Hello from Chicago

This is a discussion on Hello from Chicago within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all, I'm from Chicago and I'm looking to become a Subaru owner soon. A little background. I'm a car ...

Hello from Chicago

Hello all, I'm from Chicago and I'm looking to become a Subaru owner soon.

A little background. I'm a car enthusiast and currently own an '07 Mazda 3 hatchback (5MT). I've long been a fan of Subaru, in fact the WRX was on my shortlist at the time I bought the Mazda but ultimately I went with the more fuel-efficient option.

Recently, however, after our latest nasty Chicago winter I decided I've had enough and I need an AWD car with an auto transmission. Why auto? Because even though I enjoy swapping my own gears (I've been driving manual for 15 years), Chicago traffic is incredibly frustrating and I'm sick and tired of going in 1st-2nd gear for miles on end on my daily commute. There's simply no joy in that.

So I've been searching for: 1) a fun car 2) with AWD 3) with an auto transmission 4) preferably turbo. I narrowed it down to the 2015 Subaru WRX with the CVT. I know that a CVT is not the ideal performance car transmission but so far the reviews have been very positive. I've sat in a 2015 WRX at the Chicago Auto Show and I really liked what I saw. Hopefully I'll get the chance to drive one soon.

I also considered a 2015 Audi A3 but dismissed it after assessing the costs and pitfalls of owning a German luxury car.

So here I am, trying to find out more about Subaru before I become an owner myself.

(FYI I've posted this same introduction on another Subaru forum)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

welcome! pics and vids of the new WRX!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    welcome! pics and vids of the new WRX!
    Thanks! It will be a while until I buy my WRX, considering dealers don't have them yet and the waiting list is long. There's also a slim possibility that I will hate the CVT and be forced to consider another model/brand *shudder*. But I'll definitely post pics when I have it.

I agree on needing an AWD after this brutal Chicago winter. It's interesting that you cross shopped an Audi as the TT was on my list until I researched what it actually costs to own one as far as maintanance and repair. I am looking at the 14s as the hatchback is a must. I ruled out the STI as the performance margin was small and this isn't my fast car, it's my Daily Driver. Good luck with the search.

I had the A3 and Mazda CX-5 on my list. The Audi seems to expensive to maintain and long-term reliability is an unknown, not very trustworthy. The CX-5 is very roomy but in the end the WRX won out because I don't really need so much space (no kids or need to carry anything), besides it's bound to be tons more fun than the Mazda.

Chicago Traffic isn't that bad. I've DD'd my '11 WRX through the city and expressway no problem.

Grab a manual before buyers remorse settles in.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stilletto View Post
    Chicago Traffic isn't that bad. I've DD'd my '11 WRX through the city and expressway no problem.

Grab a manual before buyers remorse settles in.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    I beg to differ. Case in point this very morning. My commute took 1.5 hours instead to the "normal" 45-60 minutes for 15 miles due to the rain. A lot of this was in 1st gear. Besides I want an automatic so the wife can also drive it if need be. A few years ago I swore I would never buy an automatic sports/sporty car but as I grew older my tastes changed. I really doubt I'll ever buy a manual again except perhaps as a 3rd car.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk