Newbie Subie WRX 2014 Shopping List - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Newbie Subie WRX 2014 Shopping List within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not sure if you've already bought flaps, but I highly recommend Rally Armor UR flaps. They're functional and will reduce ...

Not sure if you've already bought flaps, but I highly recommend Rally Armor UR flaps. They're functional and will reduce the amount of stuff getting thrown at the fenders. Totally worth the cost...

Stay away from Rok Blokz or Gorilla flaps...they may be cheaper, but they're not the same.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Rally Armor UR flaps rock. Kinda spendy for mudflaps and the installation is not in 20 seconds, but it's all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilypablo View Post
    and the installation is not in 20 seconds, but it's all worth it.
    Got that right...on both counts!

Quote Originally Posted by JimboWRX View Post
    Not sure if you've already bought flaps, but I highly recommend Rally Armor UR flaps. They're functional and will reduce the amount of stuff getting thrown at the fenders. Totally worth the cost...

Stay away from Rok Blokz or Gorilla flaps...they may be cheaper, but they're not the same.
    Thanks-- been considering them and a Hella horn. The horn looks a lot easier to install than the mud-flaps. (Assuming I can get the bumper BACK on flush and without breaking the clips).

Good suggestions! Thank you.

I Support ClubWRX
    We must be thinking the same. I'm drooling over the Hella horns too!!

Which model?

This one- I am going with black (although red seems to be all the rage in Subieland).

Hella Supertone Horn Kit - 003399801 - Hella

Hella Horn ordered and on the way.

Installed the Kartboy bushings (front and rear) this weekend. No, I did not do it myself. I will attempt the Hella horn install, but I worry a little bit about putting the bumper back on. From the forum, I can tell that quite a few people have had issues putting the bumper back on (damaged clips & headlight unit).

WOW-- what a difference in shifting with the bushings installed!!! It feels fantastic to shift now-- tight and determined with no slack or play. Makes a slight, deep, and satisfying "thunk" while engaging gear now. Right now I have the SPT short shifter and the new bushings. It's amazing.

I wonder, if I consider a dollar-to-difference ratio, if there can be a better mod for the money than putting in shifter bushings? Would adding a shorter stem make this even better? (just a thought for now)

I also looked into some professionally installed radio options. Still not clear on whether head unit or amplification is the way to go. Different installers have different opinions. BUT, considering the cost, I may go for a stage 2 upgrade (downpipe and tune) and leave the radio for later. Bluetooth in the OEM equipment works reasonably well. Radio (stations) are awful. I think you need to be outside the transmitter station to get a good signal.

Quote Originally Posted by skimd View Post
    Installed the Kartboy bushings (front and rear) this weekend. No, I did not do it myself. I will attempt the Hella horn install, but I worry a little bit about putting the bumper back on. From the forum, I can tell that quite a few people have had issues putting the bumper back on (damaged clips & headlight unit).

WOW-- what a difference in shifting with the bushings installed!!! It feels fantastic to shift now-- tight and determined with no slack or play. Makes a slight, deep, and satisfying "thunk" while engaging gear now. Right now I have the SPT short shifter and the new bushings. It's amazing.

I wonder, if I consider a dollar-to-difference ratio, if there can be a better mod for the money than putting in shifter bushings? Would adding a shorter stem make this even better? (just a thought for now)
    Told you it would make a HUGE difference! Definitely worth the money spent on the parts and install.

If you go with the Kartboy shifter lever, it will definitely reduce the throw further, but it won't improve the tight, notchy feel that the bushings have now provided. Of course, if you want a shorter shifter height without changing out the shifter lever, you can always ditch the stock knob and go with one that will effectively reduce the height. I run a STI 5-speed Aluminum/Leather shift knob and it feels just right. I also bought a WC Lathe Werks Ti Sphere...haven't installed that one yet.

BTW, if you do Hellas, make sure you're using the SubiMods harness and bracket. It costs a little bit more, but they make for the cleanest install.

BTW, if you do Hellas, make sure you're using the SubiMods harness and bracket. It costs a little bit more, but they make for the cleanest install.
    I ordered the horn, bracket and the wiring as a kit from SubiMods. Got $20 off the horn (on sale), plus a discount for getting all the pieces as a kit, plus another 5% for joining Subimods. Still, really cheap (as long as I can do the install). Will likely wait for warmer weather before I attempt it.

I agree with this. I also recommend upgrading the exhaust. Not too hard of an install, just grab a buddy to help you out. It gives you immediate satisfaction compared to other mods.

Quote Originally Posted by BlankWRX View Post
    I agree with this. I also recommend upgrading the exhaust. Not too hard of an install, just grab a buddy to help you out. It gives you immediate satisfaction compared to other mods.
    That would be the second thing I did to the WRX after the flaps...I went with the Nameless Catback with 5" mufflers, 3.5" single wall tips, resonator midpipe. Sounds nice with no drone.

The Hellas are installed. I have to give thanks for the guys at Subimods-- their products are first class and their website gave great instructions. I also LOVE that they sold them in multiple colors. I went with black-- I prefer the subdued look of the black on black.

I also watched a few Youtube videos of people pulling the bumper off.

The entire project took me 2 1/2 hours start to finish. The hardest part was separating the nut from the bolt on the horn out of the box. No kidding-- beats me how the factory tightened it on so damn tightly!

I prepped meticulously for the install-- had all the tools I would need and containers for the various fasteners). I also put the front wheels up on ramps and draped underneath the vehicle.

I used a lot cable ties to tuck everything away behind the bumper-guard and left little-to-no slack.

They sound great! I will attach a pic to show the results (but my car is covered with street salt and crap-- those are not scratches!). IT happens despite near-daily washings.

A couple things to know-- cold is NOT your friend for this job. The bumper's plastic bolts and fasteners are cheap and flimsy. They are even more brittle and delicate in the cold. I warmed the garage up with a ceramic heater and still needed to be ever-so-gentle with all of the hardware. No broken bolts or fasteners, however (a reward for patience and preparation!).

I did not have to disconnect the fog lights. I propped the bumper cover up on stacks of newspaper and that worked just fine-- it did not get in my way when I placed the horn bracket or ran the wiring. I, for one, would not recommend disconnecting them-- there is no need to.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hellas.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	137713
    Last edited by skimd; 03-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Last question for you guys who pm'd me about catback exhausts- how much louder than stock does that make the car? What is interior noise like at driving speeds? Does it absolutely make listening to anything on the weak and underpowered stock radio impossible? Can you have a conversation at highway speeds (in person, on the bluetooth)?

Which do you prefer and why is it something to consider? (more power, less restrictions, different engine noise- Yes, I read the forums).

This question is in response to the very helpful people who suggested my adding a full exhaust to the shopping list).

Thank you.

I Support ClubWRX
    Change the HU keep the speakers
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Your suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Change the HU keep the speakers
    What unit do you suggest? With all the crap I have to add to make the thing work seamlessly, I may just stick with bluetoothing my phone and putting the $$ into performance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.