Subaru WRX affordability?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX affordability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I have been thinking about getting a 2014 Subaru WRX hatchback when I graduate college, hopefully by next year ...

Subaru WRX affordability?

Hello,
    I have been thinking about getting a 2014 Subaru WRX hatchback when I graduate college, hopefully by next year at the most! I want to buy the 2014 hatchback limited version since the new 2015 that is soon to be released will only be available in a sedan version.
    My question is how affordable is the WRX really for a college student like me who makes less than $11 an hour/about $300 a month. I ask this because I know that the WRX has a combined fuel economy of 21 mpg (20 in my New York driving conditions) and only takes the more expensive Premium Gasoline. I know that my parents cars who have a combined mpg of 23 get pretty decent gas mileage so I'm using that as a benchmark. Also I'm only really looking in terms of fuel economy because insurance and monthly financing will be covered by my parents.
    If possible, I'd like to hear from anyone around my age group (a high school/college/grad student) who owns a WRX and would like to give their most honest, unbiased opinion on how affordable a car like the WRX is and if it seems like a gas guzzler or a fairly balanced vehicle in terms of fuel economy (granted that everyone does drive differently).
    Also how are the seats because I've heard many complain about how uncomfortable they are due to a lack of lumbar support and because of the fact that there is no adjustable headrest. In addition, is the stereo system really as bad as they say and if so can you recommend a good aftermarket replacement stereo?

Thanks a lot guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alright, I'll bite. I'm a (just finishing) grad student. I purchased a used 2005 wrx about half way through my graduate studies. I've been watching closely how much my car costs to run and I do not think that fuel is a big issue. I spend about $250/month to drive about 1200 miles. The cost of premium is not that much greater than regular gas. It seems quite generous of your parents to finance a new car for you.
    David - '05 WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, it's not. It really depends on your situation. If you're living at home, with no other expenses, sure you can swing it since that's what your money is going towards. My gas bill per month is around $300. That's with 30 miles of driving every day at least. Usually more once work is done.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    Alright, I'll bite. I'm a (just finishing) grad student. I purchased a used 2005 wrx about half way through my graduate studies. I've been watching closely how much my car costs to run and I do not think that fuel is a big issue. I spend about $250/month to drive about 1200 miles. The cost of premium is not that much greater than regular gas. It seems quite generous of your parents to finance a new car for you.
    Thanks for responding! Wow you drive a lot, and yeah it is nice of them!

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Honestly, it's not. It really depends on your situation. If you're living at home, with no other expenses, sure you can swing it since that's what your money is going towards. My gas bill per month is around $300. That's with 30 miles of driving every day at least. Usually more once work is done.

Oh okay I see. Yeah I think I will only be driving about 10 miles/day so I should be alright

Gas wise im about 200-300 a month on gas, and the stereo is pretty terrible just go to an audio shop and play with all of the features and pick what you like. Since you're only paying for gas I think you'll be ok you lucky b***ard. Btw im at "stage 2" averaging 23-24mpg mostly highway

Grab a VIN somewhere online and have your parents check what it would cost to insure the car with you as the primary driver. Other than that, you should be able to afford gas on that budget.
    '14 SWP STI

It depends on how much money you want to put down and how much youre going to borrow from the bank If youre not going to put atleast 10000$ down I wouldnt expect to see a monthly payment sub 300$ my current payment with $5000 was $398 per month I opted for the extended warranty and other features and my payment is now at $464 a month I drive to school and then to work every day and back. Its a lot of money to spend on a car every month and thats not counting gas. Its about 60$ to fill up at around $4 a gallon. If you think you can pull it off and wont regret it, do it. The thing you need to remember is that its going to be a payment you make every month for the next X Years.

Seats are ok haven't driven for longer than 2 hours consecutively but they seemed great and I love them on my 15 minute commute to work and school.
    Radio, Im no audiophile so I don't have much complaints I love the fact that as soon as I get in the car my phone connects through bluetooth and starts playing music right away. I never really have the music very loud so its hard to really complain about the quality.
    Last edited by xRisk; 03-04-2014 at 10:46 AM.

If your parents are flipping the bill, get something with more reliability, better build quality, and better gas mileage. Get the Subaru when you've established yourself and you don't have to ask questions like this. You should be worrying about making more than $11/hour after college, instead of worrying about which car your parents are going to buy you.
    Last edited by ProZach626; 03-04-2014 at 10:32 AM.

get a new focus, cheap, reliabale, great fuel economy, you can get a hatch, and it will be half the price of a subaru, more reliable ( Should be ), cheaper to insure, and its still a brand new car. That was my first car, was an 07 SES manual and had 80k miles of problem free driving, but your call. You only make mistakes once so might as well go with a big mistake like getting a WRX and breaking the bank right?

I'm 22, still in college, (one year left! !!!), have a family with a stay at home mom and an 18 month old, I make 4.91/hr and managed to buy a 2011 wrx premium, which saved me 11 grand. I spend 15$ in gas every 3 days, 93 oct at 3.90/gal. I get 18.0 mpg mostly city driving, but I'm pretty spirited. And stage 1 TP tune. I can afford it no problem, but I work 30 to 40 hours a week.
    If u only make 300 a month, get a focus ST, better gas mileage and still fun to drive.
    WRX is the best car I've ever had, but I wouldn't spend every day worrying if I can afford it or not, nothing is worth that.
    I can't imagine what I'd do if my parents paid my payment and insurance. Good luck!

Edit: the seats are awesome! I love them, they hug me perfectly. The sound system blows, but when your are synced through Bluetooth, it improves by 100%.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Obeisance View Post
    I disagree. Fuel costs between running regular vs premium becomes fairly large when considered over the course of ownership. It really comes down to how much you drive, and if you're an average driver of the 15,000 miles per year (which increases almost every year btw) the fuel cost is a huge difference.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    I disagree. Fuel costs between running regular vs premium becomes fairly large when considered over the course of ownership. It really comes down to how much you drive, and if you're an average driver of the 15,000 miles per year (which increases almost every year btw) the fuel cost is a huge difference.
    For ****s and giggles I used your yearly mileage, assuming you romped on the car and only got 200 miles per tank of fuel.

15,000 / 200 tank = 75 fillups (tank capacity at 17 gallons)
    Regular Fuel @ $3.25 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,143.75
    Premium Fuel @ $3.55 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,526.25
    Difference = $382.50

I know the fuel prices change throughout the year (and will go up) but if that much of a difference breaks the bank, you need to get out of a WRX/STI and into a smart car.
    '14 SWP STI

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    That sounds reasonable.

In my ~35000 miles of ownership (2.3 years), I've used ~1323 gallons of gas. My spreadsheet does not enable me to easily know how much I've spent upon fuel though (it would be a pain to pick out my other costs). Premium is usually $0.20-0.30 more per gallon, so I must have spent an extra $265-397. Somehow, this is only an extra $0.008-0.01 per mile assuming the 20-30 cent increase is correct.

I plan to own the car (fingers crossed) to 300 kmiles (Powder is an idol) so I should expect to spend a fair amount more on fuel over this time.
    David - '05 WRX

I bought a brand new STI about 4 months after I graduated college...and I could afford it just fine while I was living in my parents house. I was paying $407 a month for car payment and $180 a month for insurance. I was driving 50+ miles a day. Fast forward a year and a half and I moved out into Philly. Insurance shot up to about $300 a month and I could no longer afford the car...This was all while making $40,000 a year salary.

If you are only making $300 a month...don't bother. Wait until you are set in the workforce with a steady job and steady income. Don't make every dollar you bring in be about the car you drive or your life will become rather pathetic pretty quickly.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast