New 2012 Owner with a few Questions?

This is a discussion on New 2012 Owner with a few Questions? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My name is Tad. I'm 26, and I'm located in Omaha, NE. I just recently(1week ago) purchased a 2012 WRX ...

New 2012 Owner with a few Questions?

My name is Tad. I'm 26, and I'm located in Omaha, NE. I just recently(1week ago) purchased a 2012 WRX Sedan Base in Ice Metallic Silver. It has 13,800miles. This is on the top 5 for cars I want to own. I absolutely love driving it. I'll post up some pics tomorrow morning.

I have been lurking for about a month reading threads, getting ideas on future mods. But mostly learning about the different quirks these cars have. I have a few questions that after searching, I can't seem to get a definite answer for. So here goes...

1. After buying the car and getting it home, I did an deeper inspection of the engine bay. I noticed that the previous owner installed a Cobb Catted DP. The car did not come with a AP, I asked. I don't know if the car was tuned either. I am getting a P0420 code right now. I have checked all the mounting bolts & flanges. I have found no leaks. Now am I correct in assuming that this is caused because the car is not tuned for the DP? I have already ordered a Cobb AP...to check and get it running correctly.

2. I went to check the oil yesterday and noticed some yellow deposits in the filler tube. Now I know this is usually from water or coolant in the oil. I'm not new to this after owning a 1999 Chevy S10, and having to replace my lower intake manifold gaskets. Now we have been having some big temp swings here lately, 10*F-50*F. I checked the oil and its not milky or milkshake at all. The dipstick is also coming out clean oil, no yellow. No coolant smell either. Coolant level is staying level. Is this just condensation? Head gasket failure?(I hope not) Here's a pic from the filler...

3. This last one is a First world problem, so bear with me. Is it possible to have the auto door locks lock at a certain speed, then unlock when I pull the handle? Instead of having to hit the button every time.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The P0420 code is telling you that your cat is inefficient. Which it is, which is why the DP (with proper tune) adds more power. Once you get it tuned properly it will go away. The stage 2 tune disables that code. Is it just the downpipe, or was any other piece of the exhaust replaced too? Generally, the map notes for COBB call for a full TBE.

I believe you are correct with the condensation on the oil filler. Sometimes a lot of short trips where the engine oil doesn't get up to full temp will cause that. Should be fine.

On the door locking thing, I don't think so. Sorry. Going to have to hit the button

Any more mods that you can see? Post up some pictures of the engine bay.

Also, welcome

The car is currently at the dealer getting some touchup on the front bumper from rock chips. When I get it back, I'll post a pic of the engine bay. But from what I saw, I saw no additional mods. The exhaust from the DP looks stock as it says Subaru on the mufflers, and its more rusty(seasoned) than the DP.

I Support ClubWRX
    I believe that the oil issue had been covered in another post i forget where but I dont think it was a problem I think it happens from condensation.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX