New To Subaru And Learning How To Fix Cars (Especially Mine) - Page 10
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

This is a discussion on New To Subaru And Learning How To Fix Cars (Especially Mine) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by zax No, it's not at all easy. You will need the JDM harness and JDM ECU. In ...

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No, it's not at all easy. You will need the JDM harness and JDM ECU. In fact, it is the most difficult of all swaps. I thought I already explained this to you? Also, $3600 my ass.
    They sell them with the JDM Harness and ECU.

motor only 3k to 3500 all day.

Everything like 6 to 8k. That's brembos, axles, tranny, etc.

ill let you know how hard it was in a few months. I don't expect or to be super easy but there is no custom fabing. It's all swapping parts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Some advice from someone who was once swindled as a kid but now am very knowledgeable with cars.

Step one: Park It, Set Goals and Deadlines-
    Do not let that thing move until after step four. What do you want to do to it? When and how are you going to achieve it?

Step two: Forum Lurk, before you even touch that car.-
    Part A= As a new member here myself I've spent a lot of time going through the stickies and FAQ sections. I suggest you do too. Ideally, you would have done this pre-buy. Lke I did/ am doing, but we're past that and we're getting into the wrenching.
    Learn the lingo too.

Part B= Become one with this site and try to find similar DIY build threads. I.E Exhaust replacement, Turbo leak tests turbo replacement/rebuild, I/C replacement, Engine rebuilding, Brake swaps, Manual transmission rebuild and so on and so on.

Whatever is wrong with your car, someone else has done it.

Part C= Use the search button. Someone has probably run into "that" issue before and posted a thread.

Part D= Reach out to members. This forum is wide reaching, there's probably member close to your location that would love to wrench on a Wagon and down a case of beer.

Or just ask any one of the posters thus far
    that have commented tech questions. All of them are veterans. If you'd lurked before buying you would have known this lol

* I suggest going through "zax bug eye build" and any other of zaxs tech posts. I learned a lot from that particular build thread. He goes into depth of what went wrong and why. Also did A LOT of trouble shooting. A very knowledgeable guy.

* Also, you can PM me questions too. Chances are I've, "Read a thread about that." Lol I also own a Saabaru 9-2x( 2.5i) and have been a longtime wrx fan and a longtime wrencher.

Step Three: Revert to Stock-
    GET THAT AFTERMARKET BULL**** OFF YOUR CAR BEFORE IT BLOWS YOUR INTERNALS THROUGH THE ASS END.
    Seriously, if that idiot put it onto your car, he didn't do it right. I GUARANTEE you that! Research before buying, don't buy the first part you see. Use ebay and Club and other forum market places to buy used when possible. Generally you can find reviews here on aftermarket parts too, when needed.

Step four: Get it Tuned.
    Go stage 2. Turbo back exhaust and an EM plug in unit. You're a novice I'd suggest COBB. This right here will keep you satisfied until you finish planning a more ambitious build.

Step Five: Cosmetic.
    This is completely up to you, but I liked that earlier posted blue wide body. I thought it was classy as ****. But follow steps 1-4, Unless you want to shell out money for a new engine.

I apologize if I got stuff wrong or if anything doesn't make sense. I'm at work, have 3 hours of sleep and am still hangover... feel free to add a step or parts of a step.

-Jason A.K.A livid_wrx
    Newish member.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by livid_wrx; 04-06-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    They sell them with the JDM Harness and ECU.

motor only 3k to 3500 all day.

Everything like 6 to 8k. That's brembos, axles, tranny, etc.

ill let you know how hard it was in a few months. I don't expect or to be super easy but there is no custom fabing. It's all swapping parts.
    How are you handling the wiring? Which ECU are you using or are you using both as recommended?

It is easy just like it is easy to swap a 2.5RS.

Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best and am interested in how it goes for you.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I've seen this swap on forester forums and they opted for full merges and usually paid someone else to do it.

Might be a little more straightforward on an actual impreza though.

MTM
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    How are you handling the wiring? Which ECU are you using or are you using both as recommended?

It is easy just like it is easy to swap a 2.5RS.

Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best and am interested in how it goes for you.
    Ill be using the wiring harness that the JDM motor comes with as well as the JDM ECU. I want the AVCS so using the JDM ECU is the best and easiest option. There is some small changes from my research but it doesnt look insanely hard. I am subie newb, so I have a few guys who are going to help me, one who is what I would call an "expert". He is the one who suggested the swap, so with his help and the help of my other buddy im hoping it will go smoothly. Murphys law, something will most likely happen though.

I will be using the stock 5spd... while it sucks Ill have to baby it somewhat, I think I can make it last for a few years. So I have a brand new clutch and flywheel ready to go as well.

I have heard both sides on why this is a great idea and why its a terrible one. Ive talked to guys whove done it though and I have heard 0 unhappy they did it. They all LOVE it, and say it was well worth the money and time.

MTM
    damnit double post

When I plug in the new Speedo will it display the correct mileage?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

That depends on a few things.

1. If the original speedo mileage is digital
    2. The new one is digital
    3.If stock ECU records mileage and if it's programmed to tell a new speedo the mileage.

On my 2000 Si, it's a no to these. On my 05 9-2x, I believe it's a yes to all of this. Depending if the replacement is OEM.I believe I read somewhere in here that it's aftermarket? What's the brand?

When I plugged in the new one it gave me a higher mileage. Does it read from the computer or does it store it from the car they pulled it from?
    I'll check

Higher mileage than what the broken one told you?

Also, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397591972436.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	144201 my lights are on and I don't know why

Yes

Ok the lights were a switch on top of the steering wheel I got that lol I've never seen a switch like that before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1397592231936.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	144209 here's old aftermarket cluster