Newb in Illinois

This is a discussion on Newb in Illinois within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have a 2010 WRX hatch with a Cobb dp and an ap, version 2, which I got over a ...

Newb in Illinois

I have a 2010 WRX hatch with a Cobb dp and an ap, version 2, which I got over a year ago, running Cobb's preset Stage 2 map. So, technically I'm the bare bones of stage 2 from what I understand.
    I was rear-ended last week and am getting a new rear bumper (paid for by the other guys insurance company), and the guy at the body shop happened to mention that he could cut out the hole in the bumper to fit a quad exhaust if I wanted to get one and make it look nice, after I mentioned in passing how bad ass I thought they looked. (08-10 only fit a single exhaust) This, in turn, opened up a whole can of worms as to how far do I go with the mods...cai, protune, tbe, etc etc etc....
    After a week of researching and talking to P&L in Illinois, I was set on getting an intake, cobb tbe, and protune. But then the research I've been doing is also telling me that the cai and tbe is mostly just adding some noise and the subaru rumble people enjoy, and not much is power gains, which is leaving me confused. Which is it?? For a daily driver who will not be racing or anything fancy...just want a really fun car to drive that isn't too loud...is all this overkill? P&L was super nice and wasn't coercing me to buy more than I needed. I was kind of convincing myself so I could have an awesome car.
    I guess my question is, the dp and ap was a nice addition, but not what I expected it to be. I didn't have that "feels like a whole new car" experience people mention, and didn't know if that was due to Cobb's off the shelf map. Can I just get a protune and will that achieve the results I'm looking for, and leave it at that? Is the tbe and cai really necessary?? I hate to be the guy asking the same question for the 1,000th time, but so much of my research has seen people give conflicting stories and I don't know what to think.
    Thanks, and sorry in advance. I was afraid to ask this on nasioc

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
    I have a 2010 WRX hatch with a Cobb dp and an ap, version 2, which I got over a year ago, running Cobb's preset Stage 2 map. So, technically I'm the bare bones of stage 2 from what I understand.
    I was rear-ended last week and am getting a new rear bumper (paid for by the other guys insurance company), and the guy at the body shop happened to mention that he could cut out the hole in the bumper to fit a quad exhaust if I wanted to get one and make it look nice, after I mentioned in passing how bad ass I thought they looked. (08-10 only fit a single exhaust) This, in turn, opened up a whole can of worms as to how far do I go with the mods...cai, protune, tbe, etc etc etc....
    After a week of researching and talking to P&L in Illinois, I was set on getting an intake, cobb tbe, and protune. But then the research I've been doing is also telling me that the cai and tbe is mostly just adding some noise and the subaru rumble people enjoy, and not much is power gains, which is leaving me confused. Which is it?? For a daily driver who will not be racing or anything fancy...just want a really fun car to drive that isn't too loud...is all this overkill? P&L was super nice and wasn't coercing me to buy more than I needed. I was kind of convincing myself so I could have an awesome car.
    I guess my question is, the dp and ap was a nice addition, but not what I expected it to be. I didn't have that "feels like a whole new car" experience people mention, and didn't know if that was due to Cobb's off the shelf map. Can I just get a protune and will that achieve the results I'm looking for, and leave it at that? Is the tbe and cai really necessary?? I hate to be the guy asking the same question for the 1,000th time, but so much of my research has seen people give conflicting stories and I don't know what to think.
    Thanks, and sorry in advance. I was afraid to ask this on nasioc
    Hello and welcome!
    The catback is just for sound I thought, but then my etuner and my future protune shop both said that if I want to maximize power, I'll need a catback.
    It is arguable that an intake actually does add a little more power up top at stage 2 power levels.
    If you add these two, your car will be louder. And a louder car does feel like a faster car to your butt dyno.
    I just went stage 2 on my 2011 and its a world of difference! I have a TP tune though.
    Maybe add sway bars? Or if stage 2 isn't fast enough, add a new TMIC and EBCS. That's my next stage. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk