Newbie to WRX and boost

This is a discussion on Newbie to WRX and boost within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just purchased my first WRX and first turbo vehicle. I was considering a COBB stage 2 upgrade, or any turboback ...

Newbie to WRX and boost

Just purchased my first WRX and first turbo vehicle. I was considering a COBB stage 2 upgrade, or any turboback exhaust stage 2 upgrades for my 02 WRX. I was wondering how much boost I could safely run on a stock turbo with stage 2 upgrades. Any positive feedback would be appreciated as I am brand new to this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just take your time with your mods and research alot before adding anything.
    Good luck

I Support ClubWRX
    COBB maps target between 16 and 17 PSI on a stage 2 tune with supporting mods. 16 would be the cali and other low strict emission states (Arizona I think), and then 16.5 for a 91 octane map and 17 for a 93 octane map. Once you go to an aftermarket turbo you would no longer be stage 2 and would need a slew of supporting mods and you car would need to be professionally tuned. One thing to be sure of is to just ask questions and read up on all the various modifications and things to look out for before you jump into anything. 02's can take some bolt ons without tuning with less risk than the newer gens, but it is generally a good idea to tune the car to get the most out of your mods. I would recommend getting a compression/leak test on the car before you dump too much money into modifying just to make sure you are starting with a healthy engine.

Here is where I pulled the boost information for you --->https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_02-05.pdf

Here is a good thread to look though (pay attention to the up-pipe link within this link)--->First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Here is a good link that I learned a lot of info about our cars--->Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    COBB maps target between 16 and 17 PSI on a stage 2 tune with supporting mods. 16 would be the cali and other low strict emission states (Arizona I think), and then 16.5 for a 91 octane map and 17 for a 93 octane map. Once you go to an aftermarket turbo you would no longer be stage 2 and would need a slew of supporting mods and you car would need to be professionally tuned. One thing to be sure of is to just ask questions and read up on all the various modifications and things to look out for before you jump into anything. 02's can take some bolt ons without tuning with less risk than the newer gens, but it is generally a good idea to tune the car to get the most out of your mods. I would recommend getting a compression/leak test on the car before you dump too much money into modifying just to make sure you are starting with a healthy engine.

Here is where I pulled the boost information for you --->https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu..._WRX_02-05.pdf

Here is a good thread to look though (pay attention to the up-pipe link within this link)--->First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Here is a good link that I learned a lot of info about our cars--->Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Welcome
    Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know upgrading the turbo and getting a protune could probably run more boost, but as you mentioned that takes a lot of supporting mods, etc. Id rather stick with the simplicity of stage 2 to start with and eventually work my way up. So you're saying even with a tune and stage 2 upgrades that 20psi probably isn't safe and I'm going to be looking at closer to 16psi? How close in comparison are 20psi to 16psi? I ask because my friend has a Cobalt SS turbo that is 20psi and I want my car to closely match his in numbers. Thanks again!

Congrats dude and enjoy the ride..

pinellas county dui lawyer
    Last edited by louisrine; 04-07-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stage02WRX View Post
    Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know upgrading the turbo and getting a protune could probably run more boost, but as you mentioned that takes a lot of supporting mods, etc. Id rather stick with the simplicity of stage 2 to start with and eventually work my way up. So you're saying even with a tune and stage 2 upgrades that 20psi probably isn't safe and I'm going to be looking at closer to 16psi? How close in comparison are 20psi to 16psi? I ask because my friend has a Cobalt SS turbo that is 20psi and I want my car to closely match his in numbers. Thanks again!
    My target boost is 19 psi on a stage 2 tune. Its an e tune and not a Cobb tune though, and its a 2011. But Ya, that's just the intake and tune.
    More boost doesn't necessarily mean more power. Some with a larger tmic and ELH actually run lower boost levels because the motor is much more efficient. And by some I mean krisk.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk