Help me out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help me out within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; What's going on y'all my name is Brendan. I recently (about a month ago) bought a clean, pretty much virgin, ...

Help me out

What's going on y'all my name is Brendan. I recently (about a month ago) bought a clean, pretty much virgin, 2005 wrx. Well it has stock rims and tires and that had to go, so I bought a set of STR 518 17x9 rims. Yesterday I was on my way to LA from 29 palms (about a 3 hour drive) to get the rims and my check engine light came on, I went to slow down and I heard a knock, 3 times about every 2 or 3 seconds. This is my first import and have no clue what would make that noise. I know the engine is done, due to the fact it went into limp mode then shut down. I have worked on domestic cars my whole life, but I'm really lost on this one and what it could be. Help me out. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    whats the code for the CEL?

A knock sensor

I Support ClubWRX
    Code #?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

PO325

It threw like 8 codes, but I don't have the subaru code book and just a little hand held code reader, and now it doesn't start so I can't get codes back up

North Egremont, Massachusetts, United States
    did you write down the codes? any funny things outside of that knock?

Sure didn't. I was taking to the Subie shop by where it started knocking and it didn't make it, had to get a tow. Now I'm waiting for Monday when they can tell me what happened

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that sucks man, i hope everything works out for your car.
    JOE
    2013 WRX DGM
    Stink Eye Mob #82

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome devil dog.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune. The ECU shouldn't be dead. You can hook up a battery charger, or another battery, then you can at least turn the ignition on and get the codes.

Was there any smoke? If so, what color?

Were you driving hard when it happened? (Wide open throttle within a minute or two of it happening?)

Were there any odd sounds other than the knock?

What kind of mileage does it have?

Can you take some pretty detailed pictures of the engine bay? (I can tell you if it were modified beforehand).

Are you 100% positive it wasn't modified and then put back to stock to sell to you?

The suspects are: Oil starvation, spun bearing, thrown rod (my guess), cracked cylinder or rings (if there were black smoke... also my guess), or a blown turbo (possibly from the pre-turbo catalytic converter sending a shard into the turbo)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Right now I can't take any pictures of the engine bay, due to the fact that it's in a Subie shop right now, with the noise, there was a slight squeak, before hand (about ten minutes earlier) I had down shifted to 4th on the highway and jumped on it. There wasn't any smoke coming from it. And 92,000 some odd miles. I think 92400. Not 100% sure but about 99% due to the fact that it had all the warranty work done on it previously and been taken into the dealership for service all the way up to about 500 miles before I bought it. Thank you for the advice

99% sure on it had not been modded other than the intake and exhaust. The exhaust was literally brand new when I bought it. I broke the exhaust in myself and heard it break in and get louder over a little time

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're at 93000miles on a completely stock engine.... I'd guess oil starvation and spun bearings. There shouldn't be enough power stock to throw a rod, but that's not a guarantee! And if you weren't blowing smoke... then you most likely didn't blow a ring, or crack a piston or cylinder wall. There isn't any way to be able to figure that out if the car is at the shop now. The good news though... if it is just spun bearings... then your heads should be fine. That's the expensive part of the engine. But it also depends on where the oil starvation was (if that was even the case).

From my best guess, at bare minimum you're looking at a rotating assembly and bearings. Prepare yourself for a small block though. I'm just hoping you don't need a turbo or long block.

If you had a bunch of time, you could send an oil sample out and see the metal contents of the oil. That'd help you diagnose for pretty cheap. But either way the engine will have to be cracked open and inspected.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I have a warranty from the dealer... So I'm just hoping it gets covered. I have a bumper to bumper so it should

I Support ClubWRX
    Good stuff man! glad to hear that.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast