Am I ready for a WRX?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Am I ready for a WRX? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I've been driving for about a year now and since then I've been able to secure a decent ...

Am I ready for a WRX?

Hey guys, I've been driving for about a year now and since then I've been able to secure a decent job which means I can afford a car that's a bit more enjoyable to drive. I've always liked the look of Subaru's and I hear that the WRX handles amazing as well as the 2015 WRX is impressing me.

I'm just a bit worried about driving a car that's way faster than my current one (09 Sonata lul) Any beginner advice for driving a WRX or stories from your first track car? Also how bad are the insurance premiums that come with upgrading to such a car?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hi!

Lots to think about for you. I'm assuming you are 16/17...

Owning a brand new WRX will be very expensive. You have to think about the purchase of the car, the taxes, registration fees, high octane fuel, maintenance, and insurance. To insure a 16/17 year old on a "sporty" car is not going to be cheap at all. Something you ought to consider at an age you are at. Unless your parents are willing to help you out, it will be a financial burden to you. That is just the financial part of it.

...Also to consider is that this is a very fast car. Are you ready to focus on driving and just driving, without being distracted by your friends doing stupid things in your car and urging you to go faster? Maybe you are, I don't know you, but when I was 16 I certainly wasn't.

My thoughts? Buy a cheap truck...manual transmission. Beat the crap out of it. Be young, have fun, go to school, get a job, then get a brand new sports car.

Either way, good luck, and welcome

^this. Cost of ownership is a lot higher then people realize. The car may be affordable or even cheap depending on your financial situation, but there is a lot more to it then the actually cost of the car.
    Stage 2 2012 OBP Subaru WRX

Haha dear lord I couldn't imagine 16 year old me handling any car, no I'm 21. I'm getting a real job so money isn't that much of an issue. I feel like I've done my dues with this sedan and can handle something faster but I just wanted to hear some of your stories and advices about driving a sports car. Thanks for your advice though! You are right, I definitely should get some manual experience in with a beater cause it would be a total waste to drive an automatic sports car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aytaka View Post
    Haha dear lord I couldn't imagine 16 year old me handling any car, no I'm 21. I'm getting a real job so money isn't that much of an issue. I feel like I've done my dues with this sedan and can handle something faster but I just wanted to hear some of your stories and advices about driving a sports car. Thanks for your advice though! You are right, I definitely should get some manual experience in with a beater cause it would be a total waste to drive an automatic sports car.
    Ha, from the first post you seemed much younger (mostly the driving for a year part!). Either way, still some decent things to think about in my first posting. Don't take offense to my assuming you were 16 haha!

Yeah, I managed to get by without a car for a lot longer than I expected, but I still would never go back to not driving now that I have

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you can afford it and if it's what you want then go for it. If you're in college however (I know you said you were getting a real job, I guess you got your associates degree or went straight to work?), I would reconsider. Or at least go for an older model.

But anyway, insurance will drop in a few years if you continue to be safe and stay out of trouble. Just gotta decide what you can afford and whether or not you want to start out your career with a car payment.

As far as stories, there's not much to tell about the 'sports car'. I have much better stories to tell that all occured in my old beater cars that I had before my WRX.

I'm 22 and just bought a used 2011 wrx last month. I have a wife and daughter, but still in school for 1 more year .
    I've owned a 2001 Camaro SS when I was 17, then a 2006 GTO when I was 20. This car is nothing like those. The power delivery is way different, and its nearly 100% usable at my stg 1.
    I freaking love it, no regrets, Even after spending 600 on maintenance next week. Just taking it as an opportunity to make it better.
    I have had 3 tickets, 22 on my own plan with full coverage. 500 deduct, in Florida, with allstate for 404 every 6 months. Cheaper than my other cars!
    If you can get it, do it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

wow its a good one welcome to that forum.

haka
    Last edited by bessierodriguez; 02-25-2014 at 03:18 AM.

Just something to consider-if you're just starting out in a career, it might be wise to wait a little while to see how steady the job is. When i was 20, i took a small loan for a car because i was making good money, and could afford it. A little over a year later, the company downsized..i got laid-off and here i am.. 21 with no income and a $450 monthly car/insurance payment. I was able to find a job quickly, but making a lot less.
    Also, a good rule of thumb, a car shouldn't cost more than half of your annual income.. You don't want to tie up too much money into something you are going to destroy.
    With that said.. Welcome to the forum, i think a wrx would be a fine choice

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.