New guy here

This is a discussion on New guy here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2003 WRX sedan, drove 4 hours just to pick it ...

New guy here

Hey guys. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a 2003 WRX sedan, drove 4 hours just to pick it up. The mileage was a bit high for me at 168k, but after the dude gave me the receipt showing he replaced the clutch and transmission 3 months ago I felt good enough to throw down $7500. After a solid test drive of course.

It has a drop exhaust I plan on removing because it's a bit too "ricey" for me, and a tune from Boost Incorporated. But I digress, have some pictures.

Coming from El Paso, where good cars go to die, I was shocked that it was actually clean, much less well maintained and almost stock. A few dings and scratches but no deal breakers, and considering I want to plati-dip it white at some point in the near future pretty negligible overall.

But I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts on it
    Last edited by Bowloq; 03-01-2014 at 02:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Looks fine in the pics. Can't really tell you what I think until I see the engine bay and the inside.

Seems like you might have a good find; it being stock with receipts and all.

Looks like the calipers are painted. I'd liked to see an engine bay picture!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I'll definitely put up an engine bay picture later today! It's hard to know 100% of what has been done to it, because the guy I bought it from got it in a storage unit auction.

Sorry about the delay, a bit too caught up with life, working and loving the Rex every time my boss has me make a delivery! Don't worry, I do plan on removing the BOV

My mechanic also did a leakdown/compression, I'm having a hard time reading his handwriting on the stat sheet but it looks something like

1/174
    2/164
    3/174
    4/175

5%

He said the stats were good enough to be a potentially rebuilt engine, but I'm not too sure of his word considering he's not a full time Subaru guy, just a dude my family has trusted for a long time. Thoughts?

It's got a BOV meh. From the looks of mods the previous owner probably replaced the catted up pipe but I would check just to be 100% certain. Also I would replace the timing belt whether the previous owner claimed to have replaced it. Coming up on 200k you'll need to do your belt again other than that it's a nice bugeye the price seems a bit high but I digress.. Anyways welcome to the forum.

Is that intercooler just really dirty it looks bigger than the stock one? I cant really tell tho, the intake I would replace with a cobb intake and I would ditch that BOV. Can you get pictures of the turbo area?

Snapped some more pictures while charging my A/C. Turns out there's a leak somewhere. Bummer considering I live in the desert but eh **** happens.

Can anyone make sense of my C/Ld test stats? Are they good numbers?

No one?

Post this in the troubleshooting section, you will get help there maybe. No one sees your problem, and I have no idea

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

*cant view pics at work* but welcome fellow bugeye owner!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

In addition to the BOV you've got an aftermarket intake and exhaust. You said it's tuned? Check with that shop, maybe they'll know some history on the motor.

175ish is higher compression than stock, which is around 150/160, but as it's modified and tuned I believe that's not unexpected. Weird you have that oddball cylinder at 164, and it's a bit outside of the 5% range. (I think, I don't do math. Ever.)
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    -5% would be 165.6163333333333

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    In addition to the BOV you've got an aftermarket intake and exhaust. You said it's tuned? Check with that shop, maybe they'll know some history on the motor.

175ish is higher compression than stock, which is around 150/160, but as it's modified and tuned I believe that's not unexpected. Weird you have that oddball cylinder at 164, and it's a bit outside of the 5% range. (I think, I don't do math. Ever.)
    I checked with the shop, Boost Incorporated up in albequrque where I got the car. They didn't have much to tell me since I have no clue who owned the car prior the guy I bought it from, as that guy had bought it in a storage unit sale. So it's a bit of a mystery mobile.