My first Subaru!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My first Subaru! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; wow, where to start. This is my first Subaru, not to mention WRX. Couldn't afford the STI but am still ...

Thumbs up My first Subaru!

wow, where to start. This is my first Subaru, not to mention WRX. Couldn't afford the STI but am still thrilled with the 2014 WRX. I mean, just.. wow. I have always liked these but finally it came time for a new car and got one. I checked out some of the WRXs and found a blue one someone had pre-ordered with extras on it that was accidentally made and shipped twice to the dealer. The extras they added on were the SPT exhaust, STI Shifter, boost gauge, upgraded rearview mirror, rubber mats, and side skirts.
    I really want to do all kinds of things to it but I'm not really sure where to turn. I like the look of the slammed stanced cars but, as cool as it looks, it would seem to be a huge pain in the ass. I mean im 30 years old with a wife and a 9 month old. I can't tell if I'm to old to still be doing stuff like slamming it to the ground. hahah I know i want to add the extra lips around the front, side, and rear. Drop it at least a little. tint the windows, do some engine dress. I heard that an intake will do more to take away power with the exhaust than add to it. Does not sound logical, but then again i didn't run the test. So for engine upgrades, i don't know.. ECU tune? I figured i would take it to a shop and let them give me options, but again thats why I'm here. So I'm not bent over when i get to the shop lol

anyways, i joined the forum to get ideas and see others sweet ass rides. I want to see if i can find that line thats on badass but still classy. Any and all help and recommendations are appreciated!

THanks!

Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum! Put some Rally Armor mudflaps on it to not only protect the sides from rocks, but to also give it a more aggressive look.

Look into the Cobb Accessport as a start if you're looking for an ECU tune.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome. Lot to learn. Don't rush into modding.

This should get you started somewhat. But there's also many great stickies around on this forum too. Just read up, we have things for almost anything you want to know. And if you have specific questions we can answer them.
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

Welcome! Slammed and Stanced is a life style.. where you scrap the ground a lot and have to carry boards around with you so you can get onto driveways. But in all seriousness, you're never too old.

Whoever told you an intake would decrease performance, don't listen to them anymore. As long as you TUNE for the intake you get, it won't decrease performance. You HAVE to TUNE for anything you do to these cars. or else boom goes the engine.

I don't know how far away plano texas is from you but there is a cobb shop there.

Thanks guys for the replies! The thing about the intake and exhaust lowering the power is from car and driver .com here is the link

Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX – Feature – Car and Driver

thanks for the link and i definitely want to get the mud flaps. I would love to take this car to the new rally track here in Austin (err south, actually by sanmarcos) but she is my DD and brand new. lol

There is a tune shop with a dyno i know of close by called Stout performance i want to go by. Nice place and seems legit. Good to know, if that article is BS i'll probably do that first but a dyno would let me know if it is true or not. Hopefully i won't be out the cost on the intake if it is true. What do you make of what it says?

you know what, after reading it again it does say you have to program the ecu to get them to work in tandem, which would need to be done anyways.

I would recommend driving the car for while to see what bugs you the most. Then start modding first based on what you find are your primary complaints/issues with the car.

For some it could be the radio. For others the handling. For yet others they want more power first.

Words of wisdom thill. I too have a brand new '14 with spt boost gauge/spt shifter/Sti ergo shift knob. After driving the car I'm more than satisfied with the power the one thing I want is stronger springs, feels too bouncy, I know a soft suspension setup is more for rally/bumpy roads, but It feels idk too loose

When i begain modding my 04 wagon i basically did all suspension work, oddly enough for joy of driving the stock power has always been enough for me so i agree see what bugs you before you start sinking money. But most of all enjoy

very true. my only complaint would be wheel gap and power. Don't get me wrong it has a great deal more than my previous cars but there is always room for more.thanks thill

any tips on aftermarket sound system?? dont need subs.. thinking about just upgrading the garbage head unit and amp.. also how easy is it to get the steering wheel controls integrated with say an apline HU.

WRX newb..

There's a trick to make your stock system sound better. YouTube smurfin wrx audio trick, it's not much but it's better than the original preset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

word thanks troise found this to be most beneficial.. through mode seems it improves the most..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnYFs6OpGGs

Welcome and congrats on the purchase!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Yea bro it works I good, I was skeptical but you actually can hear a significant difference just make sure you set it to through mode than loud on, it's a cool lil hack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast