Newbie Subie WRX 2014 Shopping List
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie Subie WRX 2014 Shopping List within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Here we go: Non-Mechanic. New Subaru Owner Loves his WRX Limited (except for maybe the sound system) Done already: SPT ...

Newbie Subie WRX 2014 Shopping List

Here we go:

Non-Mechanic. New Subaru Owner
    Loves his WRX Limited (except for maybe the sound system)

Done already: SPT SS with Kartboy Bushings, Blizzak performance snows.

Considering performance upgrades before sound upgrade.

Budget is $2,000

Car will NEVER be raced or see the track.

To be used for extensive Northeast and New England Driving. Will be driven a LOT (>2,000 miles a month)

My car is my "happy place." I spend a lot of time in it.

Please advise me on what your "wish list" would be given the information I have given you.

Thanks!

(P.S.: This is a great forum with really helpful members)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What do you feel the car is lacking? Are you thinking more power or better handling?

You can do quite a bit with $2K, but it would help to know what you feel is lacking and could be improved.

I am starting with the suspension. I plan on adding sway bars to reduce bodyroll, then adding springs, camber bolts, and an alignment to make the car handle more neutrally and reduce understeer.

I will eventually add more power via a Cobb AP and go to stage 2 but would like to keep the warranty on the drivetrain for a few more years.

I am not sure-- I have no other upgrades as of yet.

That is why I am asking the experts on the forum.

As for Cobb Stage 2-- I am not even at Cobb Stage 1... No accessport or upgraded intake.

Right now all is stock except for what I stated. What do YOU think is most important?

Thanks

I think maintaining your warranty is most important. I feel it has plenty of power, upgrade the handling and sound system if you wish.

I would possibly go stiffer springs and sway bars. Kartboy endlinks are another good upgrade. Also some people have their opinions about them but Mud flaps really keep the dirt and grime off the side of the car.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If your car is your happy place why not start with the sound system?

But anyway, mods being what they are, for that budget you're probly not going to get complete suspension and complete power. If I were you and I drove that much I'd keep it all stock and when something needed replacing I'd just upgrade it; saving a bit of money and researching heavily along the way,.

But basic things *in that budget* would be what chief said and I might also add a downpipe and pro tune.

Kind of difficult to make suggestions without a goal/problem/need.

Sagacious advise all so far. It's just too early on in my Subaru driving experience to know what I need.

Just trying to figure the sound issue is mind-numbing for me! I would need a head-unit, plus a sirius unit plus a wiring harness plus a steering wheel adapter plus a bezel plus wiring the sirius antenna and get a better grounding radio antenna... Ugh!

Or an amp and new speakers and dynamat...

I haven't noticed any significant body roll.

I forgot to mention that I added after-market tints. Nice 3M ones too. (and a Thule Ski rack)

I am toying with the idea of an intake and a tune. But it's a foreign language to me. Half the staff at the dealership I bought the car from approve of mods. The other half do not. It's confusing.

Have you done that trick that you can do with the radios in the 2012's? There are different settings to the radio that make huge differences in sound. Look it up, there's a video on how to change it. Search "Unlocking your radio" subaru wrx or something like that.

Yes and I can't say that it made a "huge difference." The radio sounds hollow and has a hard time finding any stations.

It sounds best when I listen to Sirius via bluetooth or aux (from my phone).

since you said your not too mechanical, i would say just get a cobb access port v3 with stage 1 then upgrade the sound system and call it a day. The cobb tunes are pretty safe to keep things reliable, so your getting some extra hp and ability to go back to stock tune if need be.

Thank you--

I have 2 places fairly close by who will dyno tune and install an accessport. They are both about $1,000 to do the purchase, tune and install.

Here are the mods I am considering (not all at once):

1) Accessport and tune
    2) Better HU / stereo
    3) Cobb intake
    4) Stiffer sway bars (rear, then front or both)
    5) Improved suspension
    6) wider Downpipe
    7) better horn (stock one is kinda wimpy)

If I do #3 or #6, it will require a tune (either a second or done at the same time as the accessport install)

Still pondering over what is important to me. Might need more miles to figure it out.

#7 might move up depending on $ and complexity.

Also, not sure if the 2014 even needs the intake done...
    Last edited by skimd; 02-18-2014 at 02:06 PM.

You can do the accesport and intake yourself and save a little bit of money (Maybe $100). I would say for as much time that you spend in your vehicle focus on the sound system. You can find a really nice headunit and upgrade your speakers and maybe throw some dynamat in there.

Skip the intake, it wont give you any noticeable gains. Put the money into the accessport, downpipe, suspension, and sound system. Hella horns are a fun upgrade too.

Do the intake and Cobb AP stage 1. You'll love the woosh sound. I never get tired of it. Lol. Good luck and hope you figure it out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Okay--

Reading the forum A LOT (Learning a lot too).

A couple more questions. Please hit me with your answers and advise.

1) I am thinking of doing a COBB or PERRIN downpipe + Accessport & Tune. (not sure I need the intake). Anyone do just that? Ballpark cost for it to be done by a true, professional Subaru-experienced tuner / dyno-tuner?

2) Sound system:
    a) Amp + Speakers and dynomat (keep the head-unit)
    OR
    b) New Headunit (keep the speakers)
    I am leaning toward option a)

Thanks and keep the comments coming!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast