Terrible luck wih my first wrx!

This is a discussion on Terrible luck wih my first wrx! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So i just bought a 2004 wrx 2.0t a week ago and i loved everything about it. It drove great, ...

Terrible luck wih my first wrx!

So i just bought a 2004 wrx 2.0t a week ago and i loved everything about it. It drove great, had a lot of power and took corners like a beast. Everything was working great until the other day, it was especially cold weather for texas and my car shut off while idling.When i eventuallybgot it to start there was a really bad engine knock. I took it to a mechanic and he said i have a bent connecting rod. Apparently there was a gasket leak causing my engine to hydrolock. Since i tried to forcefully start it by jumping the car in that situation it causd the rod to bend. So now my options are either a full rebuild or buying a new engine it sucks because i literally just bought he car and spentevery dollar i had to get it. Anyone know a good shop in houston?

On the upside for you guys is i have to sell my work emotion cr kais to pay for he repairs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

"Shouldve bought a mustang" -xFallenx

good luck with getting it fixed, nice wheels btw
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I'll be looking for the wheels in the classifieds

...seriously though, good luck. That really sucks.

Well, don't feel too bad...I bought a 2005 Subaru WRX Premium brand new. Owned it for 7 years to where it became a part of the family (it was one year younger than my youngest son). Moved to Florida and got sideswiped while sitting at a stop light and it ended up totaling my '05 (I personally put 144,000 miles on it). So I decided to get a new one with the insurance money as a downpayment...enter my 2013 Plasma Blue Pearl WRX. Owned it for 11 months and someone decided they wanted it, so they stole it...shame on me for parking in my driveway, not my garage. They never found it, so I now have two total losses within a year (that was back in September 2013). I knew Subaru was re-designing the vehicle so bought a crappy 2010 Ford Focus with the insurance money to last me until the 2015 came out. I can't wait to get one back.

Thanks man its pretty hard being a full time student and only having a part time job to come up with that money haha! if you know anyone who wants work wheels just let me know.

Appreciate it! The weathers been kinda bad so i havent been able to take pictures. I will be posting it in the classifieds as soon as possible though.

I think the new wrx looks sick as hell! cant wait for them to start releasing aftermarket parts for it. It has so much potential

Quote Originally Posted by Kg1164 View Post
    Thanks man its pretty hard being a full time student and only having a part time job to come up with that money haha! if you know anyone who wants work wheels just let me know.
    2.0L shortblocks can be had for sometimes as cheap as $500 or so...keep an eye out for one on ebay, Nasioc classifieds...$1000 in labor or a weekend with some buddies and you should be able to replace it and you're saving a boatload of money...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

JDM Subaru Legacy EJ20 Twin Turbo 5 Speed MT Engine | JapanStarMotor
    I saw this one it would take me a little while for me to save up and me and a few friends could get is installed. I heard that the manual transmission is pretty much bolt on for the most part. The hardest part is the wiring but the engine comes wih the ecu and wiring harness. So all i need is the cluth pedal and the driveshaft? is there anythig else im missing?

JDM Subaru Legacy EJ20 Twin Turbo 5 Speed MT Engine | JapanStarMotor
    I saw this one it would take me a little while for me to save up and me and a few friends could get is installed. I heard that the manual transmission is pretty much bolt on for the most part. The hardest part is the wiring but the engine comes wih the ecu and wiring harness. So all i need is the cluth pedal and the driveshaft? is there anythig else im missing?

Yeah that'd be a fun project...good luck with that one.

If you want to just get your car up and running, cheaply and quickly, simply find a used EJ205 shortblock and replace.

If you don't know what you're doing, you'll be in for a headache trying to squeeze a late twin turbo Legacy engine into your WRX. Essentially most Subaru engines are the same, but if you don't have experience doing it, it's not going to be easy. Do you have any idea how to run a wiring harness and replace an ECU? You have to remove the entire interior of the car.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Haha ok good point ill just stick to just replacing the engine with the original ej205 then