wheel size??????????????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on wheel size?????????????? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; looking to go 19's just for street use and looks whats the widest id be able to go???? car isn't ...

wheel size??????????????

looking to go 19's just for street use and looks whats the widest id be able to go???? car isn't lowered yet and probably won't be until after the wheels go on
    not looking for guesses or how wide i might be able to go if you're running 19's id appreciate some feed back on your width and off set please

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    hello :]

i honestly would reconsider 19's. they just look too big on our cars and they are often going to be very heavy. i'd stick to 18's at the very most (17 is ideal).

unfortunately we cannot recommend a width or offset without knowing what vehicle you own. the newer body styles can fit alittle more wider wheel without as much trouble as an older model would

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

well my bad i hate to be rude but i figured my profile, if viewed, would say what i own… 2013 wrx as far as my choice for 19's its how i said it would be for street use only not for getting to business. I'm a truck driver so usually when i do get to drive my 2013 wrx its for long hauls. so id like the bigger wheel for an easier drive.

Bigger the wheel, the less sidewall, the bumpier the ride.
    I am curious to see what you come up with and how it looks though!
    Good luck

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    How are the roads in AZ?
    I had 19" in NJ on a previous car and was constantly avoiding potholes

if you lower with 19"'s you may need to roll your fenders just something else to consider

Sweet!!!
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

yeah the roads are cool in az and everywhere id take the car as well as most of the roads i travel.
    I guess ill have to completely explain my reasoning.

ok so im wanting 19's on just for the long haul. when the car does get used for fun the stock wheels go back on with autoX tires. when the car does get suspension it will get a higher end coil over set. how i attack all of my projects are with wheels first then suspension, so i know how much if at all i can lower the car. look people I'm not new to builds been doing this for a while. just not with subarus so the make part of it is new. I've gotta lear new off set numbers and everything like those specifics that go with subaru. i really appreciate that you'd want to look out about certain things but really all i asked for was what would be the widest and the off set id need to look for. everyone has that certain vision in their mind about what they are after. Im not looking to build mine the way others have done with theirs. seriously its a shame i don't get to even see my car as much as i would let alone drive it. if that were the case id go with 18x8.5's or 9" wide for that matter and be done with it.
    sorry for this being a little rude but when its a specific question being asked and not a single specific answer being given only opinions,which i didn't ask for, it tends to bother me just a little as you can obviously tell.
    guess ill just have do what i can when I'm with the car which is never to figure it out on my own

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you want 19s and stanced out suspension, I don't think anyone on this board will help you with your choice.

You'll probably have much better luck Googling or browsing StanceNation *shudders*
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

see now a helpful response TY Ive been looking everywhere so far and been seeing a lot of what might be possible positive numbers.. mostly +35 off sets so i figure id try to see on here if that may be the close or correct.
    the skinny of the deal just may be that i end up throwing the 19 idea out and running 18's but its a project so I've got time for research you know… also i just don't want to buy what I've already seen on something else

zax
    The offset does play a major component depending on the wheel size. I will warn you: I am a stickler about proper suspension and wheel setup, so I will do my very best to steer you away from very wide wheels. There are significant disadvantages to running overly-large wheels.

From a looks perspective, I'm not sure you've realized how small your stock brakes are until you've installed the 19s. They will look absolutely ludicrous. Furthermore, I understand that Phoenix does not have the weather damage on the roads that are prevalent elsewhere, but 19s will ride a lot harsher compared to 17s or 18s.

Facebook me here

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Taking measurements would be a good idea actually. But since you want a specific answer immediately, I'll give you one based on conjecture and my current knowledge of the new models. Firsthand experience with 19's is hard to find anywhere.

19 inch wheels? lower the tire profile by 5 compared to the 18's, so you're looking at around a 30 profile (maybe even less) tire if you want the rolling diameter to be correct.

Now that we've established a similar rolling diameter to an 18'' wheels which a lot of people have, we can talk about width. Most people going for looks go with 9-10.5 inches wide. And most people I've seen with a 10.5'' width have between a +45 and +30 offset. They may or may not have rolled/pulled their fenders.

Offset? If you care about the suspension geometry, then you should try and stick with as close to stock offset as you can. But that may be pretty much pointless since you will have such wide wheels. And you won't find aftermarket wheels with a +53 offset, closest you'll get is around +45. So that'd be suggested offset I guess.

To conclude, you'll just have to take some measurements to determine what range of width and offset you can get away with. I'm thinking this is a must because wheel selection won't be ideal, so you might not have much choice with width/offset. Wish I could give you firsthand experience, hope this was at least helpful and direct.

Now, where you're going to find wheels in 19x10 +45, or good tires in 275/30-19, I have no clue.

Threads of interest:
    The OFFICIAL 2011/12 WRX wheel/tire thread
    the wheel fitment thread: keep it drama free - NASIOC
    the official wheel/tire fitment thread: all fitment questions go here! - NASIOC

...and you can expand your search from those threads hopefully. Someone that can make corrections to my post feel free. Good day.

all of this i am aware of. bigger wheel smaller profile tire rougher ride yes i get it. but with longer highway drives bigger wheels get you that slightly better mpg and less wear and tear. when the car gets used for play ill put the stock wheels back on. it really feels like I'm chasing my tail here. it'd be a very long post if i were to start the informing of everything I've got planned but at the same time its just planned and from many past builds i know plans change so……. it starts with one step at a time. I can see that many here are opposed to 19's i get it as many people here drive there car on a daily basis and need to consider certain factors. I don't see my car hardly like near never. I don't come home its like once every 2 months for a few days maybe a week if i ask for it. so when i get to drive my car i already know where ill be going and what ill be doing with it. and right now its only going to be used for long treks on planned roads. it still only has 17k miles on it and I've had it since 1/5/13. let the truth be told that it'll be next year before actual money gets spent on it.
    as for the brakes they will work for me and the car for a while so its not going to bother me how they look inside of a wheel until i go above 400 whp.

good deal now i feel as i could be getting some where. this car has 2 purposes for me it'll either be doing long hauls or autoX only. Changing to many things(like rolling fenders and what not) is not my style so as much as i like the way supper wide wheels look on subarus I'm not a fan of having to worry about rolling my fenders then stiffening my suspension to the point where there is absolutely no give. there is a very big misconception with people and suspension. they see these touring cars on the circuit and think WOW that car is on the ground look how well it handles. then it gets viewed as the lower and stiffer i make my car then it'll handle that way. WRONG!! I'm aware what goes into those cars along with the cost of whats running on those cars and how their suspension actually function versus whats available for street use. probably getting off track here from my original topic.

IF and only if i choose to go 19's the car isn't gonna be "racing" or driven hard for that matter just highway use.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekoaenos View Post
    but with longer highway drives bigger wheels get you that slightly better mpg and less wear and tear
    I'm afraid I don't understand the logic behind this post: please clarify to satisfy my own curiosity.

Facebook me here

bigger diameter wheels are better for longer traveling distance once your up to highway speeds. it also lowers the rpm's that the car would normally be running at with smaller diameter wheels once at speeds. yes it takes more to get them there but once there its less wear and tear. the actual numbers are not huge differences only slight. every little bit counts though

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Kekoaenos View Post
    bigger diameter wheels are better for longer traveling distance once your up to highway speeds. it also lowers the rpm's that the car would normally be running at with smaller diameter wheels once at speeds. yes it takes more to get them there but once there its less wear and tear. the actual numbers are not huge differences only slight. every little bit counts though
    OK, this COMPLETELY changes the game here. You're looking for larger diameter overall wheel+tire.

That is HIGHLY not recommended. You're talking about effectively gearing down the car, which will put considerably more stress on the transmission, differentials, and half-axles. In case you aren't aware, the WRX is not known for a strong transmission to start.

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.