Modding a lease - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

This is a discussion on Modding a lease within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by scannon If you mod the leased car, keep the original parts and put them back on the ...

  1. #31
    Resident Jackass ShiftingLanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Posts
    653
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scannon View Post
    If you mod the leased car, keep the original parts and put them back on the car before you turn it in. You run the risk of voiding the warranty if you take it to a dealer for repair and they notice and care enough to void it.
    NOTE TO ALL ON THIS THREAD: you will not "void" a warranty if you mod a car, leased or financed or bought outright. It's a common misconception that if you mod a car, you automatically void a warranty. If you mod, for example, the suspension and there is an engine problem, the company more than likely might honor the warranty because the problem is in a completely separate part of the car. Another example, if the car has a short throw shifter and the clutch goes, the company could end up honoring the warranty because the clutch could have been faulty, even though you modified a portion of the full-transmission (i.e. shifter through clutch and everything inbetween). IF, however, you mod the turbo and you blow your engine, the company will most likely DENY a claim on that particular engine or for any engine rebuild you may have to do. Placing a bigger turbo and blowing your engine does not mean you void your warranty. That warranty is STILL VALID on all other parts of the car. That warranty clam will ultimately be denied as that was user error and it was the clear cause of the engine to let go.

    Just an FYI.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    582
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    NOTE TO ALL ON THIS THREAD: you will not "void" a warranty if you mod a car, leased or financed or bought outright. It's a common misconception that if you mod a car, you automatically void a warranty. If you mod, for example, the suspension and there is an engine problem, the company more than likely might honor the warranty because the problem is in a completely separate part of the car. Another example, if the car has a short throw shifter and the clutch goes, the company could end up honoring the warranty because the clutch could have been faulty, even though you modified a portion of the full-transmission (i.e. shifter through clutch and everything inbetween). IF, however, you mod the turbo and you blow your engine, the company will most likely DENY a claim on that particular engine or for any engine rebuild you may have to do. Placing a bigger turbo and blowing your engine does not mean you void your warranty. That warranty is STILL VALID on all other parts of the car. That warranty clam will ultimately be denied as that was user error and it was the clear cause of the engine to let go.

    Just an FYI.
    learn up everyone, "voiding warranties" is a poorly used term.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Livin the Stock Life
    Build Thread
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

  4. #33
    Registered User BooSTin2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    NOTE TO ALL ON THIS THREAD: you will not "void" a warranty if you mod a car, leased or financed or bought outright. It's a common misconception that if you mod a car, you automatically void a warranty. If you mod, for example, the suspension and there is an engine problem, the company more than likely might honor the warranty because the problem is in a completely separate part of the car. Another example, if the car has a short throw shifter and the clutch goes, the company could end up honoring the warranty because the clutch could have been faulty, even though you modified a portion of the full-transmission (i.e. shifter through clutch and everything inbetween).
    Yep & this is backed by Subaru actually having an option to add a short throw shifter and various other parts when you use their 'Build your Own' feature online.

  5. #34
    Registered User JaySin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    NOTE TO ALL ON THIS THREAD: you will not "void" a warranty if you mod a car, leased or financed or bought outright. It's a common misconception that if you mod a car, you automatically void a warranty. If you mod, for example, the suspension and there is an engine problem, the company more than likely might honor the warranty because the problem is in a completely separate part of the car. Another example, if the car has a short throw shifter and the clutch goes, the company could end up honoring the warranty because the clutch could have been faulty, even though you modified a portion of the full-transmission (i.e. shifter through clutch and everything inbetween). IF, however, you mod the turbo and you blow your engine, the company will most likely DENY a claim on that particular engine or for any engine rebuild you may have to do. Placing a bigger turbo and blowing your engine does not mean you void your warranty. That warranty is STILL VALID on all other parts of the car. That warranty clam will ultimately be denied as that was user error and it was the clear cause of the engine to let go.

    Just an FYI.
    I agree because of past experience. Also, be sure to call SOA BEFORE talking to the dealer and have them discuss options with the dealer themselves. I had things fixed/replaced out of warranty by doing this.

  6. #35
    Resident Jackass ShiftingLanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Posts
    653
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BooSTin2014 View Post
    Yep & this is backed by Subaru actually having an option to add a short throw shifter and various other parts when you use their 'Build your Own' feature online.

    Although I disagree on the bigger turbo point. If you put on a bigger turbo and you blow your engine as a result of probably anything other than Subaru doing an oil change for you and not putting your oil drain bolt back on properly, you can kiss your warranty goodbye IMO.
    Well there are aftermarket STS that are on lots of cars as well, Kartboy being a popular one for these cars. The SPT STS from Subaru would be fully covered, but if you have the KB and your shifter breaks, that more than likely won't be covered. The KB STS wouldn't be detrimental to a clutch going early.

    I'm rambling, but the moral of this story is, voiding won't happen with a mod. Denial will if the problem is because of that mod. Just be aware of this point no matter what you do.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

  7. #36
    Registered User AFP520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by BooSTin2014 View Post
    Leasing is not for everyone though & most would rather just buy. My general manager who makes over 100k a year leases car after car & it's not like he can't afford to just walk in the dealership and finance just about any vehicle that he wants. lol
    It's not always about money in that aspect. Many owners of companies lease their cars under the company name because it is an expense that can be written off. Fuel too.
    '14 SWP STI

  8. #37
    Registered User BooSTin2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    It's not always about money in that aspect. Many owners of companies lease their cars under the company name because it is an expense that can be written off. Fuel too.
    Perhaps. He's not the owner but the general manager.. It could be a write off but I think that he just likes cruising in a new vehicle every few years - still not money related tho in his case.

  9. #38
    Registered User ElusiveSAV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    306
    First off you both are off when it comes to leasing. The MANUFACTURER decides leasing RATES and RESIDUAL VALUE not the dealer itself. The owner of the lease is whomever the MANUFACTURER LEASING COMPANY is. For FORD it is the CAB LEASING COMPANY. Also the Dealership does not own the car during a lease, the leasing company does. The residual value is a projected future value of the car that is only recouped by the leasing company selling the car at the end of the lease at an auction, having a dealership buy at residual value + fees, or having the customer buy the car at residual value +500 plus other fees. Now I can only speak from experience with FORD because this is where I work. RESIDUAL VALUES cannot be negotiated, only the sale price of the car. ALSO RATES are set by the MANUFACTURER and CANNOT be negotiated unless you pay the total amount of the lease UPFRONT, in which there is still a 0.1%-0.25% interest charge, for FORD I can only speak for. I'm not gonna type out the rest unless I need to but you get the picture here. Don't talk like you know the process unless you know the ACTUAL WAY IT WORKS.

  10. #39
    Registered User ElusiveSAV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    306
    And of course the person leasing is the owner, but I figured that was a given haha

  11. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    60
    Don't bother leasing. The lease rates for subaru's suck.

    Subaru doesn't discount the lease rates like mercedes and bmw does. I was going to lease my 2014 wrx but the difference between buying and leasing with today's low interest rates was $90.00 a month.

    I decided just to buy and I can always sell if i'm not happy with the car after 3yrs since subaru's have really high resale values.

    Your probably better off buying a 3yr used sti with the lower purchasing cost and lower insurance rates, you'll have more money for mods and more disposable income.

    Honestly at your age, having to pay the rip off insurance rates for a new car, your better off just buying a 2-3yr used one, the difference in insurance is huge.

  12. #41
    Registered User BooSTin2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by ElusiveSAV View Post
    First off you both are off when it comes to leasing. The MANUFACTURER decides leasing RATES and RESIDUAL VALUE not the dealer itself. The owner of the lease is whomever the MANUFACTURER LEASING COMPANY is. For FORD it is the CAB LEASING COMPANY. Also the Dealership does not own the car during a lease, the leasing company does. The residual value is a projected future value of the car that is only recouped by the leasing company selling the car at the end of the lease at an auction, having a dealership buy at residual value + fees, or having the customer buy the car at residual value +500 plus other fees. Now I can only speak from experience with FORD because this is where I work. RESIDUAL VALUES cannot be negotiated, only the sale price of the car. ALSO RATES are set by the MANUFACTURER and CANNOT be negotiated unless you pay the total amount of the lease UPFRONT, in which there is still a 0.1%-0.25% interest charge, for FORD I can only speak for. I'm not gonna type out the rest unless I need to but you get the picture here. Don't talk like you know the process unless you know the ACTUAL WAY IT WORKS.
    I have leased a car before and you CAN negotiate leasing rates. If anybody doesn't believe me, you can go down to the dealership & see for yourself. Car salespeople have certain parameters that they have to stay within, but rates can be negotiated. I don't know how Ford does things, but I can tell you from experience that Subaru does it different if that's actually how it is over there at Ford. If you walk in and pay the price that they are asking - new, used, leased, financed, whatever - then you are doing yourself a big disservice unless you like giving money away.

    Anyways, This thread has gotten way off topic.. the OP was asking about modding a leased car, not all of this other crap.

  13. #42
    Registered User 386WRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Port Orange Florida
    Posts
    220
    Not sure who your insurance company is, but drop them. I am 22, been on a policy since I was 16 under my father's name. I just bought my 2011 wrx premium last month on my own. I checked with allstate (can we say company names, sorry if not) , and my premium every 6 months is 404. 500 dollar collision, 500 dollar comprehensive. 100/50 with UM. That's like 65 a month for full coverage on my own policy. I get drivewise and school discounts though....shop around on insurances bud


    Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

  14. #43
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    21,908
    I Support ClubWRX
    Let's please keep the thread on topic.

    The OP asked about modding a car that the OP does not own. Who does own it, what deals are available, etc. are somewhat interesting but in the final analysis, irrelevant.

    I would not mod a car I didn't own.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  15. #44
    Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    orlando flawduh
    Posts
    12,513
    I Support ClubWRX
    I leased my 06 and modded it to stage 2, did suspension, wheels, etc before my lease was up

    I went in to it knowing I was going to buy it out at the end of the lease and I didn't really care about my warranty.

    This is not the norm though so you will need to do what fits your situation.

    desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

  16. #45
    Registered User cogito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    291
    Lets make this simple. Who ever holds the title owns the car.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •