Access port question

This is a discussion on Access port question within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; If I was to go stage one when I got my new wrx I need to get it tuned my ...

Access port question

If I was to go stage one when I got my new wrx I need to get it tuned my question is can you borrow some ones Accessport to reflash the ecu and that's it like a one and done sort of deal? Or do you need to have the Accessport connected at all times for the map to stay on the ecu ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm not 100% on this as I don't have it either, but I'm under the impression it will need to put the stock map back onto the ECU before it will unmarry from your car.
    '14 SWP STI

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can't borrow someone's. Once it's connected to your ecu, another person can't use it unless it's unmarried and the map is removed from the owners ecu

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    You can't borrow someone's. Once it's connected to your ecu, another person can't use it unless it's unmarried and the map is removed from the owners ecu
    So on that note is there a huge difference between a V2 and V3 to justify a $300 price difference just to get a tune on the car ?

Quote Originally Posted by xRisk View Post
    So on that note is there a huge difference between a V2 and V3 to justify a $300 price difference just to get a tune on the car ?
    From what I've read, the screen on the V2 can suffer from burn-in if you leave it on too long, so you can't really use it for live monitoring. On the V3, the screen is amazeballs better and you can leave it on all the time to monitor what's going on, and I want to say you can watch 6 things at once.
    '14 SWP STI

I Support ClubWRX
    I just upgraded from the V2 to the V3, I did it because of:

A. Cobb gave me 325 for my current AP that was scratched up and no one wanted for that reason...

B. I wanted to be able to monitor up to 6 parameters at a time

If you don't plan on doing B. above then I don't see why you need to dump the extra money. Yes it loads maps faster, boots faster and the display is awesome...but if you're not going to use the new features daily then you will be fine with the V2.

Quote Originally Posted by xRisk View Post

I am looking into the difference between the v2 and v3 as well, here are my findings. The is MAJOR differences despite what people say. Most people will tell you the only difference is the screen. While this is true, there is much more. The internal components are upgraded significantly, allowing for flashing a LOT faster than the v2. The v3 also has much better logging and diagnostic capabilities along with a more user friendly interface. The v3 also has the ability to show you up to 6 real time gauges on the screen with nearly infinite monitoring possibilities. Some of the gauges include a knock monitor, boost gauge, temperature of almost any component of the engine, and even a shift light... the list goes on. IMO the v3 is absolutely worth the extra money, especially if you are going to be doing a lot of self logging and diagnosing and even just monitoring. If you are just going to flash, take it off, and be done with it then the v2 is satisfactory.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Livin the Stock Life
    Build Thread
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd go V3. It comes with a dash mount, carrying case, they will support it for a much longer time, it has a much better data log interface than the V2. Its screen is better, display is better. If you compare the two side by side, it is a much higher quality unit.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I am in the same boat as you, and a point that someone told me was that Cobb will prob stop loading new maps for the v2. So you might not be able to get the better map for your new wrx.

Of course there is a difference between V2 and V3. You can go to COBB - The most complete vehicle tuning solution on the planet. for details or call them and ask for exact verbal details.

I Support ClubWRX
    Support is something I didn't think about in my previous post...if you're going to go the V2 route I would definitely use the link above and contact Cobb to see how long they will be supporting firmware/maps for the V2. I'd imagine it will be for a while but we won't know until someone asks.

Access port question

Well taking support into account now do you think doing a cob intake and a v2 port and tuning it or just getting the v3 and doing a tune because the intake and v2 are about the same price as the v3 alone.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd just get the V3.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Pay the extra money and go with the V3.
    That is what I have and I personally think it's amazing and well worth the money!