Subaru WRX affordability? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45

This is a discussion on Subaru WRX affordability? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Costa23 Oh okay I see. Yeah I think I will only be driving about 10 miles/day so ...

  1. #16
    The Maestro WRXcritter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    146
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    Oh okay I see. Yeah I think I will only be driving about 10 miles/day so I should be alright
    well this is a nice thought, but totally unrealistic. You're going to buy a wrx because you are a petrol-head who likes to drive for the sake of driving, and you're going to want to drive it lots and lots. and then there's day trips on days off work, etc. Think hard about how much you're actually going to drive besides to work and back. That having been said, if your parents are willing to pay the cost of the car and the insurance, and they won't go bankrupt doing it, then get the wrx. If you were paying for it all yourself, there's no way.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Registered User Stunna02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    114
    yeah at 300 a month getting a 2014 may not be such a smart idea. I had to hold off from buying a wrx until my financial situation stabilized after college. My 2013 wrx runs about 429 a month, not including insurance/gas/tabs/ etc.

    I'd follow the life advice from Mikie:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't make every dollar you bring in be about the car you drive or your life will become rather pathetic pretty quickly.
    true words

  4. #18
    Registered User Stunna02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    114
    Plus the jump from a crappy honda into the wrx when i could afford it made it that much sweeter. No one can take that satisfaction from you, no matter how badly you might mod your car (in other people's opinions)

  5. #19
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Don't make every dollar you bring in be about the car you drive or your life will become rather pathetic pretty quickly.
    Assuming that you're buying a WRX and are an enthusiast, yes. However, there is a large group of people who are not enthusiast who might be considering these for DD duty. The fact is, there are cars more befitting that duty than a WRX. And for some people it does come down to the money. Just my .02. I don't care about fuel costs. I had two vehicles at once that took premium and were getting roughtly 13mpg.

    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    For ****s and giggles I used your yearly mileage, assuming you romped on the car and only got 200 miles per tank of fuel.

    15,000 / 200 tank = 75 fillups (tank capacity at 17 gallons)
    Regular Fuel @ $3.25 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,143.75
    Premium Fuel @ $3.55 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,526.25
    Difference = $382.50

    I know the fuel prices change throughout the year (and will go up) but if that much of a difference breaks the bank, you need to get out of a WRX/STI and into a smart car.
    Well considering you compared a WRX that uses premium to a WRX that uses regular, your logic is faulty. Imagine if I bought an older Civic that gets 40+ mpg? What would the fuel savings be then? I hope you're not a lawyer.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    For ****s and giggles I used your yearly mileage, assuming you romped on the car and only got 200 miles per tank of fuel.

    15,000 / 200 tank = 75 fillups (tank capacity at 17 gallons)
    Regular Fuel @ $3.25 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,143.75
    Premium Fuel @ $3.55 per gallon (local in NJ) - Yearly Fuel Cost $4,526.25
    Difference = $382.50


    I know the fuel prices change throughout the year (and will go up) but if that much of a difference breaks the bank, you need to get out of a WRX/STI and into a smart car.

    Um.. I haven't read through all the posts yet to see if this has been addressed lol. But this is completely wrong. I see your intentions though! If he had a car such as a civic or something that got much better MPG then a wrx then it would make a difference between filling them up with regular, and filling up a rex with premium.

  7. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Portland, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    79
    haha whoops ^ my point stands

  8. #22
    Registered User AFP520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Well considering you compared a WRX that uses premium to a WRX that uses regular, your logic is faulty. Imagine if I bought an older Civic that gets 40+ mpg? What would the fuel savings be then? I hope you're not a lawyer.
    To be fair here, you didn't mention the use of another car that gets better fuel economy. You said "Fuel costs between running regular vs premium becomes fairly large when considered over the course of ownership" and I was in this mindset when I gave my example. A friend of mine has a S60 that can run 87 but for best performance should run 93. So is my logic still faulty or did I not have enough info to go off of?
    '14 SWP STI

  9. #23
    Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Davey Jones Locker
    Posts
    8,516
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    To be fair here, you didn't mention the use of another car that gets better fuel economy. You said "Fuel costs between running regular vs premium becomes fairly large when considered over the course of ownership" and I was in this mindset when I gave my example. A friend of mine has a S60 that can run 87 but for best performance should run 93. So is my logic still faulty or did I not have enough info to go off of?
    Well the discussion is the affordability of the WRX vs other cars. And considering the WRX doesn't run regular it could easily be assumed I was not talking about a WRX. Nor does it suggest in the owners manual that it's even ok to run regular at any time unless it's an emergency. Even then it tells you not to push the car hard. An S60 =/= WRX. Your logic is still flawed.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS


    Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

    Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

  10. #24
    Registered User AFP520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Your logic is still flawed.
    OKAYYYYYYY
    '14 SWP STI

  11. #25
    Registered User Docc99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    111
    Graduate college and hold a job that will allow you to maintain your monthly bills with the WRX. It's easy to budget for a car when you have no other expenses but that's not realistic for most people. As someone mentioned all ready, don't make your whole life revolve around this car. The honeymoon period will end and you may question whether it was worth it.

  12. #26
    Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Erlanger Kentucky
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    Oh okay I see. Yeah I think I will only be driving about 10 miles/day so I should be alright

    I drive about three minutes to work and of course I drive on the weekends. I usually have to fill up about once every 9-10 days. I do get on it a little bit but not much due it being new and not broke in yet. Ive yet to take it over 5k rpm's. With that being said I'm sure it'll get worse MPG once I get into the turbo more often. My opinion if your living at home and having mommy and daddy take care of things for you then heck yea go buy one. But if you ever intend on getting out of your parents house one day and getting a life of your own then I would suggest keeping the car you have and when your out and on your feet making more than 300 a month go get a new Subi.. Dont break yourself on a car payment. never know when the folks will get tired of ya lol or the girls you try to bring home find it odd you still live in your parents basement!
    RIP Paul. You will be missed

  13. #27
    Registered User Costa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXcritter View Post
    well this is a nice thought, but totally unrealistic. You're going to buy a wrx because you are a petrol-head who likes to drive for the sake of driving, and you're going to want to drive it lots and lots. and then there's day trips on days off work, etc. Think hard about how much you're actually going to drive besides to work and back. That having been said, if your parents are willing to pay the cost of the car and the insurance, and they won't go bankrupt doing it, then get the wrx. If you were paying for it all yourself, there's no way.
    Well I really only drive to school, work, the gym and occasionally out of town about 3-4 miles (about 6-8 miles total) there and back. I want the convenience of a hatchback, the reliability of AWD and the sound of beast performance parts (exhaust, turbo etc.) Seeing as how pretty much everything but gas is going to be covered I think it's alright however I do have a question about insurance. Is there some sort of extra fee (i.e. gas guzzler tax) for owning a WRX?
    Last edited by Costa23; 03-06-2014 at 01:08 PM.

  14. #28
    Registered User Costa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin3391 View Post
    I drive about three minutes to work and of course I drive on the weekends. I usually have to fill up about once every 9-10 days. I do get on it a little bit but not much due it being new and not broke in yet. Ive yet to take it over 5k rpm's. With that being said I'm sure it'll get worse MPG once I get into the turbo more often. My opinion if your living at home and having mommy and daddy take care of things for you then heck yea go buy one. But if you ever intend on getting out of your parents house one day and getting a life of your own then I would suggest keeping the car you have and when your out and on your feet making more than 300 a month go get a new Subi.. Dont break yourself on a car payment. never know when the folks will get tired of ya lol or the girls you try to bring home find it odd you still live in your parents basement!
    Lmao okay

  15. #29
    Registered User Costa23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Queens, New York
    Posts
    16
    Okay so considering that most of you guys are discouraging me about getting a new 2014 WRX considering my financial, living and college situation how would you guys feel about a 2014 Subaru legacy 2.5i sport/limited or a 2014 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart AWD (which I've heard has a hell of a lot of turbo lag. please dont rip me a new one for suggesting this, just using it as a reference due to its similarities with the WRX) or a Ford Fusion Titanium? Pretty much has to AWD and leather options. Thanks
    Last edited by Costa23; 03-06-2014 at 01:11 PM.

  16. #30
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa23 View Post
    Is there some sort of extra fee (i.e. gas guzzler tax) for owning a WRX?
    Umm...no. It's not a Viper.

    It is however, a car that all sorts of youngins destroy, driving up insurance rates.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •