Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Get STi

6 13.95%
  • Get WRX and Save money for Mods

37 86.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Don't own a Subaru, convince me I should.... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Brazilnut FIRST of all, gin or vodka? Shaken or stirred? (sorry--had to!) And more importantly, when you ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut View Post
    FIRST of all, gin or vodka? Shaken or stirred? (sorry--had to!)

And more importantly, when you do finally pull the trigger on a WRX/STI, be prepared to make a lot of new friends. A LOT. I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this car... Meets, dinners, fun cruises thru mountains, donuts in dirt lots, snow, etc. And cool Subie peeps there to do it/GoPro it all with you. Subie life = cult life. Brace yourself, Dirty Martini, for you have been warned!
    Vodka, Stirred.. lol (my last name is Martin, that's where the Martini came from years ago)

Sounds good. hopefully this crowd isn't filled with preppy rich kids who get all their money from mommy and daddy like the VW/Audi scene. I have met plenty of good guys over there but way too many entitled turds as well...

Anyone on here from the Western Pa area? I have not seen many WRX/STi's around the Latrobe area.

Cheers to all and thanks for the warm welcome!
    Last edited by DirtyMartini; 02-26-2014 at 06:57 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would say the biggest thing you will be giving up with the GTI (I used to own one):
    - Interior is nicer. By that I mean fit and finish, touch and feel of plastics, and the seats in the non 15 WRX are not as comfortable.
    - Gas mileage. If this matters to you, I would get the WRX vs the STI. Especially if you are looking at the 2015 model that utilized a 2.0 liter engine, direct injection, and a twin scroll turbo.

What you will be gaining:
    - AWD. You still need snow tires, but the AWD makes a big difference and I live in Minnesota where we get tons of ice and have plenty of hills.
    - Reliability. I have not had my WRX long but I have owned 2 VW's and had very bad luck with them. My GTI was much more reliable than my Jetta but once I pased the standard warranty things started breaking and VW labor and parts is much more than a Subaru.
    - I find the WRX a much more fun car to drive. But this is a personal preference.
    - Resale. Subaru's in snow country hold their value very well. As I am sure you see as you look for used models.

I think you really need to ask yourself how serious you will be about the track. The WRX will be a better daily driver, will be cheaper to buy, insure, and put gas in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.