New guy just bought a hybrid built wagon

This is a discussion on New guy just bought a hybrid built wagon within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Just bought a 2002 WRX Wagon from my brother. I've known this car since 60k miles. It's been well cared ...

New guy just bought a hybrid built wagon

Just bought a 2002 WRX Wagon from my brother. I've known this car since 60k miles. It's been well cared for. Engine went a while back and my brother decided to do a STI EJ257/EJ20 hybrid.

Ordered a new from Subaru EJ257 short block, had 2.0 heads CNCd and built it up with tons of upgrades. Cometic Super Pro gasket set, Gates racing kevlar timing set, STI high flow oil and water pumps, ARP stud kit, SPEC Stage 1 clutch kit, full stainless headers, up and down pipe and full catless exhaust and cold air intake.

He left the rest stock EJ20 including all fuel, ignition, cams, etc... for reliability and because he was aiming to build a solid bottom end and was planning to get into the rest later.

Car runs great. AFR runs 14.7:1 normally. Life is good, but now that I have it I want to see a few things through. Seems there is a lot of fine tuning I can do to optimize this hybrid build using a Tactrix cable and RomRaider. Need to get rid of a few things in ECU like programming out the EGT and rear O2 sensor. Want to flash an optimized map for this kind of build.

Any recommendations?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

75 views and nothing? Is it something I said?

Well I don't know enough to make suggestions for you as to specific mapping, however, I will make the first comment and say that it sounds like fun. I know I would be interested in seeing some pictures if you have any available...

Oh, and welcome!
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

Okay there we go man let's get this started. Let me share with you.

Nice. I like the "You just got beat by a wagon" sticker.

Looks like its been loved
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

It has. I can't figure out how the original struts and coils are seemingly still good and tight with this many miles. Perhaps because the vast majority of the miles were interstate highway miles, not rally off road hard miles. But I plan to replace those soon, can't imagine 200k miles is good on them even if it feels fine still. All four half shafts and wheel bearings have been replaced recently too.

Yea... that seems like cheap insurance. I just replaced my struts and springs at about 55000. Granted it was for a sportier set up, but still.
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

What's the recommendation for springs and struts to get a little better performance? I don't want to stance it, just a small upgrade while refreshing the suspension.

I did Koni Yellows and RCE Blacks. The combo works really well in my opinion. The largest noticeable difference (obviously besides the stiffness) is that it lowered it a bit naturally to where I lost about 1" of the wheel gap from stock. Looks much better than factory and is pretty good bang for your buck.

I also did new motor mounts, tranny mounts, crossmember bushings, and a Kartboy pitch stop at the same time so I can't really speak to the exact effect that the new struts and springs had individually, but its obviously an improvement.
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

The suspension is already so stiff. Seems firm on small bumps but when you roll it over into a corner the body rolls a bit. I suppose it's the stock ride height. It's sitting on 18" wheels but 225/35R18 tires which I believe have the same circumference as stock wheels and tires.

Yea its all about what you want out of it. I wanted a spirited daily driver that was good in the corners with the occasional auto x here and there during the season. I don't mind a stiffer ride anyways. Keeps me feeling like I'm connected to the car
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

Well it's less refined than my M3 which has my wife spoiled. The M3 is stiff when it needs to be but a little less harsh on daily road ripples. She would not like it any stiffer and technically it's her car. So I think same stiffness with a little lower ride would be fine with her.

Just found out if you unlock it with the key instead of the remote the alarm goes off lol.

Transmission needs some gear oil. Not sure what's best to use or what my brother used before. What's recommend for these? Looks like 75/90W would be good. Should I add LSD additive? Or get a oil that already has it in it? What's safe to add if I don't know what was used before?

** after some research it looks like the V3 Scottys Cocktail utilizing the Heavyweight Redline Shockproof is the latest recommended fluid? Any reason not to go that route? This trans has a lot of miles but was regularly serviced, the fluid on the stick still looks virgin, good sign. I know he just serviced the diffs too.

Last edited by hybridEJ; 02-03-2014 at 09:52 PM.

I've always gone with what TurnIn Concepts recommends. Luckily, they're my local shop here in Cinci - They use Motul Gear300 75W90 in all their stuff. Can't speak for LSD additive though.
    2009 WRX Hatch, WR Blue
    [Stage 2]

hybridEJ, that is a sweet wagon. Its good to keep a good car in the family.

two bits of advice on the tactrix/romraider thing.

the romraider site is has an awesome forum, but not very lively-gotta wait a few days for a response.

look up them WTF tuning peoples, they got skills. You'll have to talk to Matty but he might provide you with a good starting point type map and help you tune it up. They're not free but super reasonable.

I did konis/blacks too on my 02 sedan. I like it. It corners like nobodies business. I've got 24/22 swaybars also. Good tires and sways make a good bit of difference on how it feels.

Dig around on the forum and you'll find all kinda part reviews and whatnot. It's not like talking to someone about their build but it'll give you an idea if you wanna research that mod any further.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

thanks will do!