turbo maintenance?

This is a discussion on turbo maintenance? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello. Just had a laugh after seeing what my Sub dealer wants for a 60K service for turbocharged cars - ...

turbo maintenance?

Hello. Just had a laugh after seeing what my Sub dealer wants for a 60K service for turbocharged cars - about $700. My 2004 WRX is coming up on 60K miles, and I'm wondering what, if any, turbo maintenance is required for our cars? $700 sounds like a lot more than oil change and fluid/filter checks.

Thanks for any info.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is a waste of money. Look up online for a list of all the service and do it yourself.

Its a lot of inspection stuff...and includes tranny fluid changes, diff fluid changes, spark plug changes, etc. Some of that is time consuming, which the price reflects in labor, but certainly isn't worth spending $700 for. They also like to charge a ton for installing a cabin air filter which you can do yourself behind the glove box for $15 from Amazon.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

60k service would be:
    Change oil+ filter
    Replace coolant
    Replace air filter
    Replace fuel filter
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace brake fluid
    Rotate tires
    And a bunch of inspections

I had the same thing for my.60k service. Dealer and independent shops wanted 600-700 for the checkup, and half the shops didn't even have a 2011 wrx in their systems. So I read up for a few days on parts and DIYs and I just did it. Went stage 2, changed belts, diff fluid, trans fluid, oil change, one step colder plugs, brake fluid, turbo blanket all for under 500$ and most of that was the downpipe. it was fun too!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

thanks for the info, guys. I think I will skip the dealer.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your 2004 WRX is overdue for a timing belt change. Although the max miles limit is 105K miles, the maximum time limit for a timing belt is 105 months. This is roughly 8 3/4 years. I don't know how susceptible the belts are to failure simply by age, since I drive my car more and had to change my belt due to miles, not time. However to be thorough, and since timing belt failure is a show stopper, I thought I'd mention it to you. You can DIY that too (I did, though not without massive help from the forum) but it's a full weekend job. Just FYI.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks, SD_GR. I had the timing belt changed at about 45K miles due to a bad bearing in the belt vicinity. The dealer told me about it, and when I could hear the noise from the bearing myself, I decided not to risk having the belt break prematurely.
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

i need to learn how to change the spark plugs and timing belt. I have a 2013 with about 19k miles. i know it's still too early but when that time comes i wouldnt want to go to the dealer.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82