New To Subaru And Learning How To Fix Cars (Especially Mine)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on New To Subaru And Learning How To Fix Cars (Especially Mine) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi, The name's Aquaman, I'm from Phoenix, AZ. I just bought an 02 WRX STI wagon last week, and it ...

Wink New To Subaru And Learning How To Fix Cars (Especially Mine)

Hi,
    The name's Aquaman, I'm from Phoenix, AZ.

I just bought an 02 WRX STI wagon last week, and it is a ****box lol Took it to the dealer today for some recalls and an inspection. Here's the list of crap wrong with it besides its ****ty widebody kit that's falling off and zip-tied:
    Outer tie rod end replacement (left front)
    Alignment
    Left rear wheel stud broken
    Right rear wheel bearing
    Intercooler not mounted
    Reverse light switch broken
    Front sway bar link hitting frame
    Aftermarket speedometer doesn't work and fuel gauge is off
    ABS light is on
    Washer bottle is missing
    Needs pads and caliper kit
    Needs to be tuned (can't go over 3k unless I baby it)

Plus a new hood, body kit, and windshield.

KBB had it listed for 9-12k
    I paid 7k
    Definitely needs some love.

I have buddies that will help me with most of it, but it's still going to be a pain lol But it will be worth it.

Also, anyone know anything about Meth kits? I guess it has one, but I know nothing about it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395122771745.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	140041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395122787484.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	140049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395122807814.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	140057Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395122822521.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	140065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395122870768.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	140073

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Im_Aquaman View Post
    Hi,
    The name's Aquaman, I'm from Phoenix, AZ.

I just bought an 02 WRX STI it is not an STI...take it back to the PO and slap them. wagon last week, and it is a ****box lol Took it to the dealer today for some recalls and an inspection. Here's the list of crap wrong with it besides its ****ty widebody kit that's falling off and zip-tied:

Outer tie rod end replacement (left front)
    Alignment
    Left rear wheel stud broken
    Right rear wheel bearing some of these things are probably from your "widebody kit with +25mm spacer"
    Reverse light switch broken
    Front sway bar link hitting frame
    ABS light is on ABS sucks anyway...luckily each things isnt too costly but all together they are
    Washer bottle is missing

Intercooler not mounted
    Needs pads and caliper kit
    Aftermarket speedometer doesn't work and fuel gauge is off
    Needs to be tuned (can't go over 3k unless I baby it)

So you drove an untuned car slow with barely any brakes/stopping power with an unmounted intercooler and thought it was ok to purchase and worth your money?

Plus a new hood, body kit, and windshield.

KBB had it listed for 9-12k
    I paid 7k
    Definitely needs some love.
    yes, like more than the amount of love than any of the missed connetions and seeking section on craigslist can possible give

Also, anyone know anything about Meth kits? I guess it has one, but I know nothing about it.
    were you using meth when you purchased this vehicle? at least you couldve googled the things that were installed on this car before buying it or going to take a look.

first step, see if you can get your money back and if you realllyy want a wrx buy a fully stock one. how about a nice civic?

second step since first step most likely work out in your favor is take the car to a subaru dealer- get the things fixed like the wheel problems and the brakes fixed, tmic mounted..windshield, find a local used stock speedo or have dealer install a new one. when your car can be considered "safe" to drive on the road with the other cars (buy the subaru dealers standards, clearly not your own) take it to a tuning shop, one who tunes subarus frequently and also can do some installs on aftermarket parts and have them do a compression and leakdown test, boost leak test, take off the meth kit and turbo timer(sell them) and tune your car with a conservative tune. the widebody kit isnt horrible but needs work and car needs a repaint. the front fenders imo need to go. no matter how great of a deal you think it was from KBB, 7k$ is alot for someones problems and thats not nearly your total cost with all those future repairs. hate to be harsh to a new bugeye owner but jesus h christ i hope this is a troll post. im glad you called your car a ****box before any of us did.. but anyway welcome to clubwrx!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I agree you should of looked into the modifications on google that were on this car before purchasing. Honestly I think you gotta the crappy end of the deal. You should always buy stock with these cars not to mention it looks like its seen better days. You should not be driving the car like that especially if its not tuned properly you can do more harm to it. I'd have a subaru dealer fix all the problems take it to a reputable tuner so its safe to drive. Sorry to say it but you got screwed you ended up with someone elses problems. I've never seen a bugeye in that bad of shape. Mine was roughly around the same price a little more and my car is pretty much immaculate anyways welcome to the club.

I Support ClubWRX
    in all honesty, and not trying to be a **** about it....$7K is about twice what this car is worth in the current state, and that is only assuming that there is not any 'hidden' damage, and that you were planning on not driving it till you had a chance to rebuild it. Few points....

With an aftermarket speedo, which doesn't even work too boot, how do you possibly think a 12 year old car only has 53K miles on it?

Meth kit means abused. 'jdm' or not, abused like a redhead step child.

The entire front end of that car has been ripped off. Between the miss-match hood and grill, the rice front fenders, and the way the front bumper fits I can almost guarantee you that thing was in a pretty good accident. One so bad, I would not be surprised to find frame damage.

Now, I'm not saying you are doomed.....but you will need to drop a good $5-7K into that car to make it worth $9-10K
    Stink-Eye Mob #39
    N.E.R.D. Operative #8

I haven't posted on here in weeks, months maybe...but I'm back just to restate that bugeyes are the new civics. Sorry kids, but that's where we are with the age our brand is. Maybe we should go to the honda forums and ask how they dealt with this crap.
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

they dealt with by using zipties lolol. but i love my hondabugeye
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    they dealt with by using zipties lolol. but i love my hondabugeye
    lulz... The difference is that you are a legit modder, etc. Most of the people on here with Bugeyes, those who've had them for at least 5-10 years, are not the people I'm talking about. The issue is that they are now in the same pricing bracket as a used civic. What would you spend $8k on, a civic or a turbocharged AWD with better looks and twice the power?
    Zach
    Teh Intern @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2009 WRB Subaru Wrx Sedan: WTF Tuning Stg2
    Stink eye Mob #287
    N.E.R.D. #43252003274489856000 (the total number of configurations of the Rubik cube)
    "It's not turbo-lag, it's foreplay"

It probably doesn't have a turbo

I Support ClubWRX
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I still have my truck that I'm driving, and like I said I had Subaru inspect it. I used carfax on it and and it was in a minor accident no major damage in Texas. It sat for a few years at an auto shop which is why it has lower miles, but as you said the mileage is probably off from the crappy Speedo. I will take the advice of ditching the meth kit, since honestly I'm not trying to race it or anything. My first step is to make it safe like stated above, fixing all the problems. Then I'm getting a new hood (non carbon fiber like I said I'm not racing it), I have a hookup on a windshield, then I'm going to add a ****ing muffler to the straightpipe cuz for the love of god this is a wrx not a civic. The thing doesn't even have a catalytic converter. I have no idea how he got it to pass emissions. Next will be the body kit, and then paint. It has some hail damage but I want to model it after Higgins so the hail just looks rally anyway. I know it's going to take a lot of love, but I'm going to get it done! I appreciate the concern and letting me know I got the short stick here. Ps trust me, I feel like a tool inside it with the I love cop stickers and **** lol. Not my style. Think of me buying this car as a service to the world

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395152476649.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	140081 my end goal minus the fin and decals, aesthetically

Why the **** did you buy this car knowing full well it was trash????
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I didn't know about all the busted insides, I just thought the exterior was a little wrecked. The guy who sold it to me was full of ****, but oh well. What's done is done. Lol I have a project on my hand, and at least it will help me learn about how to work on cars.
    Also for tuning, anyone heard of a place called Forced Air Technologies? I was recommended to go there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Im_Aquaman View Post

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1395152476649.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	140081 my end goal minus the fin and decals, aesthetically
    This is going to be highly difficult since this is not the car you purchased.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.