Yo Everyone! New Member Intro and Plans.

This is a discussion on Yo Everyone! New Member Intro and Plans. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi all! I have been creeping on the forums for a week now doing research. I am 26 and live ...

Yo Everyone! New Member Intro and Plans.

Hi all!

I have been creeping on the forums for a week now doing research. I am 26 and live in Champaign, IL and put downpayment on a new 2014 WRX Hatch Base.

A bit of my car history (actually all of it). I am super excited. This will be my first new car. I had a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi (Mitsubishi Eclipse) when I was 16. I got it with 84k on it and drove it for several years. From 120k onwards it was plagued with issues. I used to do all my own work, but as soon as I would get one system solid another would fail and it just started taking too much of my time and money. At around 187k I came back from a long hike with a friend where we had gotten rained on and were exhausted and cold and it would not start. I decided I had had enough. I got it in good working order for the last time and sold it. I have been without a car for around 5 years now. I have a motorcycle for the warmer months ('09 Buell 1125CR), and ride the bus during the winters. I did love that car though (when it worked). AWD turbo manual sports cars are my thing.

Needless to say, I am pumped not only for the convenience but for the performance and reliability I will have which I have never experienced before.

I started out looking at trucks to haul my bike, mine and my girlfriend's dogs, and luggage/camping gear. After deciding trucks were too expensive and inefficient as far as MPG I kept looking. Saddened by the lack of ponies or lack of manual. The CVT crap (I am not saying it is not good for some people) they are coming out with today. Mostly the face that I could not get a sports car because of my needs... I saw a light at the end of the tunnel when I started research on the hatchback WRX.

It has the space I need. The performance I want. The manual tranny. It just seemed to be the perfect vehicle for me (the only one actually). It just seems to be a go anywhere, do anything car.

So! I got one coming. Here is my plan for it. Hopefully I can pull on you all for advice, opinions, and input.

First thing I plan on is to take the versatility of the WRX further. I want to add a Class I hitch to be able to haul a trailer with my motorcycle, or as extra luggage. I want to get the roof racks for the same reason. Generally, make it even more utility and ruggedized. Maybe even make a mount for the hitch that can store an extra 25 gallons of gas or so for when the zombie outbreak happens... You never know...

I might possibly want to raise it ever so slightly for offroadability. I don't want to sacrifice handling on corners much though, so this might not happen. Anyone else heard of anyone raising one?

I am a computer tech and as such I want to put tech into the interior. Mine is not coming with navigation, but I would love to integrate an android or iOS device as a media/nav center. Suggestions welcome.

As far as performance. Sway bars will most likely be the first. After that, I will take it to stage I at least.. (probably Cobb)... or potentially stage II depending on MPG I would have to sacrifice. The reports on this are mixed from what I have read with some saying they get the same or better MPG with stage II... This seems odd to me..

What do you all think?

Anyways, it is nice to be here! I am so looking forward to owning this car and working with you all on ideas and innovations (I tend to obsess over stuff like this and am fairly mechanical and forward-thinking).

See you around the boards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!
    2011 Wrx Limited Sedan Silver. Nameless muffler delete, Kartboy Short throw w/ cobb knob, Rally Armor mud flaps, 30% tint... Goodbye warranty Cobb AP v3 and Sf intake. Stink-eye mob #1993

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjhin View Post
    Hi all!

I have been creeping on the forums for a week now doing research. I am 26 and live in Champaign, IL and put downpayment on a new 2014 WRX Hatch Base.

A bit of my car history (actually all of it). I am super excited. This will be my first new car. I had a 1997 Eagle Talon TSi (Mitsubishi Eclipse) when I was 16. I got it with 84k on it and drove it for several years. From 120k onwards it was plagued with issues. I used to do all my own work, but as soon as I would get one system solid another would fail and it just started taking too much of my time and money. At around 187k I came back from a long hike with a friend where we had gotten rained on and were exhausted and cold and it would not start. I decided I had had enough. I got it in good working order for the last time and sold it. I have been without a car for around 5 years now. I have a motorcycle for the warmer months ('09 Buell 1125CR), and ride the bus during the winters. I did love that car though (when it worked). AWD turbo manual sports cars are my thing.

Needless to say, I am pumped not only for the convenience but for the performance and reliability I will have which I have never experienced before.

I started out looking at trucks to haul my bike, mine and my girlfriend's dogs, and luggage/camping gear. After deciding trucks were too expensive and inefficient as far as MPG I kept looking. Saddened by the lack of ponies or lack of manual. The CVT crap (I am not saying it is not good for some people) they are coming out with today. Mostly the face that I could not get a sports car because of my needs... I saw a light at the end of the tunnel when I started research on the hatchback WRX.

It has the space I need. The performance I want. The manual tranny. It just seemed to be the perfect vehicle for me (the only one actually). It just seems to be a go anywhere, do anything car.

So! I got one coming. Here is my plan for it. Hopefully I can pull on you all for advice, opinions, and input.

First thing I plan on is to take the versatility of the WRX further. I want to add a Class I hitch to be able to haul a trailer with my motorcycle, or as extra luggage. I want to get the roof racks for the same reason. Generally, make it even more utility and ruggedized. Maybe even make a mount for the hitch that can store an extra 25 gallons of gas or so for when the zombie outbreak happens... You never know...

I might possibly want to raise it ever so slightly for offroadability. I don't want to sacrifice handling on corners much though, so this might not happen. Anyone else heard of anyone raising one?

I am a computer tech and as such I want to put tech into the interior. Mine is not coming with navigation, but I would love to integrate an android or iOS device as a media/nav center. Suggestions welcome.

As far as performance. Sway bars will most likely be the first. After that, I will take it to stage I at least.. (probably Cobb)... or potentially stage II depending on MPG I would have to sacrifice. The reports on this are mixed from what I have read with some saying they get the same or better MPG with stage II... This seems odd to me..

What do you all think?

Anyways, it is nice to be here! I am so looking forward to owning this car and working with you all on ideas and innovations (I tend to obsess over stuff like this and am fairly mechanical and forward-thinking).

See you around the boards.
    We are not much of the lifting types here, but these guys are...DirtyImpreza.com - The Off-Road Impreza Community

There has been some Ipad installs on here that you can find, and if you are thinking of an audio build, post up questions, many of us know a good deal about audio ifs, ands, or buts.

Mileage on stage 2 can actually be quite good. I have noticed at least as good mileage on stage 2 as stock. Of course if you have a heavy right foot, then MPG's go down.

Sounds like you are in for a fun little buggy to me. Drive it for a bit before you go too far down the mod path. Then based on your initial thoughts, come up with a goal and a PLAN.

Oh yeah. Welcome

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I plan on driving it for a good bit before I decide exactly what to do. I am a man of extremes though.

I know I am going to like the car, but it will either be... do a little, make it nice, then trade it in...

Or.. fall in love and pour my soul (and money) into it and drive it til it absolutely dies (hopefully over 200k).

I am not sold on the lifting it part. Like I said, I don't want to sacrifice on the road handling much if at all. Mostly I guess I just want to toughen the suspension up so if I decide to take it off road and get the tires off the ground a bit I won't have to worry about a tire going through the top of the wheel well

Thanks for the other website suggestion as well!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'd go with the second option

If you lift it, tarmac handling will likely suffer. My friend has an '02 lifted on forester struts, no rear sway bar, 16'' wheels, etc and he has to drive so slow around curvy roads.

Hmm, yeah. That would be a no go for me. I don't want to go slow around corners

Are there options for suspension that is just tougher and not necessarily lifted that would work for... well, I will just do the research. This is probably not the thread to get into real detail.

BTW, awesome avatar wreckingball.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinjhin View Post
    Hmm, yeah. That would be a no go for me. I don't want to go slow around corners

Are there options for suspension that is just tougher and not necessarily lifted that would work for... well, I will just do the research. This is probably not the thread to get into real detail.

BTW, awesome avatar wreckingball.
    I don't think you are looking for lower, but RCE black springs and Koni yellow struts are a popular upgrade.

One of my friends just got king springs on his forrester xt, and he loves them, but I have neither driven the car or have any experience with them. Worth doing a little digging on though.