Tuning and Octane questions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tuning and Octane questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo, my first turbo vehicle and wrx I have ever owned. I have been ...

Tuning and Octane questions

Just bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo, my first turbo vehicle and wrx I have ever owned. I have been asking around about possible first mods, and everyone is talking about 93octane and E85. The gas station I currently fill up at only goes up to 91octane. Is this going to be a problem with upgrades, and what are the differences between 91, 93, and E85? Do I NEED to run a certain one of these for my upgrades to be safe and efficient? Lastly, does anyone know of any good tuners in the Dubuque Ia. or Davenport Ia. area? Any positive feedback would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Also will someone please explain the differences between catted and catless in exhaust, up pipes, down pipes, etc. Should exhaust and down pipe upgrades paired with a custom tune give me a DECENT, NOTICABLE gain in hp/whp and boost?

What's Up Man... Welcome to the site. Anyways I don't think you'll have much of an issue with the 91-93 octane. As long as you fill up with High test fuel is all that should matter. Just try to find a station that provides the 93. As per the E85. That is a popular tune that people use for calibrating the turbo and air fuel ratios. As per upgrading.... Anything dealing with motor as far as downpipes or cold air intake you'll need a tune otherwise your car will run choppy and discharge a lot of the power. Once you have a tune with your upgraded parts you will have a noticeable gain in performance. Although I am new to this site I have had Turbo cars in the past. Your best bet is to pop-in the forums with inquires and you'll get useful information. Other than that do your research and see what other mods people have done with their cars... As for finding a tune shop there is an option in the forum listings for your area.. Best bet would try looking in there and making a question in there for that topic. Hopefully this helps you out somewhat and/or someone more experienced gives you info.. take care drive safe

Quote Originally Posted by BOshea View Post
    What's Up Man... Welcome to the site. Anyways I don't think you'll have much of an issue with the 91-93 octane. As long as you fill up with High test fuel is all that should matter. Just try to find a station that provides the 93. As per the E85. That is a popular tune that people use for calibrating the turbo and air fuel ratios. As per upgrading.... Anything dealing with motor as far as downpipes or cold air intake you'll need a tune otherwise your car will run choppy and discharge a lot of the power. Once you have a tune with your upgraded parts you will have a noticeable gain in performance. Although I am new to this site I have had Turbo cars in the past. Your best bet is to pop-in the forums with inquires and you'll get useful information. Other than that do your research and see what other mods people have done with their cars... As for finding a tune shop there is an option in the forum listings for your area.. Best bet would try looking in there and making a question in there for that topic. Hopefully this helps you out somewhat and/or someone more experienced gives you info.. take care drive safe
    Perfect thanks a lot! Now can somebody explain catted vs catless to me in exhaust, up pipes, down pipes, etc.? What are the pros and cons of being catted vs catless? Also will someone please explain and compare the different types of exhaust? I have heard of turboback, catback, free flowing, and straight pipe. I understand that a turboback is from the turbo-back and same with catback, but what are the major differences in sound, performance, etc. between these? Pros and cons of each? My friend had his turbo Cobalt straight piped and I love how it sounds, but I haven't taken a ride in it since the new exhaust was installed, only heard it from the outside. Some people have told me straight pipe are obnoxious to live with and a nuisance to the community, so I would like to understand my options! Thanks again!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Read the map notes.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Tuning options

So far I have heard of two options for tuning my 02 WRX- Accessport or protune with a custom map. It sound like the custom tune is definitely the way to go for my goals and plans for this car. Are the Accessport and custom tune my only options? What does everyone recommend? How much will a custm tune cost? Will I have to get a new tune every time I upgrade? If I need a tune directly after putting on upgrades, how am I supposed to get it from where I am working on it to the tuners? Is is fine to drive as long as I don't drive it hard or will I have to get it towed or hauled or something? Lastly, anyone know of any good tuners in the Dubuque/Davenport Iowa areas or surrounding areas in Ikwa, Illinois, or Wisconsin? Thanks

No, there's the AP, a pro tune, an e tune, and romraider/tactrix cable. Recommend a fortune, it is custom map for your car and mods. Pro tune can cost 400-600, plus some tuners like you to have an AP to tune it, another 650$. Yes you'll need a new tune after u upgrade. Have shop do install, or drive a short distance and out of boost.. and idk, I'm in florida.
    Use the search function for this stuff man, all of these questions have been answered.
    Lastly, save up and do all your mods, THEN get a protune.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Use the specified subforums to post these threads and stop cluttering the new member subforum

Well as I am a NEW MEMBER, I didn't know about the "specified subforums." My apologies for being in the NEW MEMBERS forum and "cluttering" things. Thanks for the helpful and kind response, I really appreciate it.

