Not my first Scooby, but my first WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Not my first Scooby, but my first WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone! I signed up a few years back but never really posted a whole lot on clubwrx. I just ...

Not my first Scooby, but my first WRX

Hello everyone! I signed up a few years back but never really posted a whole lot on clubwrx. I just picked up my 2nd Subaru (4th between my wife and I), a 2014 WRX hatch. So far I'm loving it!

Our 1st Subaru was a 98 OBW that my wife received as a hand me down after her parents purchased and loved their Forrester. We kept that car for about 4-5 years or so and last year sold it so my wife could get a new 2014 FXT. She loves it and I was jealous that she got the turbo Scooby while I was still stuck with my NA.

My first Subaru was an 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT. I was happy to get back into a manual transmission and a 4 cylinder engine that was easier to work on than my previous Chrysler. I loved my Legacy, but really wanted the power of a turbo especially after getting my wife one! It just wasn't fair that her car was faster and got better mileage than mine! So, I traded my Legacy in on a WRX!

As soon as I got it home I installed DRT Components mud flaps, a Grimmspeed license plate relocation kit and Weathertech digitalfit liners.

I'm probably not going to do too much just yet, but planned mods:
    - sway bars
    - exhaust
    - tint

I will probably keep it stock otherwise for a while. I am considering getting a clear bra installed and/or applying a coating to protect the paint.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi, the hatches are nice, congrats.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Congrats… Love hatchbacks.

congrats on the new ride...smart choice on the sways. i think the wrx has a lot of body roll for a sports sedan

Welcome to the forums go stage 2 you'll love it.

lol, thanks guys.

My first mods are going to be:
    tint - I get really sensitive to light sometimes so I'm going to get some tint put on. Probably 35% all around like my last car. Dark enough to really help me out, but light enough to keep the cops from pulling me over all the time.

Sway Bars - This was the first mod on my wife's FXT and my 06 Legacy and both really helped out. I'm actually going to measure the stock bar bc the 14 FXT uses the same RSB so I ordered a 19mm STI bar from the dealer for her. I want to say the OEM FXT bar is 17mm while I read somewhere the WRX is 16mm so I might throw that in while I decide and save up for real sways. I'm not sure what size/brand to get just yet.

Clear Bra/paint protection - I keep going back and forth on this one. I can see the benefits, just not sure I want to drop 500-600 then deal with lines when detailing. Regardless of if I do this the rest of or entire car will receive a full detail and application of a coating. I'm looking at cquartz uk for this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post
    Clear Bra/paint protection - I keep going back and forth on this one. I can see the benefits, just not sure I want to drop 500-600 then deal with lines when detailing. Regardless of if I do this the rest of or entire car will receive a full detail and application of a coating. I'm looking at cquartz uk for this.
    I think this is very much worth the money. I wish I had done it back when I bought my car...Our paint (technically the clearcoat) is very soft, and depending on where you live, any amount of detailing/wax won't really protect it from chips.

My main concern is that I'd get the clear bra then still get chips farther up the hood or farther up the fenders. I priced up to get full hood full fenders, rocker panels etc and it was almost double the price of the hood, mirrors fender tips and hood tip. I can justify the lower price, but not double... Especially since I want to do other mods as well. I take pretty good care of my vehicles so they typically don't get too beat up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yesterday, I picked up a used roof rack set. Today, I ordered some Cquartz UK today as well as some Whiteline swaybars and Kartboy endlinks. Can't wait!

Well, I got my car tinted and installed the sways yesterday. It really tightened everything up nicely. I'll have to take a couple pictures. I did notice that the headlights are horrible last night though so I'm going to have to look into some type of upgrade.

welcome.... Enjoy the hatch i sure do!!

I spent today detailing it! I didn't get the tires dressed and I forgot to get some DLux on the antenae, but the rest of the car has been coated!

Today's process
    1. set up my new canopy
    2. wash 3 bucket & Megs gold class shampoo
    3. clay bar
    4. ONR wash
    5. Carpro Eraser
    6. Carpro Cquartz UK applied to all metal surfaces
    7. Carpro DLux applied to all trim, headlights and wheels
    8. Carpro Reload

Here's a few pics. You can see our FXT in the background of some of them.

Last edited by soloz2; 04-13-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: fixed picture links

Quick question...
    Will 02-03 wrx 16" wheels fit over my front brakes? I believe they will. I found a set local for $100 and am thinking about picking them up to use as a dedicated winter setup.

Also I'm hoping to find a nice exhaust that will give a bit more rumble... Nothing crazy but maybe around perrin or spt levels.

Just need to be careful with spending too much $ until I get back to work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yes. You have the same front brakes as the 2002-2003 WRX.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yes. You have the same front brakes as the 2002-2003 WRX.
    Thanks! That's what I thought. I'll go check them out and if they look decent grab them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast