Hello All

This is a discussion on Hello All within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everyone, My name is Scott and I am a new Subaru WRX owner. Picking up my 2013 WRX tonight, ...

Hello All

Hi everyone,

My name is Scott and I am a new Subaru WRX owner. Picking up my 2013 WRX tonight, bought it used for a really great price. Where I am a newbie when it comes to these cars I'm not new to the car modding world at all. Here is a pic of the new car:

Pretty basic, just a dark grey metallic stock 2013 with no mods except for mud flaps (I don't count that as a mod really lol).

My other car is a 1997 Camaro that has a ton of mods but has a broken rod currently and I'm rebuilding the motor. Just needed something more reliable as a DD and I love the WRX, so when I finally found a used one at a killer price I had to snatch it up.

The Camaro:

I do race in autox with the Camaro (when its running) and I may do a run or two with the WRX just to see how it does. Really looking forward to having some AWD fun in the new car!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome from NJ

Nice DGM hatch. We are twins. Great color and great choice.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Nice, welcome! I, too, come from the muscle world. Had a 2001 Camaro loved her and got a kennel bell terminator kill the month before I sold her.
    However, I never thought I'd own a jap car, but I'm so glad I do. I love the AWD turbo, so fast, and the power is 100% usable at all times.
    In fact, got my first kill in my first race last night, a bolt on 2008 GT. .
    Congrats! You'll love the wrx

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

That's because 4.6 GT's are slow as I'll get out. lol.

The Camaro is actually a little 3.8 V6. Used to be turbo'd running 13lbs of boost, that motor had an oil line cut and ended up spinning. Rebuilt it into just a H/C car, then woke up one day and decided I needed to be FI again so I modified a supercharger from a Grand Prix and wound up with this:

Ran a blower cam, ported heads, and 10lbs of boost. Lit the tires up at 20mph rolls. lol. I was running straight water for an autox race, it got down to 20* one night and froze the block and warped the head. Finally hydrolocked and snapped a rod in 2 when I went to start it one day. Now it just sits waiting to either be sold or rebuilt. lol

Quote Originally Posted by skimphish View Post
    That's because 4.6 GT's are slow as I'll get out. lol.

The Camaro is actually a little 3.8 V6. Used to be turbo'd running 13lbs of boost, that motor had an oil line cut and ended up spinning. Rebuilt it into just a H/C car, then woke up one day and decided I needed to be FI again so I modified a supercharger from a Grand Prix and wound up with this:

Ran a blower cam, ported heads, and 10lbs of boost. Lit the tires up at 20mph rolls. lol. I was running straight water for an autox race, it got down to 20* one night and froze the block and warped the head. Finally hydrolocked and snapped a rod in 2 when I went to start it one day. Now it just sits waiting to either be sold or rebuilt. lol
    Interesting! So you basically have a GTP engine in there that you made yourself. Pretty cool!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

For all intensive purposes, yes.

Its actually a N/A bottom end (L26) with the S/C (L67) top end. Ported heads, blower cam, 3.4" pulley, 3200 stall, 3.42 posi rear end, and full suspension. I cut up the supercharger and rewelded the casing how I wanted it so it wouldn't go through the firewall. A lot of time and work into that setup, but I actually just sold the top end and will be rebuilding it as a n/a setup.

Its actually a N/A bottom end (L26) with the S/C (L67) top end. Ported heads, blower cam, 3.4" pulley, 3200 stall, 3.42 posi rear end, and full suspension. I cut up the supercharger and rewelded the casing how I wanted it so it wouldn't go through the firewall. A lot of time and work into that setup, but I actually just sold the top end and will be rebuilding it as a n/a setup.
    Sticking with the 3800? What are you hoping to do?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The L26s love boost.

Used to have the L27 in my old 3800 Regal.

Wish I had used the L67 s/c on that lol
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    *cringe*
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    *cringe*
    That's intense.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Yep, sticking with the 3800. Its going to be an odd ball of an engine. If I decide to keep it it will be the L26 bottom end, L67 heads (fuel injectors in the heads), and then a homemade upper intake on top of the L67 lower intake. The cam may stay stock for now just to get it running, then go to a nitrous cam. I bought a L26 thinking I was just going to swap the blower over, decided I could make a bit of change on selling most of the setup. So I'm making the new L26 out of parts that I just had left over after I sold some of the stuff off. The money from the s/c setup is paying for the sales tax on the WRX. lol

And excuse the "intensive purposes", swype's auto correct does not like "intents and purposes." lol

welcome! although my old 84 berlinetta was never for the race, i do love the supercharged 3.8 almost as much as my old 68 350 4 bolt n/a. had it for 17 years and sold for wrx.

couldnt not have a chevy v8 at the house tho. so now we have this too lol

have you ever considered swapping the 3.8 for a FI 4.3l out of a pickup(half ton or s-10) if you can build the intake that blower should be able to pull the same 10psi with a few adjustments, and then you could source race parts for 350's, just in 6s lol not 8. me and my friends did a build on a buick regal like that, but he also wanted to race with the modded t-typed and GNX v6 crowd at the drags too.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    welcome! although my old 84 berlinetta was never for the race, i do love the supercharged 3.8 almost as much as my old 68 350 4 bolt n/a. had it for 17 years and sold for wrx.

couldnt not have a chevy v8 at the house tho. so now we have this too lol

have you ever considered swapping the 3.8 for a FI 4.3l out of a pickup(half ton or s-10) if you can build the intake that blower should be able to pull the same 10psi with a few adjustments, and then you could source race parts for 350's, just in 6s lol not 8. me and my friends did a build on a buick regal like that, but he also wanted to race with the modded t-typed and GNX v6 crowd at the drags too.
    In all honesty I'm just not a 4.3 guy. Never got into them and liked what I've done. I've built quite a few 3.8s and I love them, but it's probably because it's what I'm most comfortable with. Lol

I just picked up my WRX tonight. Love it. Even found out the single option on it is a STI short throw shifter/knob. The guy threw in a set of roof racks and even gave me $200 for the service due at 10,500 miles.

I kinda got a steal on it. USAA valued it at $29k (when I called for insurance), guy had bought it new for $28500 out the door new. I bought it for $23,500. Has maintenance records and is in immaculate condition.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk