New '05 WRX owner here.

This is a discussion on New '05 WRX owner here. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I just bought my WRX from a dealer in Lakeland, Fl. WR Blue and super clean. One owner apparently. ...

New '05 WRX owner here.

Hello, I just bought my WRX from a dealer in Lakeland, Fl. WR Blue and super clean. One owner apparently. It looks great, drives great.
    I have come from a history of Mustangs , 17 to be exact. I've always been intrigued by the WRX since the commercial debuted in 2002. I love turbos, and have had one in my sold Grand National and Kawasaki 750 Gpz turbo bike.

I love these WRX's and am glad to be a part of the community.

I am learning things already. Like the difference between bolting on a simple CAI to a stang vs. a Subie with all it's scaling and tubing sizes etc. to work with the ecu. But learning new things is what draws me to my WRX. It's fun to start all over again.

I want to get an intake kit first and will search to find the difference in power for cai's vs short rams vs panel filters.

I also am worried about my up-pipe scattering debris into the turbo, so I want to fix that as well.

Can an intake kit and catless up-pipe be added w/o tuning? Thanx!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the wonderful world of all wheel drive H4s, haha. To answer your question, no. You will need a tune of you are looking at adding those. While you're at it, get yourself an aftermarket downpipe!

Sent from my Nexus 4

Thank you glad to be here! In that case, I'll look at the up-pipe, intake and downpipe as one unit to be installed. Do most members do their own work? I was completely inspired by the "Project car" magazine for the STI upgrades a while back. Things look easy to do, with the right toools of course, lol!

Welcome fellow Floridian! I come from the same backround, but smaller. Manual, rear wheel drive v8s.
    This is a whole different game, ran my GTO and Camaro with intakes and Longtubes with free flowing exhaust with no tune for 30k miles before I sold it
    If I did that to my WRX, itd be done. However, this is the most fun Ive had with my cars thus far.
    Have fun! and yes youll need a tune

Thanks for the welcome 386! I like the precision of the WRX's over the simplicity of American v8's. Turbo intercooled little rockets with great handling. I'm lovin it.

Yes you can do an intake and uppipe without tuning. So long as the intake has similar piping diameter to not affect the MAF (such as an SPT intake or Cobb intake). Uppipe doesn't require a tune at all.

However do some searching...intake won't yield you anything in the way of power gains. It will just make some nice turbo noises. The stock airbox is actually not restrictive until you're getting north of stage 2 mods.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks Mikie..Turbo noises are important, lol. I saw a DSport article for the install of an AEM intake on an '08. Said it dyno'ed at about 20hp. It may have been an Sti if it matters, I don't remember. Your point is well taken, and at over 20,000 posts, it seems like you've got some knowledge of these things, haha.
    I will continue to abuse the search box, thanks.

Welcome, and post some pictures of this beast please
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTOM2010 View Post
    Thanks Mikie..Turbo noises are important, lol. I saw a DSport article for the install of an AEM intake on an '08. Said it dyno'ed at about 20hp. It may have been an Sti if it matters, I don't remember. Your point is well taken, and at over 20,000 posts, it seems like you've got some knowledge of these things, haha.
    I will continue to abuse the search box, thanks.
    Don't let 20k posts fool you

The difference comes between GD and 3rd gen GR chassis...the intake styles were different when they went to 2008 and actually provided more restriction. Going to a CAI or SRI (and a proper tune) actually can net you some minor power gains at Stage 1 or Stage 2 levels, as evidenced by that article you read.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I read your name as "TUR BOTTOM" and it confused me

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome. You seem like an intelligent person. There, I said it.

Haha, thank you. Does the intelligence come from leaving Ford and joining Subaru? lol