New with My Subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New with My Subaru within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey club members, I'm new to Club WRX and hopping to introduce my Subaru and myself Shes a Hawkeye Wrx, ...

Talking New with My Subaru

Hey club members, I'm new to Club WRX and hopping to introduce my Subaru and myself
    Shes a Hawkeye Wrx, had her for about 3 months so far
    Has about 100,000 on her and hope to put a lot more on
    She Came packed with quite a bit of mods, seems to be running great though besides having quite a bit of spooling noise but from what i heard that supposed to happen, right?
    Hope i made the right choice, with every one saying buying a subaru with mods is bad, would anyone elaborate on that?
    I have done a bit of modding my self on it, nothing major though just caliber, and wheels small stuff like that
    Here is the list of mods that are on it and a couple pics, I would greatly appreciate your input and support, also any ideas on where to go mechanically or appearance wise would be awesome

THANKS

Wheels: 17" stock 2008 impreza wheels, wrapped in 225, 45, 17 Potenza tires

MODS:

1300cc Injectors
    STI intercooler
    Perrin downpipe
    Perrin catback exhaust
    Perrin light weight crank pulley
    3 port grimmspeed boost controller
    spt shortram intake
    Walbro 225 fuel pump
    perrin turbo inlet hose

about to put Exedy Stage one clutch, hope it fits the setup.

guy i bought it from also said it had an STI turbo but i dont know for sure

also i dont know what brand guages are on it, but have color shifting boost, oil temp, and vacuum readings

Runs 330hp to the Crank with 18.5 psi boost on a Stage 11 cobb map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140228_182230.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	137641

Name:	IMG_20140228_181819.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	137649

Name:	IMG_20140228_181458.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	137657

Name:	IMG_20140228_181155.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	137665

Hopping to get a better stance with some eibach springs

Name:	IMG_20140228_181107.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	137673
    Last edited by Dgatman; 03-02-2014 at 08:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome.

That gauge pod is from ebay. Can't tell what the gauges are though. I'm sure there's a name brand labeled on there somewhere.

Appearance wise? Take the tint off the tail lights an paint off the rims

What's Cobb stage 11? I hope the previous owner had a pro-tune done on that with those mods lol...

I Support ClubWRX
    If those are the mods and it is tuned correctly then you are getting more than 330 hp to the crank. The reason why buying modified turbocharged subarus is not recommended is because they are finicky cars and if the mods are not done correctly then damage can be incurred easily. Alot of times people will incur damage and then get the car running just good enough that a new owner won't see signs of said damage and then offload it. Most of the time you have to assume the car wasn't cared for correctly when buying modified because 99.9% of people do not modify their car and then drive it like a grandma. But that being said, you car could perfectly well be fine. If it were me I would bring it in to get it looked over by a subaru knowledgeable mechanic and make sure everything looks up to snuff and also make sure all the maintenance required to date is set. And I would make sure that the tune on it is designed for those modifications, because no off the shelf cobb tune is designed for those. If you are running an OTS cobb tune then get it protuned.

But the car is great looking. I like the black wheels, but I am partial to black...My car is 100% black.

Welcome

Hm....Ill definetly get it looked at ASAP, getting it protuned though inquires a dyno and 100% knowledge of every mod on the car right? If thats so how much would a protune with the mods i currently know on the car run me.

and i meant to put that it was stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgatman View Post
    Hm....Ill definetly get it looked at ASAP, getting it protuned though inquires a dyno and 100% knowledge of every mod on the car right? If thats so how much would a protune with the mods i currently know on the car run me.
    I would run some datalogs on the car. How-To Datalog Using Your AccessPORT (Subaru) » PERRIN Performance Official Blog <---how to do a datalog.

I would combine the items the list for the common problems (i.e - take the items they list for each problem and list them all, as they overlap for boost/knock issues).

Do a datalog from 2K to 6K in third gear and then post the file up on here. There are some experts that can take a look and let you know if there are any major concerns.

A protune on a dyno can be 300-500ish give or take, but well worth the money. It is possible you could do an E-tune over the internet for the mods you have through a service such as Torqued Performance...I personally don't have any experience with them, but they do custom tunes through e-mail using AccessPort and tactrix methods. It is better than an off the shelf stage 2 tune given the mods you have.

Do the logs. Post them here. Get feedback. Go from there (but you need a custom tune either way).

Thanks for the link, ill read over it and try it out.
    So your saying set the data log to record all the parameters they give since most of them over lap?

I would definitely get it pro tuned to be on the safer side. Have them do a complete pre dyno inspection. Make sure everything is properly taken care of on the car as well. I've seen subaru's modded worse then that for sale so you should be fine as long as it was done properly.

Welcome!

Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the link, ill read over it and try it out.
    So your saying set the data log to record all the parameters they give since most of them over lap?
    I would take the three variations of logs they put there and set the items in each. They overlap slightly. Just as a preliminary log it will give you a good set of data. Post up the file after you log it. That won't tell you the car is completely safe, but it will identify obvious issues with the tune. I would assume the tune is not adequate since the car has the mods you mentioned and only a stage 2 cobb ots tune. The car needs to be tuned for the modifications that you mentioned. COBB ots tunes only are good for a turboback exhaust (and an intake (AEM or COBB intake) if the correct tune is selected). Anything past that and they are not adequate.

Before i spend that kinda money, ill try the data logging first to see if anyone can find any issues. If that proves to no avail then ill probably go for a pro tune.
    Im speculation though if i should do the tune before or after installing the Exedy clutch since the stock one is slipping.

Also would you happen to know how to find a trust worth and reputable tuner that wont completely rip me off?

I Support ClubWRX
    Before i spend that kinda money, ill try the data logging first to see if anyone can find any issues. If that proves to no avail then ill probably go for a pro tune.
    Im speculation though if i should do the tune before or after installing the Exedy clutch since the stock one is slipping.

Also would you happen to know how to find a trust worth and reputable tuner that wont completely rip me off?
    Post up a question as to if anyone in your area knows of some good tuners. You could always do a torqued performance e-tune. He does AccessPort tunes. I would love to refer you to WTF tuning, but they only do opensource (tactrix cable and laptop) tunes currently. Do the log. Post it here. If the clutch is slipping it needs to be replaced. I know that Exedy is a good vendor and makes a nice product so if you need a new one then you can't go wrong with them.

Was planning on doing the log over the weekend but snow's gonna delay that, at least i got to have a little bit of fun drifting around.

Anyways, Ive been reading up on the forums and a number of people have gotten a tune from torqued performance and are happy.

But ive also heard a protune does wonders so should i go with the Accessport tunes or the Protune which means i can no longer use my accessport

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    should i go with the Accessport tunes or the Protune which means i can no longer use my accessport
    technically speaking, a "protune" is a custom map designed for the accessport.

an opensource tune is a tune that uses a laptop & tatrix cable. you wouldnt use your AP for that.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

If thats so then can i get them to make it so that i have one tune to get the full potential of the car and another tune thats conservative, and for fuel efficient

So that i can Switch between them as i wish?

I did an accessport data log from 2k to 6k in 3rd gear in a subaru 07 wrx on a stage 2 93 octane map

Please take a look

if anyone could translate it in english to me, lol, that would great.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...1TTVYTFE#gid=0
    Last edited by Dgatman; 03-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.