Hey 2015 WRX questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Hey 2015 WRX questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm selling my 330ci BMW here in the next 3 months and ive been test driving/researching WRX/STI's for ...

Hey 2015 WRX questions

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 330ci BMW here in the next 3 months and ive been test driving/researching WRX/STI's for the past month, I have a few questions for the more experienced members. So I have around 28-29K to spend on a WRX/STI, so i'm really on the wall about the WRX or STI and the 2015 model. This will be a daily driver car too and from work and up to ski during the winter and camping during the summer, I plan on keeping the car for 6 years or more and kids would be in the picture in the next 2-3 years. Now I have been looking at a few sti's and the common thing I see is a 2008-2010 STI would fit my 29k and the average mileage is around 60k range however what really has me a little worried is what fails on this kind of car... Being a "Sports car" I would assume people who buy them are hard on the car, from my research it would appear that all Subaru's have a head gasket issue around 150k. However in the STI area alot of the issues in the SOA repair area are transmission issues, how often is this an issue? Would you recommend buying a used STI over a new WRX? If you say STI what should you look for, some say blow off valves are a recipe for disaster others say COB ports are a great way to blow an engine. I really like how zippy the STI is and the ability to swap the power around is cool but I really don't know how often that would be used, other things people say is the STI is rock solid I.E going over any small bumps in the road is not very fun... Any insight would be great, thanks for your help.

(Pro/Con)

*2015 WRX:
    Pro
    - Warranty
    - Push Start/Key-less entry
    - Led lights
    - Better MPG
    - 0 Miles
    Con
    - Resale value not being an STI
    - Cant modify the car without voiding Warranty
    - Bad Nav system
    - Missing the Wing
    - Missing Sports Mode

*2010 STI:
    Pro
    - 50 more Hp
    - Better resell
    - Installing after market nav systems and items.
    Con
    - 60k+ Miles
    - No Warranty
    - Used Goods
    - unknown damage done to the car
    - possibility of ending up thousands of dollars in the hole after repairs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    BOV is pointless.

You may want to wait a year on the 2015.

I didn't wait, because no 2015 hatch. So I bought a 2014 hatch. If you really are going to drive hard a LOT and I mean a LOT, STI is the way. If DD, standard driving with some bursts, then WRX.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    BOV is pointless.

You may want to wait a year on the 2015.

I didn't wait, because no 2015 hatch. So I bought a 2014 hatch. If you really are going to drive hard a LOT and I mean a LOT, STI is the way. If DD, standard driving with some bursts, then WRX.
    I've been reading it makes the car run very rich.

Yeah i'm really not a hatch back fan so thats not an issue for me, however your saying to wait to 2015? Why is this?

Yeah its going to be a DD we dont even have a race track out here in Idaho so it will never be raced so it sounds like the wrx will be the way to go, Ive only had a chance to test drive STI's do they have the same the feel in acceleration?

I Support ClubWRX
    I always recommend buying new over used when you can on these cars. As you have eluded to, it is hard to know what has/hasn't been done to a used vehicle. The WRX/STi can be finicky and if not treated properly can incur damage easily (that might not be readily obvious). It really boils down to what you really want with STi vs WRX. Based on your intro, I am going to assume you won't be tracking the car or racing all over the place at the car's maximum performance. The new WRX has caused quite a bit of excitement with its 2.0 engine, twin scroll turbo, stiffened suspension, and 6speed transmission. This new WRX will close the gap between the difference of a WRX and STi more than ever before. That being said, they are brand new, and no-one knows if there will be bugs, but that is why they give a warranty.

If you do go used, make sure you get an unmodified car with a clear/documented maintenance history, and get a very knowledgeable subaru mechanic to take a good look over it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I never buy the first year model or first year of a new generation.

In 2014 sure they feel different. In 2015, don't know. That's really a personal choice just like the hatch. Frankly I rarely explore past 1/2 throttle - 5K RPM's in my WRX. Yet still I would like an STI, so I agree tough decision!

Hey,

Thanks for the reply well I guess that answers my question, sounds like I will go with a new 2015 WRX just to be safe... I would like a reliable car for once...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    I always recommend buying new over used when you can on these cars. As you have eluded to, it is hard to know what has/hasn't been done to a used vehicle. The WRX/STi can be finicky and if not treated properly can incur damage easily (that might not be readily obvious). It really boils down to what you really want with STi vs WRX. Based on your intro, I am going to assume you won't be tracking the car or racing all over the place at the car's maximum performance. The new WRX has caused quite a bit of excitement with its 2.0 engine, twin scroll turbo, stiffened suspension, and 6speed transmission. This new WRX will close the gap between the difference of a WRX and STi more than ever before. That being said, they are brand new, and no-one knows if there will be bugs, but that is why they give a warranty.

If you do go used, make sure you get an unmodified car with a clear/documented maintenance history, and get a very knowledgeable subaru mechanic to take a good look over it.

There's a 2011 STI one owner with 32k miles for 28000 here in Florida, come get it!
    I'm pretty sure you said you didn't care for hatches, but the 2008-2010 STIs are hatches only..
    Get the 2015. Superior to the previous WRX, except for 0-60 and no wide body.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 386WRX; 03-06-2014 at 06:44 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    2015 WRX. /story.

Newer car, you can break it in properly, the 2015 WRX will be a better DD than a 2010 STI (which at that point will be a 5 year old car), resale of WRXs is exceptional (seriously go look on auto trader, you'll be surprised), and yea it might be the first model year and there could be flaws, but the 2010 is a riskier option as you don't know how the car has been treated no matter how much they tell you.

In all honesty, it's not a fair comparison. The 2015 is a completely different car. If it was my decision, this wouldn't even be a discussion. 2015.

Also, you can ABSOLUTELY modify the car and not void the warranty. No mod will ever void a warranty. Your claim can be denied if you mod an engine part and your engine blows. If you mod a suspension part and your engine blows, they could replace the engine for you. It's all about how you mod and where you mod. Common misconception.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah the WRX would be my choice. The 2015 WRX should outperform the 2010 STi in nearly every way.

Also, 2 year old WRX that were purchased for $26k are still selling for $22-23k.

Sure the STi has higher resale, but it also costs more from the get-go. % of original sale price should be similar.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

If you are not going to track the car much, or at all, the 2015 WRX would be the way to go, especially for a daily driver. Better MPG's, better interior, and if by most accounts the 2015 has more useable torque down low and will feel just as fast, if not faster, as a daily driver vs the STI.

You also have a new car that has a full warranty. I do agree with the above though, in that the 2015 will be a brand new model year and there will most likely be some bugs as they go. Meaning you may be taking your car to the dealer a little more on average. But it seems the pros will outweigh the cons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking at the parameters you are working with, I agree that the 2015 wrx sounds like just the ticket for you.

Coming from and being used to the BMW there will be some things that will bug you I'm sure... The wrx generally falls a little short on some of the little things compared to some competition especially like BMW ...but they are awfully strong on fun factor and smiles per hour.

Good luck. Test one out and let us know.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    If you are not going to track the car much, or at all, the 2015 WRX would be the way to go, especially for a daily driver.
    This is key.

The 2015 STi will outperform the 2015 WRX on the track. If you are considering tracking the car, the LSDs and brakes on the WRX STi will be mandatory.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Hey,

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who jumped in and gave me a hand, it really helps getting an inside perspective on this type of car. The big seller in the Wrx/Sti switch from my bmw was the fact I wanted a snow worthy car for ski season, I also wanted a car that would last; at 141k im doing head gaskets on my bmw.... The big thing for me driving the few STI I drove was the acceleration.... It was down right scary! It made my BMW look like a ford pinto... So being the WRX and STI are about the same in that aspect and the fact we dont have any tracks here in idaho and not wanting to break a DD, I can say going with an WRX would be a good idea. I've been working with my local bank and we plan on putting in an order august so that should give me some time to read up on first person review and hopefully get a 2015 WRX in some showroom I can test drive... When I was talking about mods the real one im eyeing is swapping out the NAV unit for an Android 4.0 based model, everything im reading says the nav systems are complete crap on the stock cars.. So from what ShiftingLines says installing a new nav system should not void the warrant if the engine explodes just my electrical system could be questioned later correct?

Again thanks for all your help
    Cody

I Support ClubWRX
    If the navigation unit is installed properly you shouldn't run into any warranty issues. The new navigation unit will obviously not be under warranty by subaru, but other than that you should be just fine. Good luck with the purchase and I'm glad we could help you make your decision!

I Support ClubWRX
    The exact reason I got everything in my Limited WRX - EXCEPT the NAV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast