Subaru WRX affordability? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX affordability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Costa23 Okay so considering that most of you guys are discouraging me about getting a new 2014 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    Okay so considering that most of you guys are discouraging me about getting a new 2014 WRX considering my financial, living and college situation how would you guys feel about a 2014 Subaru legacy 2.5i sport/limited or a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart AWD (which I've heard has a hell of a lot of turbo lag. please dont rip me a new one for suggesting this, just using it as a reference due to its similarities with the WRX) or a Ford Fusion Titanium? Pretty much has to AWD and leather options. Thanks
    Why do you have to have a brand new car? Why not find something certified pre-owned? You'll save a large chunk of money and won't be under when the time comes for you to get a WRX that you want.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Edit': false pricing info. My bad. Still not a good idea.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    however I do have a question about insurance. Is there some sort of extra fee (i.e. gas guzzler tax) for owning a WRX?
    I don't know; it's all Greek to me. See what I did there? But seriously, I have no idea what Greek laws are on fuel taxes.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Umm...no. It's not a Viper.

It is however, a car that all sorts of youngins destroy, driving up insurance rates.
    I know, I just used it as an example because I don't know of any other taxes that can be applied to a car. And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Why do you have to have a brand new car? Why not find something certified pre-owned? You'll save a large chunk of money and won't be under when the time comes for you to get a WRX that you want.
    I don't really want a new car. In fact I'd prefer a used one but my dad insists that a new financed vehicle would be the best bet. Can't argue with that logic

Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    I don't know; it's all Greek to me. See what I did there? But seriously, I have no idea what Greek laws are on fuel taxes.
    Lmao I'm actually in NY. Greece is just my homeland. Born and raised in Queens brotha

I don't really want a new car. In fact I'd prefer a used one but my dad insists that a new financed vehicle would be the best bet. Can't argue with that logic
    Sure buying new is great you get the warranty and everything! However pull up a budget template on google drive or excel type everything you pay in and look at what you have left over after your car, now look at the average loan length of say 6 year at 6%. Lets say your car is 28k and you put 5k down, so total finance would be around $381.18 a month. So already you’re out of budget, so im guessing your parents are buying you the car? If that is the case look at mpg wrx is around 19 mpg ouch... Buddy this is your first car do you really want to pay premium gas on a car that gets 19 mpg? My E46 bmw gets around 19 too and I pay around $300 a month in gas getting to and from work. Now plug all your data into your spread sheet and see how much you have left over, now think it your going to drive the same car for 3+ years... What is going to happen between now and then are you going to move out? Are you going to change jobs? How much do you think you will make in the next year? $20 an hour? If so I would wait, I make around $55,000 and its still kind of tight. My big thing I have floating in the back of my head is what would happen if my girlfriend got pregnant; I again have a sheet simulating that life changing event and it would be tight but an option with a WRX. Just look at your life and plan for the worst but hope for the best; what happens if you can’t get a high paying job for another 2 years and your stuck around that $11-15 are you still going to be happy with your car over a house? Just think about the long run, you can still get a brand new car for around 20k and with 5k down you’re only out 15k and then in a year so around $240 a month; if you have more income later you can trade into a new 2016 wrx or sti. Just something to think about im 21 and in your same boat I understand how cool having a WRX would be just think a head just a little bit and plan.. Also look at insurance think I got a quote on a 2015 STI for about $170.

Google Templates: http://www.google.com/google-d-s/templates_finance.html

Attached below is how I have mine set up, this might help give you an idea of what things might cost. Again keep in mind this is a 3 bed room house so the heating bill for an apt would be smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	138553

So now gas on a break down... 2015 WRX (Starts 25k) vs 2015 Mazda2 (Starts 17k)
    WRX = Premium gas = $3.25 , MPG 21/28
    Mazda = Gas = 3.05 , MPG 29/35
    Saying you drive 55% City and 45% Highway
    At 15,000 miles a year
    And you plan on owning the car for 5 years....

Cost of Fuel Year = WRX = $9667
    Cost of Fuel Year = Mazda = $7757

So with the Mazda you save ~$1910 in gas in 5 years. Plus ~$8,000 on the cost of the car and say $30 in insurance. So in summary you can save up $10,060 in 5 years that can be applied to a 2020 WRX.... At this point you might need to factor in Jet Car fuel at $10.23 a gallon...

Again this is not something I would do.... 5 year is a long time in my eyes but its just something to think about...
    Last edited by rajien2; 03-07-2014 at 12:40 AM.

I think half of those that posted on here need to read the entire thread.... Costa23 seems to have very generous parents and are paying for everything except gas.

Costa23:
    I do have a question about what your parents are actually paying for. Are they paying for your entertainment, service, tires, etc? I would say you should find something that is much better on fuel because it sounds like you will be on the bottom end of fuel economy. The other side of it is you will be parking it on a college campus? It most likely won't be a nice looking car when you are done if you are.

One is the title in your name? Are you a cosigner? If so anything that happens to your parents or if they get mad and stop paying you default... Two after you college you cant stay on your parents insurance unless they own the car and its under their name, again this a grey area and a lot of insurance companies frown if someones driving your car over X miles a month... Unless your living at home for the life of the loan...

Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post
    I think half of those that posted on here need to read the entire thread.... Costa23 seems to have very generous parents and are paying for everything except gas.

Costa23:
    I do have a question about what your parents are actually paying for. Are they paying for your entertainment, service, tires, etc? I would say you should find something that is much better on fuel because it sounds like you will be on the bottom end of fuel economy. The other side of it is you will be parking it on a college campus? It most likely won't be a nice looking car when you are done if you are.

Quote Originally Posted by rajien2 View Post
    Sure buying new is great you get the warranty and everything! However pull up a budget template on google drive or excel type everything you pay in and look at what you have left over after your car, now look at the average loan length of say 6 year at 6%. Lets say your car is 28k and you put 5k down, so total finance would be around $381.18 a month. So already you’re out of budget, so im guessing your parents are buying you the car? If that is the case look at mpg wrx is around 19 mpg ouch... Buddy this is your first car do you really want to pay premium gas on a car that gets 19 mpg? My E46 bmw gets around 19 too and I pay around $300 a month in gas getting to and from work. Now plug all your data into your spread sheet and see how much you have left over, now think it your going to drive the same car for 3+ years... What is going to happen between now and then are you going to move out? Are you going to change jobs? How much do you think you will make in the next year? $20 an hour? If so I would wait, I make around $55,000 and its still kind of tight. My big thing I have floating in the back of my head is what would happen if my girlfriend got pregnant; I again have a sheet simulating that life changing event and it would be tight but an option with a WRX. Just look at your life and plan for the worst but hope for the best; what happens if you can’t get a high paying job for another 2 years and your stuck around that $11-15 are you still going to be happy with your car over a house? Just think about the long run, you can still get a brand new car for around 20k and with 5k down you’re only out 15k and then in a year so around $240 a month; if you have more income later you can trade into a new 2016 wrx or sti. Just something to think about im 21 and in your same boat I understand how cool having a WRX would be just think a head just a little bit and plan.. Also look at insurance think I got a quote on a 2015 STI for about $170.

Google Templates: Google Docs

Attached below is how I have mine set up, this might help give you an idea of what things might cost. Again keep in mind this is a 3 bed room house so the heating bill for an apt would be smaller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	138553

At 15,000 miles a year

Cost of Fuel Year = WRX = $9667
    Cost of Fuel Year = Mazda = $7757

So with the Mazda you save ~$1910 in gas in 5 years. Plus ~$8,000 on the cost of the car and say $30 in insurance. So in summary you can save up $10,060 in 5 years that can be applied to a 2020 WRX.... At this point you might need to factor in Jet Car fuel at $10.23 a gallon...

Again this is not something I would do.... 5 year is a long time in my eyes but its just something to think about...
    Wow, this is super helpful and eye opening. You sir are a gem, thank you for taking the time to post this. I think I'll go with a Legacy or Ford Fusion instead. THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by 13WRXlimited View Post

Costa23:
    You're right. I think a Legacy is more appropriate or a Ford Fusion

Wow, this is super helpful and eye opening. You sir are a gem, thank you for taking the time to post this. I think I'll go with a Legacy or Ford Fusion instead. THANKS!
    Not a problem I hope it helps, I've done a bit research i'm happy to share. Good luck with your new car, post LOTS of pictures of it

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
    Sorry guys slight modification to my gas break down here... This might be confusing..

At 15,000 miles a year

Cost of Fuel Five Years = WRX = $9667
    Cost of Fuel Five Years = Mazda = $7757

Last edited by rajien2; 03-08-2014 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajien2 View Post
    Not a problem I hope it helps, I've done a bit research i'm happy to share. Good luck with your new car, post LOTS of pictures of it

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________
    Sorry guys slight modification to my gas break down here... This might be confusing..

At 15,000 miles a year

Cost of Fuel Five Years = WRX = $9667
    Cost of Fuel Five Years = Mazda = $7757

Will do!

If my parents were paying and I only had to pay for gas for 10 miles a day, I'd definitely get the wrx. I bought a 2012 limited elantra for the same reasons you are thinking of a Ford fusion and it was alright, but boring. I gave it to my girlfriend and bought my wrx. Save yourself the step of buying a car you will get tired of quickly and go with the wrx!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar
    Hes going with ford.. Dont remember where you said you lived but I looked at the Ford ST while shopping and it gets a lot better MBG than the WRX and will be more fun to drive than the other ford your looking at. The one ford dealer told me the sticker was 30k or something up there. With rebates took me to 22k.. And that was for the top model ST... Had all the bells and whistles.
    RIP Paul. You will be missed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123