new 2014 WRX DGM hatch owner here

This is a discussion on new 2014 WRX DGM hatch owner here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I took delivery of my WRX base model on Friday and have been enjoying it very much. My WRX will ...

new 2014 WRX DGM hatch owner here

I took delivery of my WRX base model on Friday and have been enjoying it very much. My WRX will be my daily driver and kid hauler. I'm coming from a Mazda5 (with manual trans) and, before that, a 2003 Focus SVT. I've wanted a WRX since they came out but the time was never right until now. The demise of the hatch in 2015 led me to pull the trigger immediately and I'm glad I did, as the supply is already getting tight. My car was obtained via dealer trade from nearly 300 miles away!

It sure is nice to have a car with some power. Staying under 4000 rpm is going to be rough. I've been over it once or twice but I'm trying to restrain myself. I used to own a lightly modded fox body Mustang and I think the WRX pulls a little harder.

I'm planing to keep it stock in order to keep the warranty intact, but I have been considering getting the car protuned at some point by Boxer4Racing in Asheville, which is only about an hour away from me. But first I'm going to tint the windows and have red tail light overlays applied to the tail and brake lights installed at the same time.

Matt
    Last edited by shams42; 01-20-2014 at 11:26 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Awesome man and congrats. Post up some pictures!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase. The DGM (Which is the fastest color, BTW) looks great with the tinted glass (I've got 30 on mine and think its about perfect). Enjoy the car - and once you get to open up your car you'll find it has a good bit more pull than a lightly modded Fox body.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Nice car and colour

If you get it tuned and have a problem down the line Subaru will likely deny any warranty claim because they consider a tune a modification.

The irony is that the car is probably safer with a good tune than the factory tune. C'est la vie I guess...

Thanks everyone. You can see from my join date (2004) that I've wanted one of these for a while.

So far I'm averaging about 21 mpg. What are you guys getting? Does the fuel economy improve as the engine breaks in?

I'm at about 400 miles on the car now. I notice that after a drive, the car has a bit of a smell reminiscent of hot or scorched plastic. I don't smell anything inside the car while driving it, it's just something I notice after parking in the garage. Is this normal?

Also, I think my oil reservoir is overfilled. It's filled up to the notch in the dipstick above the upper hole. Should I drain some little out?

Around the city Ill get 21-23 highway 25-27. On the highway the most I have seen is 31.2 mpg, which was banging. When I first had my car < 1000K miles, there was weird smells all the time. My wife even said it a few times, but the more I have driven it and broke it in all the smells went away.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    COBB SF Intake l Catless Invidia N1 Race l Torqued Performance Stage 2 Tune
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do