Tuning and Octane questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Tuning and Octane questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; You seem to have a lot of threads asking a lot of easy and basic questions, is your car's maint. ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    You seem to have a lot of threads asking a lot of easy and basic questions, is your car's maint. etc. up to date? How's the compression? You really need to make sure you have a solid car before moving on with anything else. I'd hate to see your story end with a blown motor or something. I get the feeling you may have bought this car un-informed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    I appreciate the fact that you at least answered the question here. I am a new member, I'm still getting the hang of this forum. If I search things and ask questions on someone else's thread, they tell me to start my own because I'm taking attention off the OP. Then I start my own threads to respect what I am being told by members who have been here longer than me, and I get told I'm cluttering the new members forum and to quit posting threads. I can't please everybody and I have questions jus like everyone else. Sorry to be an annoyance but I'm still figuring things out and just trying to get answers for my car, not have arguements over where to ask questions. Thanks

Read up first.. I have not seen you ask a question that hasn't already been answered a hundred times. And there's no need to make two threads asking about tuning, in the same section, at virtually the same time. Ideally, if you have questions about tuning you should go into the tuning section of the forum and read the stickies there. If your questions aren't answered there, try searching (both the forum and google). If you still can't find the info you need (which would be amazing), then start a new thread.. starting two threads in the same place about the same thing won't benefit you.

An Access Port is just one device you can use to change the parameters in your ECU. A Tactrix cable is another piece of hardware you can use to write to your ECU. "Off the shelf" maps can be had for both devices. An OTS (off the shelf) map is a set of parameters you can write to your ECU that are loosely designed to work with a specific model of car with specific mods. It is not specifically designed to run on your car though, just a car like yours. Generally, OTS maps are very conservative in an attempt to stay safe on a number of cars and environments. This means they will not provide as much power and not be as smooth as a custom map. OTS maps can also be dangerous in some cases, especially if your car is not running perfectly, or if you go outside the map notes. While OTS maps work out for some people, personally, I would always want a good custom tune on my car.

Some tuners will use the Access Port, some will use a Tactrix cable.. most will use both.

Only your tuner can tell you how much they charge to tune cars (usually between $300 and $500). Depending on your car and your mods, it may be safe to drive to the tuner, or it may cause damage to your engine. Generally speaking, a 2002 WRX can get away with running an downpipe untuned for. So if you want to replace your downpipe, then drive to your tuner, that should be okay. For other mods, you either want to install them in the parking lot at the shop, or have the car hauled on a flat bed.. it just depends on what mods.

If you change anything that has to do with air or fuel, you should get the car retuned for the new mods. Some things, like bushings, shift knob, obviously don't need to be tuned for.

P&L Motorsports in Chicago has JR tune for them, he is a long time reputable Subaru tuner.

zax
    \_(ツ)_/
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    Just bought an 02 WRX AWD turbo... Any positive feedback would be appreciated.
    Welcome. I have merged your two threads in "New Member Hangout" since they overlap and were in the same subforum. I think you'll get answers in the thread itself; however, you can also follow the link in my signature for useful info.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12