Well now you know! Check your other threads you posted here for my "helpful and kind" responses

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    No, there's the AP, a pro tune, an e tune, and romraider/tactrix cable. Recommend a fortune, it is custom map for your car and mods. Pro tune can cost 400-600, plus some tuners like you to have an AP to tune it, another 650$. Yes you'll need a new tune after u upgrade. Have shop do install, or drive a short distance and out of boost.. and idk, I'm in florida.
    Use the search function for this stuff man, all of these questions have been answered.
    Lastly, save up and do all your mods, THEN get a protune.

I appreciate the fact that you at least answered the question here. I am a new member, I'm still getting the hang of this forum. If I search things and ask questions on someone else's thread, they tell me to start my own because I'm taking attention off the OP. Then I start my own threads to respect what I am being told by members who have been here longer than me, and I get told I'm cluttering the new members forum and to quit posting threads. I can't please everybody and I have questions jus like everyone else. Sorry to be an annoyance but I'm still figuring things out and just trying to get answers for my car, not have arguements over where to ask questions. Thanks

I hear us, I'm just trying to help you too. When you post a technical question in a new member thread, guess who is more than likely going to see it? New members. Going to the specified forums gets you more detailed and informative answers.
    Do you understand tuning methods now?

Yes I do, thank you! I think i am going to do all my upgrades at once and get a pro tune. I will be sure to find these specified forums before posting any more threads.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    So far I have heard of two options for tuning my 02 WRX- Accessport or protune with a custom map. It sound like the custom tune is definitely the way to go for my goals and plans for this car.
    What actually are your goals?

Are the Accessport and custom tune my only options?
    No.

What does everyone recommend?
    I'm sorry, but you will have to research this. Everyone will recommend something different. You will need to decide for yourself on this one, each option has pros and cons. And depending on your build, some options are better than others and some options might not even be possible. Read through all the stickies in the engine management section of the forums. NASIOC has a great EM section as well with some great stickies there too.

*Most people go with Cobb AP for ease of use or Tactrix cable + e-mail tune.

How much will a custm tune cost? Will I have to get a new tune every time I upgrade?
    around $500 for a top quality in-person dyno tune, plus an extra $100 or so for the same thing for when you change something in the build and need a re-tune. So I would do things in stages or all at once. Your tuner can answer specific questions about what mods to do all at once or advice on a complete build before getting tuned etc.

email tune - about $250, Cobb maps - $0, other base maps from assorted venders - $150 to $250, base maps available on OS or Romraider forums - $0.

do it yourself hardware: Cobb AP - $350-600, Tactrix - $150-200 depending on models/versions and if used or not.

If I need a tune directly after putting on upgrades, how am I supposed to get it from where I am working on it to the tuners? Is is fine to drive as long as I don't drive it hard or will I have to get it towed or hauled or something?
    The tuner will supply you with a base map to get your car from a to b.

Lastly, anyone know of any good tuners in the Dubuque/Davenport Iowa areas or surrounding areas in Ikwa, Illinois, or Wisconsin? Thanks
    Check you regional threads, regional websites and forums on here and NASIOC, local autocrosses, local clubs, local facebook pages for this answer.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    91 octane is not a problem. Tuners can tune using that. Or if your in an area that has 93 readily availbale, then they will tune for that. You can use whatever premium grade octane you want. They can even do california's piss poor octanes. And the e85 they're referring to is essentially race gas.

You will always need a tune if you replace the downpipe with an aftermarket one. Same with headers. Just a catback alone needs no tune.

Sound is almost all effected by the catback...which contains the mufflers and resonators so it makes sense right? For our cars performance is all in the downpipe and headers, in laymans terms.

For your exhaust questions:
    Exhaust FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

For your everything else questions, made specifically for new memebers:
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

If you have a question, check the stickies first in the sub-forums, they will be your life-blood. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.