Upgrade opinions
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Upgrade opinions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought an 02 WRX, it's my first Subaru and turbo vehicle. I have done some research and I am ...

Upgrade opinions

Just bought an 02 WRX, it's my first Subaru and turbo vehicle. I have done some research and I am trying to decide what upgrades will meet my goals. My friend owns a Cobalt SS turbo with 20lbs of boost and around 300hp. I'd like my car to closely match his in numbers. What would be a better route to go- COBB stage 2 kit, or a "can tune" with intercooler intake and exhaust upgrades followed by a protune? Keep in mind I want to (safely!) maximize boost without overdoing it and try to closely match my friend's Cobalt numbers. Open to any positive suggestions, Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely like the flexibility the accessport and protune offer.

Cobb makes good stuff but there are many other great manufactures!

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post

~Tyler K~

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is an accessport? How does it differ from what COBB offers? Is an accessport the same thing as a "can tune" or "flash tune"? What supporting mods would be needed? And what exactly could I expect to see for numbers with just an accessport and protune? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post

~Tyler K~

This might be a dumb question, but what exactly is an accessport? How does it differ from what COBB offers? Is an accessport the same thing as a "can tune" or "flash tune"? What supporting mods would be needed? And what exactly could I expect to see for numbers with just an accessport and protune? Thanks again!

I Support ClubWRX
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Time for some reading!

Start with the link in my sig, then:

Cobb AP vs OpenECU (Tactrix/Romraider/ECUFlash)

Then check out Cobb's website as Isaac posted. Specifically:

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_02-05.pdf
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Can tune? Flash tune?

All tunes are flashes of a new map to the ECU, optimized to run for the parts you add. Accessport is Cobb's way to flash a map onto the ECU.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

to make around 300whp on a bugye youll want a different turbo, install injectors, fuel pump, turboback, uppipe, bigger tmic, can also go EWG. even at the same power levels he will most likely have you at higher speeds but you can get a better launch.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    to make around 300whp on a bugye youll want a different turbo, install injectors, fuel pump, turboback, uppipe, bigger tmic, can also go EWG. even at the same power levels he will most likely have you at higher speeds but you can get a better launch.
    How much money should I plan on putting into all of these upgrades? This may be a dumb question as well, but since I have AWD does that mean I could possibly make slightly less than the Cobalt's numbers and be pretty evenly matched? Or will the AWD mostly just effect the launch?

Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    How much money should I plan on putting into all of these upgrades? This may be a dumb question as well, but since I have AWD does that mean I could possibly make slightly less than the Cobalt's numbers and be pretty evenly matched? Or will the AWD mostly just effect the launch?
    Why are you so dead set on beating a Cobalt? Shouldn't even be a worry of yours. Just enjoy your car for what you have and what you like out of it. There will always be a faster car out there than yours.

You're looking at about $2k+ including a GOOD tune.

You'll have the better launch...but if he has more power, he'll probably surpass you in the long run.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Just get snow tires and wait until the roads are covered and then you win.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Can tune? Flash tune?

All tunes are flashes of a new map to the ECU, optimized to run for the parts you add. Accessport is Cobb's way to flash a map onto the ECU.
    Thank you for clearing that up! I see this Accessport can be purchased as part of a stage 2 upgrade kit. How does a flash work? Do I plug it in somewhere on my car? Can it be done at home/on the go, or does it need to be done by a professional in a shop somewhere? Are all flash tunes purchased online the same way you would with the COBB Accessport? And why do you flash tune your car only to turn around and get it protuned immediately after? Wouldn't it make more sense to just do it all at once? Again, I'm new to all this so please keep up the positive information!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Why are you so dead set on beating a Cobalt? Shouldn't even be a worry of yours. Just enjoy your car for what you have and what you like out of it. There will always be a faster car out there than yours.

You're looking at about $2k+ including a GOOD tune.

You'll have the better launch...but if he has more power, he'll probably surpass you in the long run.
    It's not that I'm worried about beating the Cobalt, I jus like his set up and where his car's numbers are at, and I would enjoy it if my car was putting out similar boost, etc. Thanks for the answers on the cost of upgrades!

A Protune is a custom tune made for your car and your current mods. It is the best way to get your car tuned. The cobb ap can be used to do this by a pro tuner. The cobb ap also comes with pre loaded maps based off your year wrx and certain mods which you need to follow the map notes exactly how they are or you will blow your car up.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Basically the way the cobb accessport works is it plugs into your OBD connector underneath your steering wheel, you plug it in, turn your car to "on" (not running), the accessport will mate to your vehicle, then upload the stock map to it for safe keeping. On your car, since its an 02, you will need to connect the green connector located to the left of your steering column under your dash in order to reflash the ecu. Once all that is done you select your desired map for your mods. For example "stage 2 93 octane" and wait for it to reflash your ecu. Unplug your green connector. Done.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.