New and PROUD owner of a 2014 Subaru WRX sedan!

This is a discussion on New and PROUD owner of a 2014 Subaru WRX sedan! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Sup Subaru fam, I'm a proud owner of a new 2014 Subaru WRX sedan. I've always loved Subaru cars. One ...

New and PROUD owner of a 2014 Subaru WRX sedan!

Sup Subaru fam,

I'm a proud owner of a new 2014 Subaru WRX sedan. I've always loved Subaru cars. One of my fondest memories growing up was seeing the first version (bug-eye) of the second-generation WRX/STI's rolling down the street with a fat exhaust and that beefy boxer engine rumble. After that day, I knew that I wanted to own a WRX/STI one day. Well, fast forward 14 years later, I'm 21-years-old with that dream accomplished. From what I've seen, Subaru owners are generally nice to each other and supportive. I'm coming from a Honda background, first car being a second generation Integra, and it was fun while it lasted.. but the Honda game is so ruthless. It's a competition, EVERYWHERE, ALL THE TIME. I understand that it's human nature, especially for men, to always try and one-up their fellow man but c'mon.. again, I had my fun with Honda's while it lasted, but I'm so happy to have my WRX now. I just wanted to introduce myself and hopefully I can meet some cool people here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So awesome! Just got my WRX too and I am just as stoked as you are. From what I have seen Subaru guys are a bunch of great guys. I am sure you will enjoy your dream car as well. Congrats!

Congrats and enjoy, your car. Just bought my son a 2013 wrx, last week, I drive an sti 2011 and it two was my first sub. and I love it. I have always been found of subaru. They are the best looking vehicles, And we do get a lot of support from one another.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Welcome!

Being a former Honda/Acura owner (like myself), you'll have to get used to the Subaru shifter feel. Unlike the Honda's nice notchy shifter, the Subaru shifter will feel sorta rubbery/vague and like running a stick in a jar of marbles...perfectly normal. And the throw is rather long (unless you have a SPT short throw shifter already installed).

It may feel tight right now, but after several hundred miles, it will start feeling rubbery and vague. The problem lies in the stock OEM shifter bushing. It's made of a rather soft rubber and it literally starts breaking down on installation (they feel like marshmallows).

You can get rid of the rubbery vagueness feel of the shifter by changing the stock OEM shifter bushings with Kartboy urethane shifter bushings. It will improve the feel of the shifter by making it notchy (but it will still feel like running a stick in a jar of marbles though).

You can reduce the throw by either getting a Kartboy short throw shift lever (which will also lower the shifter height) or finding a second hand SPT short throw shift lever someone is selling off their WRX (if you prefer the shifter height).

Thanks for the love y'all, and thanks for the insightful info, Jimbo. I'm looking forward to adding little accessories here and there in the near future. I don't really plan on messing with the engine anytime soon, since these new cars nowadays are manufactured pretty fast. lol

Quote Originally Posted by wonged View Post
    Thanks for the love y'all, and thanks for the insightful info, Jimbo. I'm looking forward to adding little accessories here and there in the near future. I don't really plan on messing with the engine anytime soon, since these new cars nowadays are manufactured pretty fast. lol
    You and I are on the same page, brother. I went with light personal preference mods (flaps, catback, shifter bushings)...no engine/ECU related mods for me either.