) but it seems to be way too common for me. I want a car that I can enjoy driving while not having to baby it bc I'm worried about it blowing up.

Regardless, to each their own. The New STi looks sick in person!
    '15 WRX- DD
    '13 Pilot- Work
    '11 1M- For sale
    '09 Exige s240- Blade 300 kit
    07- S2k- For Sale

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast