Modding a lease
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Modding a lease within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys I am getting a WRX STI but right now my only option is with a lease, not the ...

Modding a lease

Hey guys I am getting a WRX STI but right now my only option is with a lease, not the only option but is cheaper to do a lease to buy rather than straight finance, being only 22 I am already going to be paying $250 a month for insurance alone with a $2500 deductible, clean diving record but just my age. I'm not wanting to do much to it, probably just intake, intercooler piping, a bov, and tune(cobb tuner kit probably since there are no tuners around here) but I wasn't sure if that would break the lease or not. Not going to up the boost or anything like that just looking to boost the HP to about 350 at the crank so I am putting closer to 300 to the wheels.

I do know this has been discussed before but usually seems that we are talking turbo upgrades etc, I am just curious about these littler things so to speak.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the lease. Just from common sense I would say all of those mods are a big No No. Especially anything that tampers with the CPU... IMO I would say the only mods that are good to do are dealer approved mods. That would be a very limited amount of parts such as a SPT catback exhaust, SPT shorth throw shifter, and a few more. But the problem you are running into is everything you listed requires a tune and again my initial say would be a big no. Especially since you don't technically own the car, you are really just paying to borrow it.

Edit: I forgot to add this in there, but with most of the mods you listed and the tune, you WILL be upping your boost weather you like it or not. It's the nature of tuning the car properly.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I'm not sure about the whole lease thing... I wouldn't do it. And with your mod list, you will be upping the boost. (about 3lbs or so) These cars are not supposed to run BOVs and no off the shelf map will make the necessary changes to do so. If it is a lease I would leave it alone.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

And those mods wont get you the 50hp your looking for...
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

Ok that is kind of what I was thinking, it should make a decent amount of power as it is factory, really don't need anymore, I am leasing to buy so maybe in a few years I will just buy it and throw on the mods.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ballzan View Post
    Ok that is kind of what I was thinking, it should make a decent amount of power as it is factory, really don't need anymore, I am leasing to buy so maybe in a few years I will just buy it and throw on the mods.
    Once it's yours you can do what you want to it. But right now it isn't worth the troubles you could cause. Also, it sounds like you are squeezing a dry rag to get water in order to pay for this thing so maybe something that would cost you extra money at this point is not a good idea. These cars are not completely superior stock but I'll be damned if Subaru didn't spend loads of R&D money to make a shaty sports vehicle off the line... These are great, fast cars stock, and if you treat your baby right and take care of her she will reward you!
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    No. Do not mod a lease. It's not your car.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Once it's yours you can do what you want to it. But right now it isn't worth the troubles you could cause. Also, it sounds like you are squeezing a dry rag to get water in order to pay for this thing so maybe something that would cost you extra money at this point is not a good idea. These cars are not completely superior stock but I'll be damned if Subaru didn't spend loads of R&D money to make a shaty sports vehicle off the line... These are great, fast cars stock, and if you treat your baby right and take care of her she will reward you!
    Well after all my bills I will have a good 600 left if I lease and 400 if I buy so won't be tight on money but would rather have that 600 a month to save incase of emergency.

You wont be disappointed with the car as is!

If you want to mod, you don't lease a "tuner" car.
    Sounds to me that an sti is more car than you can afford if your only option is leasing. a base wrx is a perfect platform if you want to mod.
    It will also take more than an intake + piping + tune to get to your 350hp target. And btw, bov is a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by ballzan View Post
    being only 22 I am already going to be paying $250 a month for insurance alone with a $2500 deductible, clean diving record but just my age.
    I pay the same $250 a month for insurance with $500 deductibles all around, I'm 30. Since nobody else said it, I will. You can't afford this car yet. In the event there is an accident, anything under $2500 is all on you to fix every time. Let that sink in for a minute. I cringe when I see $1,000 deductibles because not a lot of people have that kind of money hanging around in case there is a car accident.

Buy something older that you can afford to have fun with and doesn't financially strap you.
    '14 SWP STI

Seems to be a big misconception out there about 'leasing'. If you are leasing with the intention of buying the car at the residual value at the end of the leasing term, then you are free to mod the car but it can and probably will void your warranty if you do engine mods.

When you lease, you are a co-owner of the car. The dealer owns 50% and you own the other 50%. I wouldn't mod the car for the life of the lease based on warranty, and the fact that you may want to hand it back instead of buying it at the 15k ish value at the end of the lease.

However, I don't think the dealer is going to come to your house and take your car away because you modded it. It just will likely void your warranty. Just read your contract, if it doesn't say anything negative about it, then you are good. Do more research though if you intend to mod because clearly there are some mods that you want to do that are not a good idea.

Yeah that insurance is crazy high.. if you can't afford it without struggling then I would advise against it. I went with the WRX over the EVO that I was looking at because the insurance on the EVO was about $120 a month more and although I could probably afford it, I didn't want to cash strap myself in the process.
    Last edited by BooSTin2014; 02-18-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BooSTin2014 View Post
    When you lease, you are a co-owner of the car. The dealer owns 50% and you own the other 50%.
    I will admit I'm not a financial guru, but I don't think that's true. Even when you finance, you don't own the car. You own it when you get the title in the mail.
    '14 SWP STI

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    My inclination would be....NO!

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    I will admit I'm not a financial guru, but I don't think that's true. Even when you finance, you don't own the car. You own it when you get the title in the mail.
    When you finance, you're getting a loan from the bank and the bank technically owns the car. When you lease, you aren't going through a bank. The car is half yours for the 2-4 year term as long as you continue to make the payments, at which point you can purchase the car at it's residual value.

You have 3 options at the end of the lease.
    1. Hand the keys back to the Dealership
    2. Purchase the car at the residual value.
    3. Sell the car & keep the difference between sale price and residual value. (Residual Value goes to dealer)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast