1st Snow Drive
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 1st Snow Drive within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Came out of work Friday night and the snow had hit. I walk to my car and the snow is ...

Registered User chrismartin3391's Avatar

1st Snow Drive

Came out of work Friday night and the snow had hit. I walk to my car and the snow is about to the bottom of the door. I was excited and scared at the same time. I've read on here that the stock tires on these Subaru's are horrible in the snow. But then again I'm thinking the all wheel drive should be able to handle the drive home if I took it easy. Needless to say I think if I had more than 100 miles on these tires I would’ve never made it home. I was sideways every other second. If there had been traffic the ride home would’ve been horrible. But since I had the roads pretty much to myself it turned out to be a fun ride. Next year I'll have snow tires for sure. But man this thing is fun to drive in the snow. Glad I went Subi or Ford ST... Posted some pics of what the blubaru looked like once I got her home. Riding home in a 30k car when its only about a week old can make a man sweat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subi3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	136073Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subi4.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	136081

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you need some snow tires, end of story

Snow tires are the definite solution, but I have been driving for about 14 years now and never had a set of snow tires on any cars I've owned. Did it make it a pain to get around in inclement weather? Of course. Just don't drive like a mad man and you should be ok. Drop your air pressure a few lbs and that will help a little bit as well.
    '14 SWP STI

Snow tires completely transform the car in inclement weather. I test drove the car with summer tires on, had them put my Blizzak WS-70's from my previous car on it when I bought it, and it snowed while I took the 50 mile trip back home from the dealer. This car is a tank in the snow with proper tires and you will not slide sideways unless you try. The downside is when it snows my wife wants to drive my car and leave hers in the garage now

I had the exact same thing happen to me back in 2012. One of the scariest parts of my first snow drive was getting off a ramp and nearly sliding all the way down through it. There were a few cars at the bottom of it, but luckily they all took off before I got there and stopped. Now, I'm using a set of '04 wrx wheels with the Firestone Winterforce winter tires and I am loving it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yea. I was hoping when I bought this that the snow was over. But nope. We just got a bad one a few days back. Looking forward to the 40-60 degree days coming up. Hoping the snow is gone for the year! Next year I'll def have some snow tires installed on this girl. But have to say. Even though I slid straight through turns at green lights, I never once got stuck. She somehow found traction to get me home safe. I myself need to find a different set of wheels just for the winter. I love the stock wheels the wrx comes with. Dont want to ruin them in this crap!

Quote Originally Posted by thill View Post
    This car is a tank in the snow with proper tires and you will not slide sideways unless you try.
    +1. Drove mine in the snow with Dunlop Winter Maxx tires for the first time this weekend and I wasn't disappointed--the car never budged.

Quote Originally Posted by AFP520 View Post
    Drop your air pressure a few lbs and that will help a little bit as well.
    This is very bad advice.... The proper thing to do is have properly inflated tires. In the snow you want the tire to be narrow. If you reduce PSI you will be making the tire wider. That is why winter tires are narrower than all season and much narrower than summer tires.

Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle’s tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could lead to tire failure. Additionally, the tire’s tread life could be reduced by as much as 25%. Lower inflation pressure will allow the tire to deflect (bend) more as it rolls. This will build up internal heat, increase rolling resistance and cause a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%. You would experience a significant loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn’t seem excessively low, remember, it usually represents about 20% of the tire’s recommended pressure.

Running your WRX in the snow with stock summer tires is dangerous and stupid. AWD will not save you if don't have proper traction, period.

Changed my wheels out with my winter set (215/55R16 Blizzak WS70s). They definitely make a difference in the snow.

Drop your air pressure a few lbs and that will help a little bit as well.
    Worst advice ever. Never underinflate your tires. Get the right tires for road and weather conditions, period.

Yea I know not to let air pressure out of my tires. Only time to do that is when I'm racing GNCC on my quad lol. Looking forwards to this week! Not a day under 35 degrees lol!!

You guys act like I suggested he run the tires completely flat at 100mph. If there is snow accumulation a couple of PSI isn't going to blow the tires out. Yes snow tires are the answer, but they are not required to operate the vehicle. Don't drive like a fool and you won't end up in a ditch or into a curb.
    '14 SWP STI

No, you suggested that OP reduce the tire pressure, thereby reducing snow handling performance. Why would someone ever want to do that? Why even suggest it in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by bSER272 View Post
    No, you suggested that OP reduce the tire pressure, thereby reducing snow handling performance. Why would someone ever want to do that? Why even suggest it in the first place?
    I've had no problems doing this in my 13+ years of driving. I also don't drive like im invincible when there is snow on the ground. I will go with my experience over the internet on this one.
    '14 SWP STI

I've had no problems doing this in my 13+ years of driving. I also don't drive like im invincible when there is snow on the ground. I will go with my experience over the internet on this one.
    Experience of yours, internet, God, whomever...running tires at pressure under spec is just not a good idea.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.