Question

This is a discussion on Question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; This has already been answered to an extent but i thought i'd ask again anyways. So i have a Catless ...

Question

This has already been answered to an extent but i thought i'd ask again anyways.

So i have a Catless Invidia DP + Blitz Nur-r Cat Back. No Accessport as of now, and yes i realize i need a tune. My question is: Is my car still fine to drive? I plan on getting a Cobb v3 AP within a month sooner if possible but until then i don't want to put on the stock dp and buy more gaskets. I drive pretty casual *until i see a mustang* and i've had no problems without a tune so far so. Still safe to drive?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not safe. You need to tune it or take the DP off and put the stock on. You don't know if you have had any issues yet because you have no way of logging data.

A few gaskets will be much cheaper than the damage you most likely will cause by going into boost untuned with a high flow downpipe and no tune.

You've had that DP on for over 6 weeks right? Buy an AP or a cheaper tactrix cable right now and tune it. Stay out of boost til then.
    In short, not safe at all. Deadly really...

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

You never specified the car, Bugeyes are much more forgiving when it comes to a DP without a tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by A265 View Post
    You never specified the car, Bugeyes are much more forgiving when it comes to a DP without a tune.
    Its not a bugeye, it's a hawkeye. I saw his other thread.

Bugeyes are more forgiving to not tuning for the DP but I would still get a proper tune.. Do you have a catless up pipe?

Oh nvm your's is a 06 right?

I Support ClubWRX
    There's really nothing up to debate here. He has an 06 with a downpipe on and it is not properly tuned for. Either he needs to 1) take the downpipe off and put the stock on back on, or 2) tune the car properly before he goes back out on the road and gets into boost. Otherwise there is a risk of catastrophic consequences. If he wants to continue to drive the car without being properly tuned, then maybe, MAYBE, he will luck out and be ok, but more likely than not, there is damage being incurred already and he just doesn't know about it because he has no way of logging/monitoring.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cade06WRX View Post
    i've had no problems without a tune so far so.
    How could you POSSIBLY make this statement logically? You have no engine management and thus no way to datalog the car. For all you know, your car could be running 0.5 IAM and pulling timing across the entire powerband.

Trust me, I've been around the Subaru community long enough to know this dance by memory:
    1. Car is modified, not tuned
    2. Owner disregards warning message from community explaining a tune is required
    3. Owner claims "Car is running fine, so everything must be OK"
    4. Owner goes silent; Car shows up on Craiglist with "low compression in cylinder 3."

Morale of the story: Tune the damn car for the mods!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    How could you POSSIBLY make this statement logically? You have no engine management and thus no way to datalog the car. For all you know, your car could be running 0.5 IAM and pulling timing across the entire powerband.

Trust me, I've been around the Subaru community long enough to know this dance by memory:
    2. Owner disregards warning message from community explaining a tune is required
    4. Owner goes silent; Car shows up on Craiglist with "low compression in cylinder 3."
    5. Drews buys it.

FTFY
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    FTFY
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

Thanks for the heads up everyone I appreciate all the input. Looks like im gonna put the stock DP on Friday, and wait till i get a Cobb AP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cade06WRX View Post
    Thanks for the heads up everyone I appreciate all the input. Looks like im gonna put the stock DP on Friday, and wait till i get a Cobb AP.
    You are making a smart choice man. You will have thousands less spent in gaskets than a new block. Be sure to keep the rpms out of the powerband and out of boost until you get that stock downpipe back on there. And hopefully you caught this before the damage has already been done to your car. Good luck dude.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread