Need car buying help, has this car been roughed on?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Need car buying help, has this car been roughed on? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm looking at a 2007 WRX with 115k miles and somethings have me curious so I though I ...

Need car buying help, has this car been roughed on?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 2007 WRX with 115k miles and somethings have me curious so I though I would run it by you guys. Need to make a decision soon, all help is appreciated!
    Heres the ad:
    2007 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX -ONE OWNER- NICEST ONE ON CRAIGSLIST

Looked at car, handled great, no noises or abnormalities detected, and exterior in good shape. Engine and clutch felt great. The transmission has had a brand new pressure plate and clutch put in at 115k miles. Back left door has some small waves in it. New front bumper, old bumper just had a tear in it, no frame or radiator mount damage, but it does have aftermarket radiator.

Mechanic inspection reported the following:
    Small Valve cover leak
    Left Axle boot is torn
    Turbo looked fine (I asked him to check shaft for play, but not sure if he actually did it)
    Everything else looks fine, clean plugs, but he wouldn't do a compression test even tho I asked. He said car automatically checks pressure and other bs

Our current settling price is 12.5K because these cars are difficult to find but my concerns are:
    Brand new clutch parts done at 110k miles (is this young in cars life to have this work done? Was it ragged on?)
    Valve cover leak. Is this another sign of normal wear and tear or heavy driving habits?
    Front Bumper and radiator have been replace at different times, which could indicate an accident not listed on CarFax. Mounts and frame look good though.
    Engine has been detailed, so it looks immaculate. Sometimes this can be a sign of covering something up.
    Is this a fair price for this car?

Please advise as soon as possible, all feedback welcome!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've never bought a used Subaru, however I can't imagine buying any used turbocharged vehicle without a compression test.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Seems like a lot to ask for a 115k mile car. The mechanic refused to do compression test, and you notice a valve cover leak? Run away. Fast. Right now.

The mechanic is a moron if he thinks a compression test isn't important.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

MTM
    too much imo

It seems to be a consensus that I'm paying too much. I've heard both sides of the valve cover being a bad indicator. But considering the whole bay was thoroughly cleaned, its best to assume its been leaking for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalka View Post
    It seems to be a consensus that I'm paying too much. I've heard both sides of the valve cover being a bad indicator. But considering the whole bay was thoroughly cleaned, its best to assume its been leaking for a while.
    Definitely. Often a really clean engine bay on an older used car is actually a bad sign. Unless you're buying Sasquatch's car.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Mechanic said it automatically checks compression? Dafuq is he talking about?

Valve cover leaks are iffy...that's why you need a compression test done. Things could happen...valve cover gaskets have gone out before and a replacement is fine. But do you want to gamble on that? Could be a couple grand worth of a fix.

Timing belt service intervals for all Subarus are 105k miles...that's not an indication for beating on it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

It's also a TR, keep in mind it has less options. Manual HVAC, mirror covers are not painted on the TR. It also doesnt have side skirts. The pedals are also different they a rubber, unlike the metal ones in the WRX. The seats are from a regular impreza, has adjustable head rest. The inside door handles are black also , not chrome like the wrx/sti. Even the head unit is weaker then the wrx's, <-- yes thats possible.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

I Support ClubWRX
    The stock radiators in the GD cars are prone to cracking with age, so at 115k miles, I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion it was damaged in an accident, although you can't rule that out of course. Mishimoto is a popular aftermarket replacement for cracked radiators.

That said, everything else about the car screams run away.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

My girlfriend just bought her completely stock 06 WRX TR WRB with 77K on it for $14,990 tax and title OTD. If that helps at all.
    ++ + ++P3LLA++ + ++

06 STi ( Stage II ) BOOSTED
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE # 808

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My WRX has never been in a collision but has an aftermarket radiator. Like Rambo mentioned, the stock radiators are prone to failure.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

That's good to know about the radiator. I was worried because the front bumper was replaced as well.

However, I'm leaning towards backing out because of a few small things concerning me... along with some negative feedback I've gotten from co-workers and the forum. The price info helps. Right now we're right at $13k tax title and license. I made the offer thinking it was mint, but clearly it needs a couple things and there's little chance he'll drop the price significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Valve cover leaks are iffy...that's why you need a compression test done. Things could happen...valve cover gaskets have gone out before and a replacement is fine. But do you want to gamble on that? Could be a couple grand worth of a fix.
    What could cost a couple of grand to fix that is indicated by a leaky valve cover? I asked the mechanic if this could represent a deeper problem and he said no.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalka View Post
    What could cost a couple of grand to fix that is indicated by a leaky valve cover? I asked the mechanic if this could represent a deeper problem and he said no.
    The cost to replace the valve cover gaskets...it's pretty labor intensive considering the shape of our engines. Albeit a couple grand may be a bit high of an estimate, but I'm willing to bet it won't be cheap...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

This is the situtation i was in when buying my subie although, at first it seems like a miracle find, but as youve seen from the forums **** can go to hell if you dont know the car inside and out, so IMO id say be patient your about to drop quite a bit of cash so might as well get a subaru without those imperfections, anyway i'd advice you to do a compression test at all costs, an engine thats messed up leaves you messed up. wish you the best of luck with the purchase,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast