Questions about my new WRX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Questions about my new WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off thanks for having me! i just bought my WRX and I absolutely love it, even though i am ...

Goose Creek, South Carolina, United States

Questions about my new WRX?

First off thanks for having me! i just bought my WRX and I absolutely love it, even though i am still driving it in the "break-in" period. My question is as far as items to do to my car what are some good starting items, and i don't mean mods. I have heard that items like the Rally Armor Mud Flaps are something you want to do so that you aren't giving your car a bath every few days. I know i want to change out the sounds system but i was thinking about just adding the kicker from the dealership and do a whole system change out later on. What are your guys thoughts and feelings as owners for some time now. Money is really not an issue but again I don't want to mod it yet so I'm looking for those kind of things. I was also wondering about dynamiting the car and was also wondering people experience with that as well. Please also include if you have any other recommendations.
    Last edited by Garverbk; 03-02-2014 at 07:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A lot of ppl have really good luck with just changing out their head unit to make the sound system better. I know when I added mine it was a huge difference.

The mud flaps do add some function along with looks. I suggest getting the urethane ones and not the regular plastic ones that are like 50 bucks (or something like that). I have the cheaper ones and they do bend over time, urethane ones are suppose to hold their shape much better and I wish I had gotten the instead.

Oh and welcome to the site!

Well i was wondering does the HU help to pick up the bass tones better, that really what feels the most lacking, and thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Garverbk View Post
    First off thanks for having me! i just bought my WRX and I absolutely love it, even though i am still driving it in the "break-in" period. My question is as far as items to do to my car what are some good starting items, and i don't mean mods. I have heard that items like the Rally Armor Mud Flaps are something you want to do so that you aren't giving your car a bath every few days. I know i want to change out the sounds system but i was thinking about just adding the kicker from the dealership and do a whole system change out later on. What are your guys thoughts and feelings as owners for some time now. Money is really not an issue but again I don't want to mod it yet so I'm looking for those kind of things. I was also wondering about dynamiting the car and was also wondering people experience with that as well. Please also include if you have any other recommendations.
    Concur with Rally Armor flaps...get the UR version, not the cheap plastic ones. Totally worth the money. BTW, Install does not take 20 minutes...more like 60-90 minutes for a first timer.

Regarding the head unit: If you don't like the fact that the radio is underpowered, suggest you just wait and upgrade the head unit (and possibly add an amplifier). The Kicker is a waste of money. That money should go towards a new head unit. Keep in mind that if you choose to go with a new head unit, you'll need Axxess ASWC steering wheel control interface to keep steering wheel control functionality.

One item I would strongly consider: Replace the factory shifter bushings ASAP. They may feel tight initially, but you'll soon find that shifting will feel vague and rubbery over time. This may occur in as little as 300 miles. The problem lies in the fact that their bushings are made of a very soft rubber. That rubber starts breaking down immediately. Upgrading them to a Kartboy Urethane shifter bushings for the front and rear will make a world of difference....it will make the shifter feel notchy and precise.

Another item you might want to consider: clear bra. The paint on these cars is not the best and is chip prone. You'll notice that the Subaru applied clear bra patches on the rear fenders. Some guys here will apply the clear bra over the hood area, front fenders and bumpers. The bumper will be the priciest of the three areas for application. Shop around for the best price. Do not do the install yourself...unless you're experienced at this type of install.

One other change you can make without affecting warranty is the axleback/catback. Axlebacks and catbacks do not require a tune. But if noise and tone are what you want, this is a change worth pursuing. The stock catback is too quiet (it suppresses the boxer rumble). The SPT catback is overpriced for what they offer. There are other options available (Nameless and Invidia to name a few).

Hope this helps! And welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Concur with Rally Armor flaps...get the UR version, not the cheap plastic ones. Totally worth the money. BTW, Install does not take 20 minutes...more like 60-90 minutes for a first timer.

Regarding the head unit: If you don't like the fact that the radio is underpowered, suggest you just wait and upgrade the head unit (and possibly add an amplifier). The Kicker is a waste of money. That money should go towards a new head unit. Keep in mind that if you choose to go with a new head unit, you'll need Axxess ASWC steering wheel control interface to keep steering wheel control functionality.

One item I would strongly consider: Replace the factory shifter bushings ASAP. They may feel tight initially, but you'll soon find that shifting will feel vague and rubbery over time. This may occur in as little as 300 miles. The problem lies in the fact that their bushings are made of a very soft rubber. That rubber starts breaking down immediately. Upgrading them to a Kartboy Urethane shifter bushings for the front and rear will make a world of difference....it will make the shifter feel notchy and precise.

Another item you might want to consider: clear bra. The paint on these cars is not the best and is chip prone. You'll notice that the Subaru applied clear bra patches on the rear fenders. Some guys here will apply the clear bra over the hood area, front fenders and bumpers. The bumper will be the priciest of the three areas for application. Shop around for the best price. Do not do the install yourself...unless you're experienced at this type of install.

One other change you can make without affecting warranty is the axleback/catback. Axlebacks and catbacks do not require a tune. But if noise and tone are what you want, this is a change worth pursuing. The stock catback is too quiet (it suppresses the boxer rumble). The SPT catback is overpriced for what they offer. There are other options available (Nameless and Invidia to name a few).

Hope this helps! And welcome aboard!
    Wow that exactly what I was looking for information like that. I'm not experienced in any installations, but with my new baby i want to learn and become much better. The mud flaps will be the first thing to add and i had never heard of the clear bra so ill have to look into that more but thank you for the information!

Wow that exactly what I was looking for information like that. I'm not experienced in any installations, but with my new baby i want to learn and become much better. The mud flaps will be the first thing to add and i had never heard of the clear bra so ill have to look into that more but thank you for the information!
    BTW, If you know how to swing a wrench, you can do the installation of any of those items I identified. There are also countless number of videos on youtube that show how to do the installs. I'm no grease monkey, but I can swing a wrench. But I also know my limits...and know when it's time to get a real wrench to do a job.

The clear bra is a clear paint protective film that's installed on critical areas of your car that are prone to chip damage. Personally, I just had the clear bra installed on the front part of the hood up to the intercooler scoop, the front fenders, and side mirrors. I chose not to do the bumper as it's plastic. If it dings, it won't rust. You'll generally find tint installers will also do clear bra installs. Definitely shop around as costs vary.

Yeah i actually already started shopping around and i can like you says swing a wrench but i just have such a low level of knowledge of cars so i ordered the bushings and my buddy who has modded his impreza quite a bit is gonna help me install, of course it is gonna cost me a six pack but hey whats a six pack and good times between friends right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah i actually already started shopping around and i can like you says swing a wrench but i just have such a low level of knowledge of cars so i ordered the bushings and my buddy who has modded his impreza quite a bit is gonna help me install, of course it is gonna cost me a six pack but hey whats a six pack and good times between friends right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Exactly! This is an excellent way to learn more about how to work on your car. And yeah, a six pack is about the going rate for help on a car.

Some words of advice: When installing the shifter bushings, I would disconnect the O2 sensor and remove the heat shield so it's out of the way (it will come out). Removing the heat shield will facilitate installation of the shifter bushings. Also, when installing the rear bushings, the easiest way to install the bolts is to start threading one side a little, then start threading the other one a little. If you don't do it this way, you will crossthread one of the bolts. Patience pays off during this portion of the install.

yeah i was watching some how to videos so i had some idea of what i was doing. I was looking though what are the advantages of a short shifter, to me i like the height of the normal shifter and i feel like if im just daily driving the short shift is not goiong to really matter but this is my first so what is your take on that?

I Support ClubWRX
    I will +1 the head unit comments. Made a huge difference. I did go ahead and do the whole system but i did the HU first and went about 3 months with just that. Sound was improved. Welcome, and enjoy the car! Also, if you didn't get the armrest extention, I'd suggest that. It made a big difference in comfort for me. The stock one was too low to be useful for me.
    2013 Subaru WRX named BlueRex
    2003 Jeep Rubicon, special zombie apocalypse edition

I was actually thinking about the hand rest but are there aftermarket ones cheaper or just go with the one from Subaru?

I Support ClubWRX
    I was actually thinking about the hand rest but are there aftermarket ones cheaper or just go with the one from Subaru?
    Are you asking about the shift knob? If so, check out lathewerks...everyone loves them. I bought a Perrin one, but I wish I had got lathewerks...

Or are you talking about the arm rest? JPM Coachworks makes a nice one that you can choose the material and stitch color...

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Are you asking about the shift knob? If so, check out lathewerks...everyone loves them. I bought a Perrin one, but I wish I had got lathewerks...

Or are you talking about the arm rest? JPM Coachworks makes a nice one that you can choose the material and stitch color...
    I was actually talking about both, but mostly the arm rest. I still don't understand the point of a short shifter can someone explain this to me what really is the point? I mean i could understand if you were racing but as far as everyday use and the few times you need to smoke someone on the street is the short shifter necessary and why do people like it? I also was wondering if i am going to replace my bushings is there anything else i should try to do right away while I'm doing these?

I would go with the spt short shifter, I have it on my 14 and love it I also have the Sti ergo shift knob which is awesome and matches the interior. The short shifter is just a better feel, it's quick and notchy, there are no benefits to them just a preference or feel. They really do nothing so its entirely preference. My base model had it already installed on it, but I drove another new wrx and the shifter felt good, and it was light years better than the EVO x gsr 5-speed. Idk why ppl complain about the Subaru 5-speed

The low arm rest is good IMO, that way you don't rest your arm on the shift knob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast