Considering buying a Subaru!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Considering buying a Subaru! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello all! I'm in the market for a new car and I saw a 2009 Subaru WRX for sale locally. ...

Considering buying a Subaru!

Hello all! I'm in the market for a new car and I saw a 2009 Subaru WRX for sale locally. I've had a GTO for a while now but I'm wanting to get something newer and more practical for the future.

I've done a bit of reading around here and elsewhere on the web and I've seen a bit of hostility towards the 08+ WRXs. People seem to think they lost their touch. Is there a reason people say this or have I just ran across overly negative reviews?

I'm going to continue reading through the forums to get a feel for the popular maintenance issues but I was hoping a few seasoned owners would share a bit of insight on the experience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes, the 08's are generally considered the worst... If you want something 'newer' I'd go for the 11's and up. The 15's are coming out soon as well, but no hatch option there.

The WRX seems to fill the niche of practical, somewhat economical, outdoors enthusiast, racing/driving enthusiast, family people. It can certainly do all of those things at once. The AWD and exhaust note...and of course the rally legend, was what sparked my interest in the car and I pretty much fell in love after the first test drive I took. But I'm speaking from the point of view of the more old school crowd. The 98 imprezas, v6 Sti, and the 22b. The bugeyes, the v7 STi, and the s202. I like the older stuff, and the stuff that was not available in the US. The WRX is a drivers car I think it's safe to say.

I'd get in one and take it for a test drive. That will help you with your decision.

I think one of the main reasons why people didn't really like the 08/09 wrx's is just because of the look. Subaru took away the aggressive look and the 08's kinda just blended in with every other sedan/hatchback car. But its still a wrx and a good choice! If you can get your hands on one for a test drive like Wreckingball said, you'd know for sure if its the car for you.

Enjoy! and Welcome

I Support ClubWRX
    See whether the 2009 has a VIN within the range known to suffer engine failures.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i would save and get the 2011 + wrx's with the wide body and upgraded turbo and suspension. The 2008 wrx only came with the 224hp not the 265hp.

Quote Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
    i would save and get the 2011 + wrx's with the wide body and upgraded turbo and suspension. The 2008 wrx only came with the 224hp not the 265hp.
    The 2009 came with the 265 I believe.

You are correct, 2009 was 265 hp. I personally like the 2011+ sedans but the 09-10 hatch looks good too.
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I just sold my 2006 GTO ls2 M6 last month. Just long tubes and intake. I love that thing, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse on it. I always loved manual RWD v8 cars, so I was looking at an ls2 cts-v. Always loved the looks of the WRX, but its an import . On my way to get the CTS-v, I stopped at a bmw dealership which had my WRX out front. I checked it out, immediately fell in love. After I got my hands on the wheel, it was game over. Nothing like Ive ever driven before! And it is extremely functional. Go with the WRX (2011 or newer), or at least 09-2010, you will not be disappointed. Just did a TP stage 1 on her and it already feels on par with the GTO from a roll, and lightning compared to the GTO from a dig.

My old baby:

New baby:

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    lol, mom's hiding! Picture look out...

Good choice!

great choice man, best of luck with the car!

Quote Originally Posted by 386WRX View Post
    I just sold my 2006 GTO ls2 M6 last month. Just long tubes and intake. I love that thing, but I got an offer I couldn't refuse on it. I always loved manual RWD v8 cars, so I was looking at an ls2 cts-v. Always loved the looks of the WRX, but its an import . On my way to get the CTS-v, I stopped at a bmw dealership which had my WRX out front. I checked it out, immediately fell in love. After I got my hands on the wheel, it was game over. Nothing like Ive ever driven before! And it is extremely functional. Go with the WRX (2011 or newer), or at least 09-2010, you will not be disappointed. Just did a TP stage 1 on her and it already feels on par with the GTO from a roll, and lightning compared to the GTO from a dig.

My old baby:

New baby:
    That's awesome! Thanks for your input. Super helpful. Might go test drive the 09 today to see how it feels.

Not sure a 2011 model is in the budget, that's my only concern with getting a newer one.

Yeah I didn't think so either, they are expensive, even used. But I waited a few months and found her for 18800 TTT...one owner certified pre owned. Good luck! Jump on that 09 if it looks clean inside and out. Either way, Def get a wrx. Great car for the driving enthusiast, and family man alike.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Something about those GTOs...not the prettiest...not the lightest...not even the most powerful cars out there...but something about them I've always loved. Nice exhaust and long tubes and they can be the meanest sounding cars out there.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten Peaches View Post
    That's awesome! Thanks for your input. Super helpful. Might go test drive the 09 today to see how it feels.

Not sure a 2011 model is in the budget, that's my only concern with getting a newer one.
    You'll be surprised how low the difference between buying new and 3yr used with todays low interest rates. Since used subaru prices are pretty high and you can buy newpretty close to invoice at 3% of less interest, there isnt a huge savings. Just food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast