2014 wrx mod list ideas/help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2014 wrx mod list ideas/help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; These are the mods I would like to add to the car this spring... Suspension: tein basic coilover kit, kartboy ...

2014 wrx mod list ideas/help

These are the mods I would like to add to the car this spring...

Suspension: tein basic coilover kit, kartboy front and rear endlink set, cobb front and rear sway bar kit.

Interior: SPT SS (factory install), Defi boost gauge, Cobb knob.

Exhaust/ECU: Cobb stage 2 Power package with v3, cobb uppipe. (all gaskets from header down will be replaced with new OEM gaskets)

This is my dream car...I have been wanting a WRX for years and finally got one. Blue 2014 WRX hatch. Factory installed includes: blue foot well leds, spt ss, rubber mats. I want better throttle response/power/torque/handling, but still want it as my daily driver. I want to be fast but practical. I want better suspension without rattling my teeth if I hit a bump. This will be my fun/family car for many years to come. (im not looking to race at all) Is this a good setup for what I want? Did I forget anything? Do I need anything else? Is this to much? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

btw im new to the forum so hello
    Understand what your working with. Then work with what you got.

Sweet. I just installed the Kartboy pitch stop and I definitely think my '12 WRX grabs the road better. I'm also thinking about endlinks and sway bars.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you are building a track car, you might skip the coils and just do good springs/struts...a popular option is RCE black springs and Koni yellows...

Skip the factory SS and go with the kartboy SS (unless the factory SS comes in the car most people go kartboy or COBB), as they are a better quality for less money. Definitely replace the front and rear shifter bushings while you do this. That makes the biggest difference in shifting, the lever just shortens the throw. (EDIT - I see you already have the factory SS...still replace the shifter bushings).

Skip the COBB uppipe, it is a waste at this point as you already have a catless uppipe stock.

For some more info on first mods, go here...

First Modifications - what to do and not to do

Thanks for the replies. I will go look into the shocks/struts and springs. Def. gonna get the bushings for the installed spt as. Delete Cobb uppipe, and do just a little more research.

Welcome. My 2014 came with the SPT SS and overall its not bad however if it did not I would have put the COBB in it. Very similar to what I want to put in mine down the road.

I am goin to definitely get the cobb front and rear shifter bushings for my SPT SS. I am goin with springs and shocks/struts over coils as I will not need them for my use. Ive decided to go with the TurboXS GT catless turboback exhaust, and the Perrin CAI with Cobb V3. cobb knob with rally armor mudflaps as well.

Just a question, what are you going to be doing to need a aftermarket ecu???

[QUOTE=T_Laurich;33413just a question, what are you going to be doing to need a aftermarket ecu???[/QUOTE]

Turboback exhaust/cai dont do a whole lot without the tune. Cobb tune is an excellent way to bring some of that dormant power out. Also good to have as a starting mod so I'm ready to tune with possible future upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Laurich View Post
    Just a question, what are you going to be doing to need a aftermarket ecu???
    Not changing the actual ecu. Just tuning.

Nice; with your setup, your looking about 17psi of boost... That is what my 2012 is running, the turbo that is stock in your wrx (if it is the one in the picture which is newer than 08) That turbo is just as capable as the sti's which can easily run 20+ psi... But the turbo in the wrx has diff mounting position's and, our inter-cooler is smaller. So I suggest getting a aftermarket inter cooler, this will help with boost leak, which is an extremely common problem when your run a stock inter-cooler. With a upgraded inter-cooler you can easily hit 20-23psi.

Just a note: the Cobb stage two package is cool and all, but all you need is a down pipe to run at 17psi and be a stage 2 wrx... I would strongly encourage you to restrict yourself to a V2 access port, it will decrease the cost, and consider if your really need that air intake. A stock heat shield can be cut to fit over your downpipe. And with the exhaust, some companies sell some catless ones, which if you are going to pay for a tune, the tuner can turn off your cat sensor in the back. But until he does your car will decrease the timing by half.

Just giving some options...

How many miles do you have on your car?

Edit: save all your stock parts, Every one of them... If something breaks, unmarry your accessport which will retune you to stock, strap back on stock parts and limp to a subby dealership in warranty...

Second Edit: cobb tunes are not the best, they set it so your car can run with after market parts, like if you get a new pullywheel or intake you tell your access port and it will retune it to those parameters, but do not get the impression a cobb tune is quick, to get the full potential spend about $300 on a professional. I highly recommend an access port, but not the stock tunes on it, if you want to go fast I know on the internet there is a lot of hype about Cobb, but it's mainly just fanboy love in my opinion.
    Last edited by T_Laurich; 02-26-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a lot of research since purchasing the car. I'm planning on taking the car to a shop to get it tuned. Performance shop is about 100 miles away. I want to really open the car up with a full exhaust, and cai. I feel like if I'm gonna do one I might as well do the other, and I'm not goin with either and not tuning the car. So I figure I will just build my own stage 2 with what I can and take the v3 to the shop. Any suggestions on the exhaust/cai.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsybear View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I have been doing a lot of research since purchasing the car. I'm planning on taking the car to a shop to get it tuned. Performance shop is about 100 miles away. I want to really open the car up with a full exhaust, and cai. I feel like if I'm gonna do one I might as well do the other, and I'm not goin with either and not tuning the car. So I figure I will just build my own stage 2 with what I can and take the v3 to the shop. Any suggestions on the exhaust/cai.
    Cat's decrease preformance (but not by much), you can go catless if your tuner disconnects the rear cat sensor... I personally have cat's on mine...

Here is my exhaust Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust Stainless Tips Subaru Sedan WRX / STI 2011-2014 HS11STIG3S at RallySportDirect.com
    here are some video's these would work the same on any 08-14
    SPT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz2x-oreuxA#t=59
    Perin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAP10yIPzu0
    Invida https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLNUV6Ch97c
    Cobb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXudZG5-BYw
    Borla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QonYQEDF33Y

And take this in mind when watching all the video's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4NRHfBKkPY

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.