AWD opinions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AWD opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Recently bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo. I have heard a wide variety of opinions on AWD, anywhere fro love ...

AWD opinions

Recently bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo. I have heard a wide variety of opinions on AWD, anywhere fro love it to hate it. I'm looking for opinions with reasoning behind it. If you love AWD, why? If you hate it, why? Also what do I need to know about the handling, upgrading, tuning, whp of AWD compared to front or rear wheel drive, etc.? Anything I should know or any opinions will be appreciated. Keep in mind this is not only my first WRX, but also my first AWD, first turbo, and first car I have ever done any form of upgrading, tuning, etc. I basically came into this car mostly clueless so any positive helpful feedback will be extremely helpful! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I love the AWD but up in my area its useful with the change in seasons. It sucks with gas compared to FWD but I would rather have the benefits of AWD. If I lived in a warmer state I could see that AWD for a daily driver might not bee as practical.

Has anything been done to the car by previous owners?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Don't take this the wrong way but, why did you buy the car without doing any research? Circumstances might have thrown you into it but, just seems silly to buy the car and then ask these questions.

Now onto your questions.
    1. I doubt there will be many people on this forum say they hate AWD. If they did they wouldn't be on this forum.

2. You can't really "upgrade" the AWD portion of your vehicle. You can upgrade the things around it though. Stuff like suspension and braking will be they best way to improve the handling of your car. In terms of WHP, AWD cars do suffer from more drivetrain loss then FWD or RWD cars. Some will see this as a fault but, in reality it isn't. AWD makes up for it with stability and control.

As with anyone new to the WRX world it would be best to read everything you can before making any changes.
    Start with the stickies here:
    Engine Modifications
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

There's an AWD portion of the forum for this too.
    I love awd, even in florida where I can only really use it in the rain. The stability and how safe I feel going fast are what does it for me.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    Recently bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo. I have heard a wide variety of opinions on AWD, anywhere fro love it to hate it. I'm looking for opinions with reasoning behind it. If you love AWD, why? If you hate it, why? Also what do I need to know about the handling, upgrading, tuning, whp of AWD compared to front or rear wheel drive, etc.? Anything I should know or any opinions will be appreciated. Keep in mind this is not only my first WRX, but also my first AWD, first turbo, and first car I have ever done any form of upgrading, tuning, etc. I basically came into this car mostly clueless so any positive helpful feedback will be extremely helpful! Thanks
    I love AWD because I live in an area that gets a lot of snow and ice. The traction of AWD + snow tires is hard to beat.

There are, however, a few things you need to keep in mind when driving your car.
    1) Never launch it - you will eventually damage your transmission of ruin your clutch. As opposed to FWD/RWD, your car has enough traction to prevent the tires from slipping.
    2) Your car is nose-heavy and will understeer like a pig - which is rectifiable with a few handling upgrades
    3) Do your research before attempting any upgrades. You can't just throw parts on your car and expect it to be happy.
    4) Read the stickies and use the search function on this forum to avoid getting flamed.

Lot's of great info here!
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

Keep in mind that AWD only does anything when you have your foot on the gas. That is the only time you will have better traction than most other cars. AWD does nothing to stop you or nothing to do with turning the car (unless you have the accelerator engaged).

Most noobs think that AWD is a license to hoon around because they think it makes them invincible, but never take into the account the above, which can lead to certain disaster.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I hate AWD. It's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I hate AWD. It's stupid.
    In Florida it is...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I hate AWD. It's stupid.
    Agreed. It didn't help at all with that puddle. :P

AWD is designed to help the driver maintain traction in inclement weather. It won't help you turn harder, brake faster, or get you over the Rubicon trail. All else being equal, an AWD car will get worse gas mileage than a 2wd one. Mass-market AWD cars typically understeer worse than FWD, which itself understeers worse than RWD.

It is most useful in low-traction environments, like snow or rain, both of which I experience often enough for AWD to be worthwhile to me. If it didn't rain 8 days a week here, I'd probably have a RWD car. With proper snow tires and level-headed driving, Subarus excel in snow, better than any other vehicle I've driven in their class.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I think AWD is not what everyone thinks it to be. It's more of a pain in my opinion. Except for those three or four days out of the year we get snow and when I go to rallycross or a camping trip. Depends on where you live.

Port Orange

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    There's an AWD portion of the forum for this too.
    I love awd, even in florida where I can only really use it in the rain. The stability and how safe I feel going fast are what does it for me.

Any good Subaru shops near Port Orange. I am in New Smyrna Beach..

Quote Originally Posted by Geo_NJ View Post
    Any good Subaru shops near Port Orange. I am in New Smyrna Beach..
    I have not found any yet. That's why I resorted to doing my 60k mile service myself.
    I know the GM of daytona subaru, but that's about it.
    If you find any, let me know! Good to finally see someone near me with a rex!

I am only down in Florida on and off. The WRX is in Florida. I had some mechanical work done on my daughters Acura RSX by a mechanic in Daytona Beach near the airport. He was very reasonable. I need front rotors and might ask him to do it.
    I will be in NSB next Friday.
    George

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    From a performance standpoint, RWD > AWD IMO.

Torque vectoring improves the performance of AWD, but only to an extent as a band-aid.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

After owning 3 cars, 1 honda and 2 subarus, and I was involved in an accident on my subaru because a guy in a Murano though his AWD was invincible in the rain and he spun out hit me and i hit the pole. At the beginning I didn't care what car to get but after test driving Acuras, Hondas, chryslers, it just didn't feel right when i take turns. My WRX and any other subaru FEELS GREAT WHEN TAKING TURNS, love the AWD and the boxer engine it really makes the car stick to the road, a feeling that you won't get with any other cars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.