My First WRX 2013 !

This is a discussion on My First WRX 2013 ! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi All, I have been a fan of subies and finally bought one a few weeks back. Love the drive ...

My First WRX 2013 !

Hi All,

I have been a fan of subies and finally bought one a few weeks back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	132826

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	132834

Love the drive but not happy with the Obsidian Black Swirl
    I don't like starting off with complaints but the paint doesn't look good and this was before I washed my car (2 bucket system) . So, user fault is out of question.

It's stock and only have Perfexion Paint Protection and Window Tint by Precision Automotive Technology.
    The car looks pretty good anytime of the day when its cloudy but when I see it in direct sunlight, its a swirly nightmare

Name:	IMG_1845.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	132842

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	132850

I have already talked to the dealership about it and will have it checked on the car's first service/health check.
    They also said that with that paint protection, I don't need any wax/polish as it will void the warranty for the coating they did. Would appreciate any advise here. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Just wait, if you think the swirls are bad, you won't believe how easy the paint chips! It would be a wise investment for a clear bra treatment...I wish I had. This is a very well known weakness of subaru. The paint is super soft. You can bandaid and try all kinds of things, but ultimately, it is a cheap paint job. Only real solution is a re-spray unfortunately.

bummer 're-spray'

Thanks for the advise. Seems like $1000 paint protection was a rip off ?? (I hope not). Lets see what the dealership has to say.

btw...how do you keep yours' swirl free

Edit: its a brand new car
    Last edited by xalloc; 01-26-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xalloc View Post
    bummer
    Black Paint?...You dont, on any car. Soft paint + Black + daily driving = swirls. Just cover that subie in some dirt and be done with it.

bummer 're-spray'

Thanks for the advise. Seems like $1000 paint protection was a rip off ?? (I hope not). Lets see what the dealership has to say.

Edit: its a brand new car
    Let's hope they didn't put any paint sealants over those swirls or it indeed was a bit of rip off, unless you are into protecting the swirls. Of course even if the paint protection came before the swirls it would be removed if you had the swirls removed. The good news is the paint could be brought back to its former glory with a proper detailing job that included paint correction. (this will fix swirls, not paint chips)

Here is a great resource for swirl removal and proper paint care: Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Discussion Forum

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Black Paint?...You dont, on any car. Soft paint + Black + daily driving = swirls. Just cover that subie in some dirt and be done with it.
    I'm pretty sure the swirls don't come out of thin air. They are from improper paint care. You have to be VERY careful each time you touch the car with anything. Most swirls are induced by improper car wash techniques. Some people care, others don't. Soft black paint will make it more of a challenge but the swirls won't just appear from driving the car around, dirt or no dirt.
    2014 WR Blue Pearl WRX Limited Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by 360glitch View Post
    Let's hope they didn't put any paint sealants over those swirls or it indeed was a bit of rip off, unless you are into protecting the swirls. Of course even if the paint protection came before the swirls it would be removed if you had the swirls removed. The good news is the paint could be brought back to its former glory with a proper detailing job that included paint correction. (this will fix swirls, not paint chips)

Here is a great resource for swirl removal and proper paint care: Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Discussion Forum

Soft black paint will make it more of a challenge but the swirls won't just appear from driving the car around, dirt or no dirt.

Thanks for the link. Looks like I have to do a bit of a reading

I hope they fix it considering its a brand new car and I think I made a typo, should be a 2014 as it says MY14 on paper

Get is spray painted white or silver...

In all honestly, dark colors are just prone to having visible swirls. It's the nature of the beast. Try not to worry about it so much, or it will bother you forever. If you're picky like me, try getting a light color next time, so you won't see the swirls as much.

Welcome to the forum!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do